OCR00405 - Super Mario 64 "Sunken Suite"

Ginnsu

WOW

<speechless>

I absolutely love the original, but i never thought you could change it into something like this :D

Its like when you've been watching some epic movie and you've done your best not to shed a tear in front of anyone, then as the movies winding up the music changes the mood to happily ever after which makes tears burst out even worse out of total happiness :oops:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

To start, this song is as good as everyone says, bla bla bla [insert usual compliments]

... but it still could be a little better. My only complaints are with the marching percussion's entrance and their crescendos in the middle... they're just too loud, to the point of any audio system I use (PC speakers, CD Player + Headphones, etc) needs to be turned down just to deal with the noise.

The effect of it is just fine, but it just gets too loud, I would've liked a little bit of a quieter entrance and possibly a LITTLE quieter exit.

Just being picky for a good song.

EDIT: Yeah, ran it through sound forge, now I know what the term is, the song's clipping during the perc. feature.

• 2 weeks later...

I love this remix, definitely one of my top 10. the piano and strings at the beginning draw you in, particularly the cello (or is it a bass, I'm not a musicalologist). it sets up this beautiful mood, and oddly enough, the appearance of the percussion only augments it, leading perfectly into the second half of the piece. the drums might be just a touch heavy, but personally I don't mind it.

in fact, the only problem I have with the piece is that it's so short. it's wonderful the way it is, but a tiny part of me wishes it would've kept going.

Every game has it's own what I like to call "Uber-ReMix."

This is, without a doubt, Super Mario 64's Uber-ReMix. 8)

Unfortunately, I came to associate it with the first time I met my (now ex) girlfriend, and I can't listen to it anymore without crying. :(

Wow...I loved the original music from SM64 but this...this is a masterpiece! 8O

My only problem, as someone else stated, was that the precussion came in a little strong. The crescendoes were lovely, as well as the piano melody. I'm a sucker for piano :oops: ! I could listen to this song for HOURS. I would like to congratulate djpretzel for such an outstanding job on this already terrific song.

Yay, my first semi-review of a song!

Mike

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been addicted to OCR for a little over a year now, and this is, hands down, the single best remix that I've heard to date. Djp has really outdone himself, and I just wanted to join in the chorus of praise for this amazing masterpiece. It's uplifting, yet somehow haunting...great work, djp, and thanks for everything u do here at OCR. :)

This was the very first song that I checked out here at OCR, so I thought it would be appropriate that it be my first review.

My favorite music in Super Mario 64 is the Jolly Roger Bay music, and this remix really does it justice. Like some others have commented, I think the drums come on a bit strong at the end (And when all is said and done, I actually prefer The Wingless' PearlSong), but the fact that I get goose bumps every time the violin/piano combination comes on at the 0:20 mark secures this remix in my top 10. Excellent, excellent work.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

On ormagas.com, as a rating scale, they tell you, "...1 (sucks donkey butter) to 5 (this song will play on my wedding day)..." I give this a full 5. YES, I WANT THIS SONG TO PLAY AT MY WEDDING. Yeah, maybe I'm weird, or maybe I just have a soft spot for our favorite short Italian plumber, but it really is gorgeous. This was my favorite song from Mario 64, and one of the first songs I downloaded here. Since then, I've sought out nearly everything djpretzel has done, whether I've played the game or not (I'm not done yet...did you SEE the list of songs he has???). Good...no...GREAT job, djpretzel.

• 1 month later...

Even this is one of the older (relatively) remixes on the site, this remains as one of my favorites. It doesn't mess around with slow melodies and jumps straight into telling a story. Piano and synth whatever in the background start it off and keep the tempo for the entire song.

My personal favorite part comes at 0:54, when the piano cuts to the underwater theme and plays the tune. It's as if the clouds of the song pull back and tell you "THIS is what this song is about." And it carries on from there.

The drums that come in 1:34 are most likely the centerpiece and highlight of the song. When they start hammering away 1:47 or so and builds in strenth and intensity... Wow. I always crank the volume at the second drum-raise at 2:17 until the sudden and abrupt end of the crescendo.

Anyway, a masterfully done piece by one of the best remixers on the site.

-Dust

Good god. I just heard this on the OC radio station, and slapped myself for never having discovered it before. This is the kind of song I'm going to end up playing again and again; during moments of extreme elation and happiness, to enhance those feelings, as the music itself is so joyful and symphonic. And during times of sorrow and pain, I will also slap it into the 'ole mp3 player, to remind myself that beauty still exists in the world.

Very, very, very, extremely ultimately fantastically good job, Pretzel. This is easily and instantly one of my favorite OC mixes, ever. A truly stunning and beautiful piece.

[/gushing praise]

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00405 - Super Mario 64 "Sunken Suite"