Sonic 3 Final Boss WIP

Kruai

Hi! I'm working on a remix to an old song. I'm about three hours in and I'd like to know what you think of it. I try my best to mix lots of genres and make it sound like something people aren't accustomed to hearing. If you have any suggestions or critiques, please let me know!

http://www.mediafire.com/?ynxhywx3thw

Also, it doesn't have a name yet. If you have suggestions for that I'll gladly accept them as well :)

Thanks!

Kruai

Edit: Whoops, noticed the random cutoff at the end. Pretend there's a fade there >.>

Hi! I'm working on a remix to an old song. I'm about three hours in and I'd like to know what you think of it. I try my best to mix lots of genres and make it sound like something people aren't accustomed to hearing. If you have any suggestions or critiques, please let me know!

http://www.mediafire.com/?ynxhywx3thw

Also, it doesn't have a name yet. If you have suggestions for that I'll gladly accept them as well :)

Thanks!

Kruai

Edit: Whoops, noticed the random cutoff at the end. Pretend there's a fade there >.>

I haven't listened yet, but you need to do somethin about that file size.

File size has to be < 6 MB.

NOW onto the listening part:

That reverse cymbal at :18 is very fake sounding and a teeny bit off rhythm.

I'm LOVIN it afterwards. Especially when the piano comes in. It's lacking a lot in terms of bass though... I'm not getting any vibrations from my subwoofer. However, I really think the guitar doesn't really fit... I think an electric guitar would do more nicely.

I would use a different guitar. An electric guitar would work better. I like the drum pattern you got. Otherwise, I like what you got so far.

Ain't that what I just said?

Bah, never mind.

I agree; electric guitar= works better.

And for that fast arpeggio, I don't recommend using a sax for that. Try using the piano there instead. Put a little more decay on the piano's reverb. And I don't recommend using just quarter notes for the piano either. If there's a space between the notes, hold it down. :)

And my previous advice:

Add a big meaty bassline. xD

And this goes for all instruments: add some reverb. :)

Ain't that what I just said?

Bah, never mind.

I agree; electric guitar= works better.

Yeah you did... my bad

And for that fast arpeggio, I don't recommend using a sax for that. Try using the piano there instead. Put a little more decay on the piano's reverb. And I don't recommend using just quarter notes for the piano either. If there's a space between the notes, hold it down. :)

And my previous advice:

Add a big meaty bassline. xD

And this goes for all instruments: add some reverb. :)

You think the OP should implement that synth bass he has been using in the track would fill that low a bit more or use a different quality one for certain parts?

Yeah you did... my bad

You think the OP should implement that synth bass he has been using in the track would fill that low a bit more or use a different quality one for certain parts?

I'm not getting much on the lower end of the freq.

I even OVER EQ'd that part and still no real bassline... It's either too high and/or just too damn quiet.

All right, I'll make some parts rock guitar (though I'm not very good with that effect), but I'd rather not change it for the part at 2:33. It would kinda kill the polka effect.

I'll try to lower/amplify the bassline, dunny why I made it so quiet in this song. I guess I thought it sounded a bit too busy. But without bass it makes me kind of depressed.

Also sorry about that file size, I'll change that next time (I just like 320KBPS).

All right, I'll make some parts rock guitar (though I'm not very good with that effect), but I'd rather not change it for the part at 2:33. It would kinda kill the polka effect.

I'll try to lower/amplify the bassline, dunny why I made it so quiet in this song. I guess I thought it sounded a bit too busy. But without bass it makes me kind of depressed.

Also sorry about that file size, I'll change that next time (I just like 320KBPS).

Limit's 192 KBPS =)

And about the electric guitar

DO NOT USE A FRIKKIN SAMPLE

When you want an electric guitar you should find someone to play it for you, or you can just stay with what you have right now.

BUT DON'T USE A SAMPLE. :/

And about the bass, if it sounds too busy just don't make it do much. Keep it at an audible volume. :/ If it sounds busy, don't make it play so many notes or make the patterns it plays simple.

Limit's 192 KBPS =)

And about the electric guitar

DO NOT USE A FRIKKIN SAMPLE

When you want an electric guitar you should find someone to play it for you, or you can just stay with what you have right now.

