OCR01995 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 'Link to the Mask'

Palpable

Remixer Name: Nubioso

E-Mail: nubioso@gmail.com

User ID: 22981

Games Remixed: Legend of Zelda - Majoras Mask

Songs Remixed: Oath to order, Stone Tower

System: N64

Source: Oath to Order - http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/n64/Oath_To_Order.mid

Stone Tower - http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/n64/Stone_Tower_Temple_v3.mid

Additional Comments:

I've already said it to quite a few people at OCremix since joining here, but it was Zircons "Monstrous Turtles" remix that had really inspired me to do something of my own. I really liked his style in that song and wanted to incorporate a little bit of that in my own.

I also noticed that there was only one Majoras mask remix and personally I really liked the game so that was just another pushing factor in me wanting to do this game in particular. Somewhere throughout this project I thought it might be fun to make it as though you're playing the game through song. You get the interaction of the characters, a story behind it, and a song to keep it interesting....a musical meant for radio I suppose =P

It was a very fun project to take on and I'm very appreciative of all the people who helped me to get it where it is by their critiques and wonderful comments.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/12211 - 245 "Calling the Four Giants", 243 "Stone Tower Temple (Reality)"

Love the way this arrangement is set up like a rock opera or musical. Very creative multi-part song that flows reasonably well, good use of in-game sounds. I hear the "Monstrous Turtles" influence in the first half, and I think the first half really outshines the second. When the second half kicks in at 2:29, it was sort of a letdown and I don't think the synth handling the Stone Temple melody was doing the song favors. It was dry and unprocessed, and the section sounded lackluster. The bass in that section was sort of cheap-sounding too, but it gets covered pretty quickly. The vocals at 1:03 and 2:04 also sound like a not-that-great recording, especially compared to the other vocal parts, and they could have been mixed in better. I guess when all of these problems happen in one section (2:29), it shows the most.

I dunno, I guess I could be nitpicking, so we'll see how this goes. I really like the arrangement and I think more rock opera-type stuff would be great for OCR. I don't feel like I could articulate my issues with the production that well, but maybe someone else can give you more advice.

NO (resubmit)

EDIT (11/6): Weird, I relistened to this based on the YES votes and didn't have a problem with the synth. It sticks out, but it didn't bother me this time through. The vocal recording quality also didn't sound as bad as I remembered. I think I was nitpicking this, and I'm changing my vote. I'll also add that arrangement-wise, this timestamps at around 55% for me (0:55-1:28, 2:12-3:16, 3:28-4:22). Could have used more source, but I'm ok with this level.

YES

production starts out awesome and does take a bit of a dive, mainly in the areas Vinnie mentioned, but The concept and arrangement are super awesome.

I'd say overall that the production in the middle section is the only thing truly holding this back- i don't think the synth is as important as the vocals being crystal clear. In a mix like this, it's crucial.

If you can clean up or re-record the middle section vocals, i'd be happy giving this track a yes. Until then, and in the interest of making this song as good as it can be, I gotta give it up to

no, resubmit

• 2 weeks later...

You guys are wrong and mean. :tomatoface:

This remix is strong in both production and arrangement. The vocals doesn't sound forced and are well performed (remember to give the girl some credit too). I definitely don't think that the second section has enough issues to make this a no. The bass sounds a bit cheap but it's covered up reasonably well and works in the setting, the synths might not be the most sophisticated but they're definitely not so bad you can NO this based on them. I thought the vocals during this section were audible, while they could've been slightly louder I had no problem hearing them and they sat quite well in the mix. The first part, like you said, is incredibly strong.

The arrangement melds the sources reasonably well and adds some great interpretation when it comes to vocals and beats. The different "styles" really work with the parts of the story told by the vocals. Heck, the vocal delivery was definitely a notch above what we usually get. Gave me an old-school Gorillaz vibe. Had to double check to see that it wasn't too liberal but it checks out. The intro seems unconnected but there's enough source to go around in the rest of the track.

