OverLooked ReMiX's fate

Xenon Odyssey

So, ladies and gents, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this is an issue that needs to be addressed.

As I found out from Richter a week or so ago, OverLooked ReMiX has become too large for him to host any longer. He's pretty much paying out of his own pocket too, as we aren't a large enough site to garner a consistent traffic flow, and I'm pretty sure the revenue off of ads is miniscule at best.

Thus, I don't know how much longer we'll be around. The only option Richter and I could think of is to release songs on YouTube, and then host a torrent of all of the songs for people who want individual copies of them. Richter did also move the songs to another hosting, but that's only saved them; we can't post new remixes, and we have at least one new site project to release that can't be hosted on the server. This is why we haven't had a new remix in about a month.

If anyone would like to lend a hand with anything (even if it comes to torrenting, just having some seeds), it would be greatly appreciated. Obviously I'm not looking for someone to just take and host the site, but even some alternative options than what Richter and myself have thought of would help us. Although if you would consider hosting, contact Richter at richtaur at gmail dot com, and/or myself at xenonodyssey at hotmail dot com.

Thanks for giving this a read.

Just for clarification: it's become too large to host, but it's not getting consistent traffic... this seems contradictory. By "too large," are you talking the size of the files themselves, bandwidth, or server CPU/memory? Of those three, only the third is usually problematic to shared hosts. DreamHost and others offer tons of space & tons of bandwidth... would they be an option?

How much is he paying for the hosting? If it's more than $5.95/mo. then he should check out Hostmonster.com. It's what I use, it's cheap, it has unlimited server space and bandwidth, and was really the only host that did this at the time I registered. It seems to me that many hosts are gearing towards this anyway, so I'd recommend he just looks for a different host.

If he doesn't want to change hosts I might be able to help with hosting files. I can't do it for free but I wont gouge his wallet.

How much is he paying for the hosting? If it's more than $5.95/mo. then he should check out Hostmonster.com. It's what I use, it's cheap, it has unlimited server space and bandwidth, and was really the only host that did this at the time I registered. It seems to me that many hosts are gearing towards this anyway, so I'd recommend he just looks for a different host.

If he doesn't want to change hosts I might be able to help with hosting files. I can't do it for free but I wont gouge his wallet.

You really need to read the fine print for those unlimited deals. Some of them throw in nasty terms, like requiring that 50% or more of your bandwidth has to be from pages (rather than binary files).

You really need to read the fine print for those unlimited deals. Some of them throw in nasty terms, like requiring that 50% or more of your bandwidth has to be from pages (rather than binary files).

"UNLIMITED" USAGE POLICIES AND DEFINITIONS

1. What "Unlimited" means. HostMonster.Com does not set an arbitrary limit or cap on the amount of resources a single Subscriber can use. In good faith and subject to these Terms, HostMonster.Com makes every commercially reasonable effort to provide its Subscribers with all the storage and bandwidth resources needed to power their web sites successfully, as long as the Subscriber's use of the service complies with these Terms. By not setting limits on key resources, we are able to provide simple, consistent pricing to our Subscribers as they grow their websites. As a result, a typical website may experience periods of great popularity and resulting increased storage without experiencing any associated increase in hosting charges.
  2. What "Unlimited" DOES NOT mean. HostMonster.Com employs complex mechanisms to protect its Subscribers and systems from abuse. HostMonster.Com's offering of "unlimited" services is not intended to allow the actions of a single or few Subscribers to unfairly or adversely impact the experience of other Subscribers.
    HostMonster.Com's service is a shared hosting service, which means that multiple Subscriber web sites are hosted from the same server and share server resources. HostMonster.Com's service is designed to meet the typical needs of small business and home business website Subscribers in the United States. It is NOT intended to support the sustained demand of large enterprises, internationally based businesses, or non-typical applications better suited to a dedicated server.
    HostMonster.Com will make every commercially reasonable effort to provide additional resources to Subscribers who are using their website(s) consistent with these Terms, including moving Subscribers to newer and bigger shared servers as necessary. However, in order to ensure a consistent and quality experience for all Subscribers, HostMonster.Com does place automated safeguards to protect against any one site growing too quickly and adversely impacting the system until HostMonster.Com can evaluate said sites resource needs.
  3. Unlimited Hosting Space. HostMonster.Com does not set arbitrary limits on the amount of disk space a Subscriber can use for the Subscriber's website, nor does HostMonster.Com charge additional fees based on an increased amount of storage used, provided the Subscriber's use of storage complies with these Terms. Please note, however, that the HostMonster.Com service is designed to host websites . HostMonster.Com does NOT provide unlimited space for online storage, backups, or archiving of electronic files, documents, log files, etc., and any such prohibited use of the Services will result in the termination of Subscriber's account, with or without notice.
  4. Unlimited File Transfer. HostMonster.Com does not set arbitrary limits on the amount of visitor traffic a web site can receive or on the amount of content a Subscriber can upload to his/her/its website in a given month, nor does HostMonster.Com charge additional fees based on increased use of bandwidth, as long as the Subscriber's use of the Services complies with these Terms. In most cases, a Subscriber's web site will be able to support as much traffic as the Subscriber can legitimately acquire. However, HostMonster.Com reserves the right to limit processor time, bandwidth, or processes in cases where it is necessary to prevent negatively impacting other Subscribers.

Not sure what's so wrong about this...

I've been using this host for a few years now and not ONCE have I ever run into a problem such described. The brunt of my bandwidth is mp3 files while page visits are not nearly as much. I've read over the terms and I have not seen one suspicious thing they've tried to sneak in. The only thing they demand is no personal data storage, and no illegal activities, which I would expect most hosts to ask for.

Well, according to Richter (who is too much of a loser to come and post here), herograw is now hosting our songz, so I think we're in good shape. He's still ironing everything out, though, so it may be a little bit before we can post new songs. Thank you to everyone who offered servers/suggestions!

Also I guess we're still moving stuff cuz OLR isn't loading for me and according to this handy linkage it appears I'm not the only one.

My song sucked too much to make it onto OLR D:

wat