BUT DON'T USE A SAMPLE. :/

And about the bass, if it sounds too busy just don't make it do much. Keep it at an audible volume. :/ If it sounds busy, don't make it play so many notes or make the patterns it plays simple.

All right so here's the dealio. Done doing most of what I want to do with it for WIP2, but I'm glad I saw what you said because I was seriously considering doing that. What I have now for the rock guitar is a pretty mediocre sounding amp layered on top of the original guitar. Unless I can find somebody to play it (or a good VST to cover me), I'm gonna stick with clean guitar.

Thanks! I'll post my WIP2 soon.

All right, here I am with WIP2. Sorry, I feel really attached to the clean-sounding guitar for some reason and I don't like the sound of my rock guitar. Hope you like it anyway. Does it sound better, despite the fact that I didn't change the guitar?

http://www.mediafire.com/?yz2qtw3wm1o

Thanks again!

I pretty much implied this:

I don't think I would've liked your rock guitar either (it's a sample).

Pros:

Arrangement is spot on.

Production is doing a LOT better.

Cons:

That reverse cymbal is still very unrealistic. I suggest giving it a lot of reverb.

And this is purely by my opinion but...

When that clean guitar comes in at 2:45 I think it completely throws off the rock/techno-ish groove you had going, because it's like a complete genre change to folksy type music with a rock/techno groove in the background... I don't like it, I'm not gonna say it doesn't fit and should be removed, I'm just giving you my input.

Also at the VERY end (around 3:45) you should give another run of the main melody (or whatever that is at 1:12, chorus I guess you'd call it) because I was practically screaming for another one and I was disappointed to hear it end.

Also, in the very beginning, is that supposed to be an organ? It sounds like an organ/synth pad.

I pretty much implied this:

I don't think I would've liked your rock guitar either (it's a sample).

Pros:

Arrangement is spot on.

Production is doing a LOT better.

Cons:

That reverse cymbal is still very unrealistic. I suggest giving it a lot of reverb.

And this is purely by my opinion but...

When that clean guitar comes in at 2:45 I think it completely throws off the rock/techno-ish groove you had going, because it's like a complete genre change to folksy type music with a rock/techno groove in the background... I don't like it, I'm not gonna say it doesn't fit and should be removed, I'm just giving you my input.

Also at the VERY end (around 3:45) you should give another run of the main melody (or whatever that is at 1:12, chorus I guess you'd call it) because I was practically screaming for another one and I was disappointed to hear it end.

Also, in the very beginning, is that supposed to be an organ? It sounds like an organ/synth pad.

Haha okay let's see. Well I kind of wonder what more I can do to the reverse cymbal, because I completely removed it and the crash and replaced it with a cymbal roll. I'm not sure what you mean with it sounding unrealistic, but I can maybe add some more reverb to it.

As for the 2:45 section, I appreciate your input and I'll ask around a bit more for that. What I've heard so far is that it's a nice change of pace and that although it doesn't fit into the genre, it's still nice to hear. But I'll take it into consideration, along with the run of the main melody. I was really trying to keep this mix kind of short, but alas. If that sounds better, I'll see what I can do. :)

So thanks a lot! I'll work on it a bit more before I submit.

Edit: Oh yeah. And the thing at the beginning is just a mix of synth and strings. Nothing complicated, just thought it sounded right.

Haha okay let's see. Well I kind of wonder what more I can do to the reverse cymbal, because I completely removed it and the crash and replaced it with a cymbal roll. I'm not sure what you mean with it sounding unrealistic, but I can maybe add some more reverb to it.

As for the 2:45 section, I appreciate your input and I'll ask around a bit more for that. What I've heard so far is that it's a nice change of pace and that although it doesn't fit into the genre, it's still nice to hear. But I'll take it into consideration, along with the run of the main melody. I was really trying to keep this mix kind of short, but alas. If that sounds better, I'll see what I can do. :)

So thanks a lot! I'll work on it a bit more before I submit.

Edit: Oh yeah. And the thing at the beginning is just a mix of synth and strings. Nothing complicated, just thought it sounded right.