Really, I can't NO this based on the second part. It wasn't fantastic but it sure as hell wasn't BAD. I think it worked well, the vocals certainly kicked it up a notch and the remix as a package is well crafted and just straight up good. Screw you guys, I'm going yes.

YES

You guys are wrong and mean. :tomatoface:

I suppose the same could be said about you or me or any of us depending on the song :-)

Couple things, why is there no credit on the extra vox in your mix? Seems kind of odd that there's no pimpage mentioned to the opening vocalist.

Aight here's the deal, I can't decide if this is awesome or cheesy. I think it's kind of the child of both :)

Don't worry though, I'm giving you mad points just for the fact that this track is like on of the most fresh I've EVER heard on the panel. We have nothing like this on the site, I don't think, so that definitely works in Josh's favor here.

I don't have any critical gripes on the production. And the sheer uniqueness of the arrangement tell me this should really be a pretty obvious one-way call. Step aside, dudes, let this one on through.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Hey brodingtons, can someone timestamp me some source usage in the first half of the mix? I can't really hear anything I'd call obvious usage of either Oath to Order (what he said he mixed) and Calling the Four Giants (the MIDI he actually linked, and given the lyrics what I'm assuming he mixed), and the mix is pretty overtly Stone Tower Temple from 2:12 to the end save for a short break, so I feel like I'm missing something obvious. The closest I could come up with is the music boxy accompaniment from 0:55 to 1:28, which I guess with a stretch could be derived from the guitar in Calling the Four Giants from 0:08 to 0:25.

That's basically the only thing preventing me from YESing this. Excellent arrangement idea with some nice performances, and holding this up on production would just be nitpicking.

Hey brodingtons, can someone timestamp me some source usage in the first half of the mix? I can't really hear anything I'd call obvious usage of either Oath to Order (what he said he mixed) and Calling the Four Giants (the MIDI he actually linked, and given the lyrics what I'm assuming he mixed), and the mix is pretty overtly Stone Tower Temple from 2:12 to the end save for a short break, so I feel like I'm missing something obvious. The closest I could come up with is the music boxy accompaniment from 0:55 to 1:28, which I guess with a stretch could be derived from the guitar in Calling the Four Giants from 0:08 to 0:25.

That's basically the only thing preventing me from YESing this. Excellent arrangement idea with some nice performances, and holding this up on production would just be nitpicking.

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/n64/Oath_To_Order.mid is used all over the first part. Both the arpeggio and the actual chords. Also, you'll have to find the link yourself because I LIKE HOTLINKING.

(also, welcome back 'Ili)

I felt the music boxy part was close enough to the source, following that arpeggio pretty closely, but your timestamp is right. I don't think there's any other source in the first half.

Also, I changed my vote, see above.

I gave the mix and Calling the Four Giants another listen, and I'm cool with the music box; for some reason I was hesitant about it, but it's one of the more distinctive parts of the source and still fairly recognizable despite the modifications (I mean, I caught it, right?). Thanks, bromigos.

YES'd like hell

If he wants to revise the vocal part, that'd be great, but I think this is absolutely fine for posting as is.

So first, I don't think there's anything seriously wrong with the vocal recording. The lyrics, on the other hand, are cheesy as hell. Is this a remix or a radio drama? The production is pretty good, although the kick and snare aren't loud enough for hip hop. but whatever. There are clearly good arrangement ideas here, but the structure of the song is choppy to say the least. I'd love the tune if it were organized into some sort of linear and overarching song structure rather than a collection of separate musical soliloquies. The pauses between sections...just kill the energy.

You've got good musical ideas, but you need to figure out how to integrate them into a well-defined whole.

NO

I'm with AnSo/Jimmeh here.

I can't hear anything out of place. The vocals sound clean, the production style works. It's hella cheesy, but thats coo with me. The time stamps by my fellow J's check out. I especially enjoyed the flute/ocarina breakdown. Nothing to add that hasn't been said really.

Link be pimpin' yo.

YES