OCR00405 - Super Mario 64 "Sunken Suite"

Ginnsu

Super Mario 64 'Sunken Suite'

Ok, first off, I just have to say that everything by djpretzel is amazing. And, believe it or not, I’m just saying that because this is his site, and he’s the one telling me what to do here. As for this mix, it starts off with a smooth melodic piano which is very soothing on the ears. If you’re waiting for some moving musical excitement, wait for the drums to kick in at around 1:33, where it sounds like an orchestral rendition of a national anthem. It must be the anthem for the Mushroom Kingdom. Then once the anthem ends, the chimes tinkle and we fade out of our dreams of Mario’s world. So yes, this one is kind of... how can I say this best? What about soft and mushy? A far cry from the usual electronic sounds we get around here. This one is defiantly one I’d repeat and listen to a couple times.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is one of the best mixes on this site. Nintendo should've had this to replace that stages current music. Sure the percussion goes a little overboard, but I'm not complaining because it suited the peice perfectly. A nice strong closure with the quiet finish. I hope DJ Pretzel makes more like this one. If this were a movie review... 5 stars :wink:

This is a good remix, but seeing as how I like listen to the Water Theme daily, I really wished it could have been more true to the original, with a stronger/louder melody, and redone drums to make them A) more subtle and B) more true. Otherwise, great.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

....WOW. Beatiful. Just beatiful. I don't usually review songs that have more than 3 or so, but for this one, I have to make an exception. At first you may have a tough time figuring out what song it is, but in a little bit, you'll figure it out and sit in awe. True, at the end, the percussion is a bit loud, but it's still amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

This is, to be frank, the most stunningly beautiful remix I've ever heard. The water theme from Mario 64 has been my favorite piece of game music since my 10 year old hands first picked up an N64 controller in late '96, and to hear it remixed with so much care, beauty, and obvious talent is wonderful. I especially enjoyed the shatter\glitter effect at the 1:46 mark, right before the finale. I don't know much about remixing music, but I know that DJPretzel is the most talented Remixer I have ever come across. Excelsior!!

• 1 month later...

There's nothing I can say about this mix that hasn't already been said. In my opinion it's one of the best songs on this site, and djpretzel is a musical genius for taking the best song on the Mario 64 soundtrack and making it even better. If you haven't downlaoded this song yet, you better have just found out about OCR yesterday or something. In any case, if you don't have it, GET IT NOW!

-DCT

I'm probably repeating what's been said, but I just wanted to express my deep attachment and appreciation for this song. Unless my memory is faulty (which, the majority of the time it is) I think I read from someone that the drums weren't that great. The drum crescendo is actually my favourite part, as it gives me the impression of Mario doing the canonball dive into the waters. The chimes have a great effect for water splashs, and the ending gives the feeling of the waters resuming a calm state. This is definitely one of the best ReMixes on the site.

• 1 month later...

OCR's resident site administrator, DJ Pretzel, puts forth an excellent take on the Dire, Dire Docks/Jolly Roger Bay theme from Super Mario 64 in his ReMix "Sunken Suite". The song starts off with a lead-in apparently composed by Pretzel himself, which is in itself very well-done, before the theme breaks out into the music from Super Mario 64 itself. The piano is accompanied by samples of supporting strings and something in the way of a "distant guitar", so to speak (DJ Pretzel named the sound as vibes, I believe) as well as an English Horn, which I would not have been able to pick out had not the ReMixer mentioned it in his own review. A drumbeat in the backround comes into the piece about two-thirds through and gives the piece a much more lively feel while still keeping in with the general ambience of Pretzel's rendition of that unforgettable underwater theme from SM64. The piece closes with the piano slowly playing out a few bars of the tune before this superb song finally closes.

The Dire, Dire Docks theme was probably the best song in SM64 in the way of composition and giving a real ambience to the levels in which it was included. That theme stuck in my mind the first time I heard it played in Jolly Roger Bay six or seven years ago now, my introduction to the Nintendo 64, and has been embedded in my memory ever since. DJ Pretezel does justice to one of Koji Kondo's most atmoshperic pieces with his "Sunken Suite", and I thoroughly enjoy it. I recommend that you download this one, as it is one of OCR's site administrator's best ReMixes and is worthy of recognition by all accounts.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I remember back in the day that this was released. It seemed that everybody hated it or had some gripe about it. It was something about the tempo or the key of the song that got people furious. That was shortly before the "Great Exodus" or whatever people want to call it.

Truthfully, there was nothing wrong with this song. Time has passed and people now see it for what it really is: a work of art. I'll say now what I said then: this is an incredibly well done arrangement that shows the craftsmanship of a phenomenal musician.

Not only is this one of DJ Pretzel's best pieces of music, it is one of the best on this entire database and one of the best videogame rearrangements ever.

I'm editing my post from a while back. I'm advising you to get this song. It is still the best song on this site, and one of the best instrumental pieces I have ever heard. HANDS DOWN. And there's a TON of good stuff on this site. This song makes me want to do 2 things. Get the hell up and Dance, and learn how to play the drums.

You're still reading...why? You don't get it, do you. You should have clicked 'back' a long time ago. You'll understand once you hear it. You might as well just loop it. I play it in my car driving to work. It just stays on repeat.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00405 - Super Mario 64 "Sunken Suite"