Haha okay. It should be fine, I mean the filesize limit has been upped to 8 MB, so I don't think giving an extra thirty seconds would be a problem.

If you do decide to do another run of the main melody, I suggest some filling in or some support action from other instruments; maybe have the guitar play a counter melody or just do the same thing as the piano for intensity.

Haha okay. It should be fine, I mean the filesize limit has been upped to 8 MB, so I don't think giving an extra thirty seconds would be a problem.

If you do decide to do another run of the main melody, I suggest some filling in or some support action from other instruments; maybe have the guitar play a counter melody or just do the same thing as the piano for intensity.

Hah actually I was more worried about people getting bored. Not as worried about the size limit. And I added another melody section just for you :-P

Yeah, it did kind of die out a bit after that, but I was trying to make the build to the final chorus more epic.

Anyway, hope you like this one. And hope I'm moving forward :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?mnwfhznj3jw

Actually, I'm not sure I like this one better. I might get rid of that middle section again. Tell me what you think. I might put the main verse back in the middle somewhere. I know you wanna hear it at the end but it just sounds like it adds a lull to the song.

Be sure to give other people enough time to listen, too. :P

Even though it would flatter me, listening to JUST ME isn't gonna get your mix posted. It's a variety of opinions that help.

But my next opinion:

Sounds good, but at the main melody (around 1:12) I really would enjoy this more if you used the actual notes from the game. It just doesn't have the same impact as the game version when the melody goes up higher in the notes.

Well I would if anybody else posted in this thread :P

but no worries, I have people in my college group giving me suggestions too.

And let's see. You mean move the whole thing up so it's in the same key? That's not too much trouble and doesn't change it all that much. I'll see how that sounds and post another (hopefully soon to last) WIP soon.

Well I would if anybody else posted in this thread :P

but no worries, I have people in my college group giving me suggestions too.

And let's see. You mean move the whole thing up so it's in the same key? That's not too much trouble and doesn't change it all that much. I'll see how that sounds and post another (hopefully soon to last) WIP soon.

No THAT'S NOT WHAT I MEANT AT ALL.

I meant use the notes from the game... you're not using the notes from the game. It's fine if you want to keep it your way, I'm just saying I would prefer you use the original notes because I think it would have more impact.

And a lot of people here are adults. Most adults have real life to deal with, so you're not gonna see every single OCRemixer posting on every single WIP board. Just give it some time...

Ehhhh okay. So I'm just not hitting the right notes. I thought it was correct, but I'll go check a MIDI or something. And I understand, that's why I'm passing it to people off the board as well. Thanks for the help.

Well you have the right notes...

but when you hit the THIRD NOTE the whole melody jumps up an octave.

cool, sorta trippy arrangement. doesn't stray too far from the source but there's some cool doodling on the piano and other instruments that give it some more life.

the main thing hurting this mix is your samples and production. production is weak and the song basically stays at the same energy level throughout. most of the 'real' instruments (especially the guitar and piano) sound obnoxiously fake and give the track a midi-ish quality that really hurts the soundscape you're going for here. theres some cool slicing going on in that drumloop but it's gets repetitive after the first couple minutes. you need to layer in some more varied percussion elements to contrast that a bit.

good ideas, but it needs quite a bit of polish

oh yeah also - 320kbps? wayyy too high man.. download took forever (i'm not on a great connection right now but still, there's no need to go above 192)

cool, sorta trippy arrangement. doesn't stray too far from the source but there's some cool doodling on the piano and other instruments that give it some more life.

the main thing hurting this mix is your samples and production. production is weak and the song basically stays at the same energy level throughout. most of the 'real' instruments (especially the guitar and piano) sound obnoxiously fake and give the track a midi-ish quality that really hurts the soundscape you're going for here. theres some cool slicing going on in that drumloop but it's gets repetitive after the first couple minutes. you need to layer in some more varied percussion elements to contrast that a bit.

good ideas, but it needs quite a bit of polish

oh yeah also - 320kbps? wayyy too high man.. download took forever (i'm not on a great connection right now but still, there's no need to go above 192)

Halc you listened to his first version. xD I can tell because his more recent version has 192 KBPS.

Skip around to the more recent posts, he has a new version.