Sonic 3 Final Boss WIP

Kruai

Well I would if anybody else posted in this thread :P

but no worries, I have people in my college group giving me suggestions too.

And let's see. You mean move the whole thing up so it's in the same key? That's not too much trouble and doesn't change it all that much. I'll see how that sounds and post another (hopefully soon to last) WIP soon.

As a person who is new himself and begging for feedback, I should also give input, but I kinda have a rock bias for this song. That said I'll try and give my opinion.

-The cymbal roll in the beginning is fine.

-I don't like the guitar either. It is too clean for me. Experiment with some distortion in there to give it a Les Paul Gibson type of sound. If you don't like it you can always go back to how it was.

-the part with the piano around the 1:30 mark, I noticed you got some type of stab there (assuming) brass. try doing them at either a higher velocity or octave (the same octave you have the horns at 1:39).

As a person who is new himself and begging for feedback, I should also give input, but I kinda have a rock bias for this song. That said I'll try and give my opinion.

-The cymbal roll in the beginning is fine.

-I don't like the guitar either. It is too clean for me. Experiment with some distortion in there to give it a Les Paul Gibson type of sound. If you don't like it you can always go back to how it was.

-the part with the piano around the 1:30 mark, I noticed you got some type of stab there (assuming) brass. try doing them at either a higher velocity or octave (the same octave you have the horns at 1:39).

Yeah, the cymbal is fine now. It was horrible before, but it's okay now.

I do say that the horns sound fake-ish, you might want better samples.

Bahaha well I am using DSK, but oddly enough, there's no brass. The sax sounds brassy, I guess. I'll mess with that sound a bit, plus I got some guitar effects I'm gonna layer on. But I have to present this to a class (don't worry, it's all engineers!) so it'll be a while before the next WIP.

Oh, and I'm sorry but that's really what the melody sounds like to me... does it really go down? I do actually hear the verse jump about an octave on the third note. I'll look it up though.

OK kind of a WIP but I'd really just like to know what you guys think of the new rock guitar sound. Is it okay sounding? I'd like to get rid of the echo, but I'm not quite sure what's causing it. I'll look into it though (unless it sounds good, but I think it sounds weird).

http://www.mediafire.com/?ytwwmxnyiyz

See the main problem here is you're using a rhythm guitar for a really fast arpeggiated single note melody. It's actually okay in the beginning, but when other stuff is playing it's just a plain annoying screeching noise in the background.

around when 1:12 hits, why don't you just make the electric guitar mimc the main piano in the main melody?

Try using a solo guitar instead; otherwise keep your old guitar sound and use this electric guitar sound for chords.

But yes take out the echo. :)

Well I got rid of the guitar where it seemed to be a bit much, and I'm still trying to pump the bass to a good level (but on my laptop it sounds much louder than on other sources). I also added a rate drop near the end to make the final buildup cooler. I added separate parts for the rhythm guitar to add "rhythm" instead of melody :P

http://www.mediafire.com/?miymkvluqw3

Getting better?

Well I got rid of the guitar where it seemed to be a bit much, and I'm still trying to pump the bass to a good level (but on my laptop it sounds much louder than on other sources). I also added a rate drop near the end to make the final buildup cooler. I added separate parts for the rhythm guitar to add "rhythm" instead of melody :P

Getting better?

Ho.

Ly.

Crap.

What kind of guitar samples are you USING?!

That sounds awesome! It sounds so real now. :)

Just for some variation:

at 4:24 make it an electric guitar instead of that piano.

HOWEVER:

You hear at :27 (and other parts) where it simply cuts off? You wanna leave it sustained or decaying for a bit...

Getting better?

The guitar sounds MUCH better in this version. The panning is a nice touch. I like the other techniques you added to this.

I agree with Neblix with the about the :27 related parts. Of the two, I think the decay would fit better IMO.

Well, I think I'm almost done here. I really like the progress I've made and I appreciate all the help you've given me.

I'm still wondering about the bass level, because my computer amplifies it. I can't sync to my zune yet, but it sounds a bit overpowered in this mix. Tell me what you think.

Here's the near-final WIP! :D

http://www.mediafire.com/?nywy5yyejwr

What kinda system you have, if you can't adjust the bass amplification?

Anyway, listening to the song second time around atm, the bass and the kick make a distinct "durrrhhhh" sound everytime they play, worse when they overlap. Compression could solve this though and it can be just my listening habits, but all bass in this has an annoying frequency that eats everything else away : P

I like the variation, if not for the drums. Not enough breaks in your breakbeat maybe : )

That's what I could scrape together, hope I'm being even mildly helpful.

Well, I think I'm almost done here. I really like the progress I've made and I appreciate all the help you've given me.

I'm still wondering about the bass level, because my computer amplifies it. I can't sync to my zune yet, but it sounds a bit overpowered in this mix. Tell me what you think.

Here's the near-final WIP! :D

http://www.mediafire.com/?nywy5yyejwr

Never say you're close to done, that will just give us more motivation to make it further from done.

I think the bass is fine now, but I'd turn it down a teeny bit. It sounds... over amplified. :P

What kinda system you have, if you can't adjust the bass amplification?

Anyway, listening to the song second time around atm, the bass and the kick make a distinct "durrrhhhh" sound everytime they play, worse when they overlap. Compression could solve this though and it can be just my listening habits, but all bass in this has an annoying frequency that eats everything else away : P

I like the variation, if not for the drums. Not enough breaks in your breakbeat maybe : )

That's what I could scrape together, hope I'm being even mildly helpful.

@Skyway: well it's a laptop, and I had an EQ application running beforehand (Realtek) and then it proceeded to run itself every time I log on, even after I 'uninstalled' it. But I digress, eventually I'll get up and clean it out :\

Anywho, ok I'll run it through a compressor next time. Plus I guess the bass might be overpowering stuff so I'll back it off a bit. And I'm glad it's not as monotonous as before! I'll work on the drums next and finish up soon.

@Neblix oh and about that guitar thing, it's actually not samples. I tweaked a guitar synth and layered a super-secret combination of amps on top :D

Woo! Tanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Well I've lost the project file for now... I'm going to try to either get my old file back or re-create it from the last backup I made. It's gonna take a while! But I'm gonna stick with what I have for now until I'm in a position to attempt improvement.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I loved this song!!! :(

How did you LOSE it?!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I loved this song!!! :(

How did you LOSE it?!

Well Reaper kept crashing so I un-installed to do a clean install... and for some reason it took the project files with it. But never fear! I have an old backup! Just give me a while to get it back to about where it was before. :)

• 1 month later...
All righty. I've already submitted once to OCRemix, but I think I've remade a file that's pretty darn close to what I had before. Changes include some stereo effects added to some instruments. I'll keep working on when this submission doesn't make it.

You plan to keep me waiting for 4-6 months? :tomatoface:

Judge's decisions are going a lot faster... but they're not going THAT fast.

Can we at least hear what you have so far?

You plan to keep me waiting for 4-6 months? :tomatoface:

Judge's decisions are going a lot faster... but they're not going THAT fast.

Can we at least hear what you have so far?

Well, I wasn't going to because it's basically just a re-creation of what I had before with a few touch-ups... but if you really want to hear it I can post it :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?lajnntytyyj

A bit too much bass now imo... and a few other things.

• 1 month later...