Epic Mickey

Schwaltzvald

Okay so perhaps others who occasionally visits /v/ or other major game related sites may already have seen news of this but...

em3castle_dwn_view-thumb-620x372-24.jpg

em13beetleworx_6.jpg

What...?

This seems to go beyond what Kingdom Hearts have done that's for sure but...

I don't even...

First thought the concept art were parody work or just fan stuff much like the whole I, Mario thing was but this seems to be actually official.

More here

God! First that damn ducktales thing

I actually loled at that because it always struck me as odd seeing him dive into a pool of gold coins as if it was nothing more than a pool of packaging peanuts that were spray painted yellow as I got older; never cared enough way way way back. :lol:

However this upcoming title, for the Wii of all systems... Seriously..? Not bashing for their choice of systems and yet I'm almost compelled to as I have no idea how Nintendo would let this fly if it's anything as I'm currently imagining it will turn out. I'm basically thinking along the lines of Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series mashed with American McGee's "Alice".

castle_side02.jpg

Especially this one...

em12beetle-things.jpg

I actually loled at that because it always struck me as odd seeing him dive into a pool of gold coins as if it was nothing more than a pool of packaging peanuts that were spray painted yellow as I got older; never cared enough way way way back. :lol:

Pool of WATER would've been acceptable too....

However this upcoming title, for the Wii of all systems... Seriously..? Not bashing for their choice of systems and yet I'm almost compelled to as I have no idea how Nintendo would let this fly

Because Nintendo is awesome. Case closed. I might actually have to rent this game when and if it comes out.

Pool of WATER would've been acceptable too....

Because Nintendo is awesome. Case closed. I might actually have to rent this game when and if it comes out.

Pool of water would have been fine but doesn't emulate the whole "swimming in gold coins" thing too well; besides I'm not approaching realism any more than the original creators were when they made the series. :lol:

And I'm all for an awesome game to come out, I'm just curious as to how it will turn out. Remember how recently the "expansion" of Deadspace is essentially on rails..? That sure as hell squashed my interests in it for the time being.

As for Epic Mickey, I'd be all over it if it turns out to be awesome. :)!!

Don't believe anything Kotaku says about the gameplay.

The "gameplay" they're describing was what one person on the neogaf forums said he thought it might be, and cvg (one of the most irresponsible websites in existence for videogame news) took that and ran it as news, hence, Kotaku's source.

CVG is, after all, a website that called the new countdown on Square's website a "Final Fantasy VII Countdown" only because somewhere on the countdown it had the roman numerals VII.

And how did that turn out? Yeah.... not 7 related.

Don't believe anything Kotaku says about the gameplay.

The "gameplay" they're describing was what one person on the neogaf forums said he thought it might be, and cvg (one of the most irresponsible websites in existence for videogame news) took that and ran it as news, hence, Kotaku's source.

Ah if that's the case then some one needs to update the Deadspace: Extraction wiki page as it still describes the gameplay as a first person rail-shooter...

Still though I can't wait to find out more about EM.

People bitch about there not being enough Wii exclusive games, and then when there is, they bitch about it being exclusive! >:P

In my day, if we got a game at all for Christmas, we were lucky. Those were the days of Paperboy TWO! And ROBOTREK! We actually played the games that were available to us, and not worry about what was coming out for Sega Genesis...

Don't worry your pretty little head. We don't even know if the game is going to be that awesome.

Ah if that's the case then some one needs to update the Deadspace: Extraction wiki page as it still describes the gameplay as a first person rail-shooter...

Still though I can't wait to find out more about EM.

I think he was referring to Epic Mickey, not Dead Space.

Just a possibility. I haven't really followed either game.

I first thought this was another "I, Mario" like project: fan-made, just for fun, kind of an experiment in design...

From the looks of the art, it might be... some post-apocalyptic steampunk setting, maybe? The fact that Mickey, Goofy, and... Dumbo, I guess, all look like reconstructed automatons kind of tells me the theme park was remade into a series of ships (and the castle was left by itself on the plateau).

Maybe the frozen brain of Walt Disney destroyed the world and is leading his theme park army on a mission to cleanse the earth of humanity. Exciting.

Take all of this with a huge grain of salt, but it's the most information about this thing I've been able to find in one place. Rumors are about all we've got at this point.

When it was announced that Warren Spector, the creator of beloved cyberpunk shooter Deus Ex and one of the main talents at Ion Storm, had started working at Disney-owned Junction Point studio after Ion Storm broke apart there was lots of skepticism. In the past few days rumors and leaked concept art of his new project, going by the code name "Epic Mickey" has surfaced, and it's awesome.

So far there's little more than rumors about the actual nature of the game. So far the rumors say that the game is about lesser-known and forgotten Disney characters trying to get their revenge of Mickey Mouse, and that it will be a Wii-exclusive platformer that uses an Okami-like drawing mechanic.

Even without much information on the game the concept and the general look they're establishing has me excited as hell. Using iconic childhood imagery to cobble together surreal, nightmarish contraptions (like the harvester subs having the faces of the 7 Dwarves on front and the teacups from the Alice in Wonderland ride on their backs, as well as the omnipresent four-fingered white gloves Mickey Mouse wears being on everything) not only looks amazing but shows a surprising amount of inventiveness from Disney, considering how protective they've always been of their characters.

So far all I've managed to find is a few blog posts on the subject, sadly. Joystiq seems to have the most concept art but gathering it is an ongoing effort; everything that's been found has been scoured from resumes and portfolios of concept artists, and more seems to be popping up everyday. So I guess until more concrete information comes out this can be a thread to collect information as it appears.

Essentially, it will in some respects follow "Okami" in regards to Mickey (& Co?) restoring Disney Land to its former glory after these forgotten/less-known characters Bel-Aired it to oblivion and beyond; Much like how Amaterasu had to restore the former beauty of Japan along with clearing out the demons in "Okami"..?

They better use that adapter for the wiimotes to its full potential if that's the case.

Essentially, it will in some respects follow "Okami" in regards to Mickey (& Co?) restoring Disney Land to its former glory after these forgotten/less-known characters Bel-Aired it to oblivion and beyond; Much like how Amaterasu had to restore the former beauty of Japan along with clearing out the demons in "Okami"..?.

They could also have a lot of fun using this considering the hand-drawn nature of Disney classic animation. This could be amazing. It could also explain Wii-exclusivity (if that is, in fact, true).