Max Submission Size Raised to 8MiB

djpretzel

Effective immediately, the judges panel has voted to raise the maximum submission size to 8MiB, or 8,388,608 bytes.

• The max bitrate REMAINS 192Kbps; if you want to visit my house and prove you can pass a blind test differentiating between 192Kbps and 256Kbps, be my guest. If you win, the bitrate will be raised. If you lose, you owe OC ReMix $300 for my time :nicework:
  • This decision was reached by vote of the judges panel on a thread I posted; our mirrors are handling MP3 bandwidth admirably and, combined with torrents, have proven that this increase should be sustainable, so I posed the question and the judges responded.
  • If you already have a piece queued up you think would benefit from a higher quality encode, please get in touch with a judge, BUT please note that any such changes may delay the evaluation of your track. I'd recommend against it unless it's a 6-7 minute track where the encode really brutalized things.
  • As to the logical follow up question of "OMFG WHY NOT 10MB?! OR EVEN... 100MB!!!?", well, to be honest 6MiB has been serving us quite well for a long time. There are logistics involved at OCR that are fairly unique, and specifically when you factor in the (necessarily) manual evaluation of both arrangement and production PLUS the general deterrence towards mega-medleys, etc., we feel it makes a lot of sense.
  • We are considering going back and soliciting higher quality encodes of mixes ALREADY posted, but have not formalized any plans. Please don't ask to update any existing tracks you may have had posted on the site, as we won't do it - in other words, don't call us, we'll call you.

That's it, pretty much. While I'm sure someone can manage to put a negative spin on this by complaining that it took us too long, that it should be raised higher still, or that Larry smells (only one of which is true), I see it as a "good thing" that represents our steady, stable, persistent improvement of the site over time.

With the improved tags and mp3-validated files and now this, I think a massive file replacement should be considered. iirc, Valse Aeris on the site was encoded low to fit the 6 MB limit, and I'm sure there are other examples. With new encoding comes the opportunity to fix things in the mix too, at least for ppl who still have project files and whatever tools and resources they used.

In any case, this'll be great for future 10-minute works. :D

Your submission must have a strong focus and direction. Medleys must sound like a single song, not multiple songs pasted together.

That's section 3-2 if you're looking. There's no hate against medleys, but there's a deterrence towards mega-medleys that aren't cohesively structured. "Fire Cross" is a great example of one that flows well. Even "Speedy Guitar", with its abrupt changeups, works very well. But the ones with 30 seconds of one theme, 30 of the next, 30 of the next, etc. for 6-8 minutes with no flow, we're never gonna roll with.

I would just like to clarify that I do in fact hate medleys. All medleys from now on will be met with severe contempt and maximum obstruction by me. Also, I hate all electronica and jazz. Any such pieces will be auto-rejected. We will only be accepting rock or metal remixes from now on.

Yeah, but that's nothing new

I would just like to clarify that I do in fact hate medleys. All medleys from now on will be met with severe contempt and maximum obstruction by me. Also, I hate all electronica and jazz. Any such pieces will be auto-rejected. We will only be accepting rock or metal remixes from now on.

Okay, this turned into OCDoD. Wonderful.

Can someone convince Disco Dan to re-sub his Megaman 3 title remix under the new standards? There's a song that had some low encoding. Just looked at the mix specs: 8:41 at 96 kbps. I loved that song.

It's always great to see such improvements come through. So I'll start making remixes that are 1:30 in lenths at 320 kbps, ya? :tomatoface: