Ghost of a Rose (Secret of Mana)

Mootz

Just whipped this up over the course of two days (but believe me, it wasn't an easy 2 days). Some parts I like a lot, but I feel like adding some more original material. Just drop me a line; I'd love to get some feedback so that I can finish this. One of the greatest songs I've ever heard in a video game (the original, obviously). Thanks in advance!

The title is a work in progress as well, but I think that it fits.

stats.png

Here is the source:

Reminds me a lot of Deus Ex, actually (and not just cause of the new DE remix).

Drumming is very nice, but there's a somewhat higher pitch percussion sample I can't really distinguish that hits two times each measure that seems to exude a whining noise that seems familiar from Sonic levels. It doesn't really fit with the rest of your beat.

The melody joining the drums is very good, and definitely takes the source in a different direction. The source is a soulful flute/acoustic type number, this is a much colder techno number. Not a criticism here, very interesting. The piano joining halfway through could use a little more complexity during the flute melody.

Glad you filled the soundscape after the first ten seconds. I was a afraid the drums would be left on their own more often.

I love the harmony synth effect that comes as you end it, and obviously hope when you expand the song you play with it, maybe take it to a different key or something.

Thank you for the excellent feedback! I definitely thought of increasing the complexity of the piano during the flute section, but was afraid that it would mud-up the mix. Changing keys is an interesting idea, and I'm glad you brought that up. I tried to make this sound as different as possible from the original while keeping the same feel, and I'm glad that shows. I really appreciate your comments.

Thank you for the excellent feedback! I definitely thought of increasing the complexity of the piano during the flute section, but was afraid that it would mud-up the mix. Changing keys is an interesting idea, and I'm glad you brought that up. I tried to make this sound as different as possible from the original while keeping the same feel, and I'm glad that shows. I really appreciate your comments.

Not a prob.

-Good piano reverb. Background synth comes in as piano dies down really well.

-Nice trell on the flute.

-I can't find any faults with techno except for that one sound that hits twice, waits, hits twice, waits, then occasionally triple taps. It's got a pretty high attack and medium delay, higher pitched than the rest of the instruments, and it sounds like it's trying to provide a percussive element to the beat. It just doesn't sound right to me. Rather than an shrill beat I'd rather hear a low-freq more buzzy bass line, more in line with the cool chill nature of the song.

I love this source tune

Man this is spazzy lol

I think you kind of take away from the song without the original chord progression and (the lower note on the piano)... Keeping it all in that chord kind of makes it a little blah to me.

The flute is really cool though.

That's fair. Not everybody likes spastic, IDM style drum beats. I changed the progression to make it have a darker feel, but I can understand if this makes it less enjoyable, ESPECIALLY if you are a big fan of the source tune. Thanks for your comments :)