OCR01914 - Deus "Siren Synapse"

djpretzel

and the synth is unmistakably Alex's work.

fixed that for ya ;)

Thanks for the comments everyone!

This mix does indeed feature the conversation music, but *technically* it's still Synapse/Hong Kong Streets because in the game rip .UMX, it's all one file, so I figured it'd be cool to throw some of that in there.

Also, yeah, I thought "Siren Synapse" was especially clever myself since Alex has been known as Siren, plus, a synapse is "the point of connection usually between two nerve cells". So kind of a metaphor for the collab, I suppose. :)

Anyway, thanks again for listening. I strongly strongly encourage everyone to be sure to read Alex's interview (if you haven't already) because it was not only a lot of fun to pick his brain, but he has some really cool/interesting opinions/experiences to share on a lot of things! Also be sure to check out his blog once in a while. And if you like his music from Deus Ex, Unreal, Unreal Torney, etc, then DEFINITELY spend a few bucks and pick up his album - Era's End. It's fantastic!

Aw, ya guys beat me to Deus Ex! It's all good though, I have a much different track in mind to tackle when the time comes.

While it's already been mentioned, gotta say I love the title. I was following Siren back when tracking was in its days of compos, the MC5 and all that jazz. Still listen to Alex's IT files now and then; still love "Carpe Diem" after all these years.

But I digress. It's a great mix, and I always love seeing thus far unremixed games get lovin'. The collab concept is great, although I can say from experience that most game composers are pretty cool and down to Earth if ya can get ahold of them, so I'm not terribly surprised.

Great stuff guys, and I'll give the interview a good read just as soon as I have a chance. :)

Electric synths faithfully border the sound field while the bells and guzheng work out some call-and-answer chemistry between them. The four down-the-scale notes at 1:18 sound briefly lullaby-ish in their application, partly due to the breakdown nature of the section. 2:06 is where the fun really begins - electronica beeps hip-hopping alongside the bells and strings in a vibe both fresh and far-reaching. 2:23 produces gooey synthwork that visits every locale in every direction, with a couple of notes that sound higher than the rest (2:36, 2:53) thrown in for good mood-tugging measure. Between the two decisively gated moments, the sweeping lead bends and shoots rapid shots (most noticeably at 3:08-3:11), then tosses the reins to the guzheng, both making sure they and their followers rock. Piano bass notes and bells in the end turn the mood around so suddenly I'm left with a feeling of "wait, don't leave! I want more!"

In the future, all urban neighborhoods will sound like this. I hope.

Yo Jimmy! What an opportunity man! Excellent crisp song, like fresh veggies snappin with that nice mist of water in your face. Way to go bro.

And to the master himself, Mr. Brandon, I'll admit I hadn't heard the OST before, but you better believe I'll be checking it out now. Thanks for officially joining the community and making the art of video game music even more recognizable!

I've been waiting/hoping for someone to do a Deus Ex remix on OCR for years, but I never imagined Alex himself would be a part of it! BGC too, who I remember from his great contributions to the Lifestream album (I so very nearly made an OVA of "adrenalyn kick" over Death Note clips, which if you listen to the quote in the song, is a perfect match). Anyway, I really love this. 3:16 is wonderful. It does what a remix should do - simultaneously take you back to the source material, and beyond it. I will be listening to this one a lot. The only bit I don't like is the use of the Deus Ex theme towards the beginning, it clutters up the song to my mind. But I'm probably wrong!

And BGC, Alex, if you collaborate again, please please consider

. I would die.

I really dig this mix, quite awesome work guys! I've never heard the source tune or even played the game so I am coming in to this mix cold. I like mixes that can stand on their own I think that is really telling of how far the community has come!

Back when this all was first starting I am willing to admit I enjoyed some songs only for the nostalgia factor, but mixes like these, which hold their own apart from the game are really awesome and much more frequent these days.

Great job!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Whooo, the remastered version is killer :-D I thought that aspect of the song already sounded great from the start, but every element of the song feels clear, defined, and full. The whole soundscape is full of action so I like to listen to this one multiple times in a row so I can pick out the individual instruments and appreciate the work that went into them.

This is a really stellar collab - the fusion of organic and synthetic instruments was completely seamless and ultimately places this track squarely in the middle of my preferred genre of music. Killer work! :-D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Really excellent panning synths and an overall cool feel with a slick vibe. There are some really great hooks in here, but I almost felt like they were pushed aside in favor of style- the best melodic part was at the very very end for the last 20 seconds, and personally, I'd have loved to hear it blasted out as an anthem. Of course, that's just how I roll, and maybe if I ever find time to remix this track myself, that's exactly what I can do. :-)

Still really good stuff, densely layered and very interesting stuff. Also cool that it was a collab between two very talented guys. :-)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01914 - Deus "Siren Synapse"