OCR00405 - Super Mario 64 "Sunken Suite"

Ginnsu

This song is almost like something straight of a movie soundtrack.

Imagine, its a race (like in Chariots of Fire or Seabiscuit).

The beginning is the people all getting ready to go.

When the main theme comes in (54 sec.), that's when the race has started. All you see is the man firing the gun (no sound) and the people start racing off.

The main hero is behind, but keeping up with the crowd. The camera shifts to the audience cheering for the hero running at 1:14 with the new strings.

At 1:34 with the snare drum coming in, the hero gets his second wind and starts pulling forward. At 1:50, he's now up in 2nd place.

From here to 2:08, he's gaining on first place. At 2:08, he barely pulls ahead and the finish line is seen. And at 2:28, the camera freezes on the frame where he runs over the finish line in first, with the guy right behind him. Then the camera blurs and fades out.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I created an account here JUST for this song. I've been going to OCremix for years, gathering nearly every song on this site, but always too lazy to create an account, or I just forget. I don't know why I'm so late in posting this, seeing as I've had this song since it was new and just posted here, but holy shit this song is orgasmic. It's perfect for that Happy Time moment, a good song to listen to before bed, a song you can listen to while doing homework, etc, it just fits about nearly every mood, yet never makes me feel bad. It's just so... perfect in my ears. Id'e learn piano and get some friends and play just this song if I had the time/money to do so :). Thank you, djpretzel, for this magnificent and enthrilling piece. This is my #1 favourite song on the site (With Super Metroid songs following, since that is my most favourite game EVER).

• 3 months later...

I've been a part of OCR for nearly two years, been visiting the site as a non-member for quite a lot longer than that, and somehow this remix has gone unnoticed by me until just now. I don't understand how...

The Water Theme from Super Mario 64 is among my favourite VG tunes of all time and I've heard a great many mixes of it in my time. Some good. Some bad. Sunken Suite here is, by far, the most fully realized remix/rearrangement of the Water Theme that I have yet to come across.

My iPod has found a new permanent addition.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Truly magnificent! I do not think i've yet to hear a remix by you that can top this one! Amazing work on creating a masterpiece that focuses on orchestral arrangements that brings out the life of the original. I actually used this for my music appreciation class in college a few years back to turn in for a certain beat. This fit in perfectly!

Great work and I salute your efforts to bring this type of music to those who love to hear these mixes!

-Lon

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Pretty classy stuff, with a nice soundscape and the snare at the end was a nice touch. I definitely hear the Dale North and Matt Pollard connection, though the drums were a bit more bombastic than what they would do.

The arrangement is short but sweet, and it's a good original song to cover, easily the best track in SMB64. No reason to not check this one out, It's good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh....such beautiful music, good sir! The piano was SO good, and when the drums kick in, holy shit! This has....em....let's see if I can say it right, a kind of classy heroic anthemish thing going on in the middle, and it really blows me away before ending on that piano again. It's just one of those ReMixes that are so amazing, they seem to go by really fast and truly make me want more. Thank goodness for the repeat button.

• 5 months later...

I absolutely love this song. Maybe the official re-tweet will forgive my thread necromancy here , but I think it's time I took this into Audacity (unless someone has a better Linux tool they'd recommend) and dropped the intensity on the drum entrance. It's just too heavy for me.

I know most modern music for TV and small movies is synth rather than orchestral, but it can be really jarring when you go from something that's beautifully orchestral and natural sounding to some painfully obvious synth trumpet or sax; or in this case drums.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00405 - Super Mario 64 "Sunken Suite"