*NO* Moon Patrol 'Alone on the Darkside'

djpretzel

Greetings.

Been a little while since my last submission, and having finished this up a month ago roughly, I thought I'd send it in.

This is a remix of the main theme in the game Moon Patrol. Called "Alone On the Darkside", my remix takes a bit of a blues/swing approach to the beat and rhythm, and it uses harmonies that, while not "spooky" are bit more eerie in their sound. It's also got a bit of a retro sound in the synths and such as well. I wrote a lot of new material for this remix as the original song had what... two "instruments" through the entire thing?

Anyway, you'll be pleased to know that the "muffled", somewhat "distant" sound that's been accompanying my remixes is greatly reduced, and the "quietness" has also been addressed. The samples are basically the same, but the mixing quality is improved and it's louder. Let's hear it for tinkering and discovery eh? ;)

Anyway, here's the link to the remix...

... and here's the needed info (even though the ID3 tags have been filled out)...

Remixer- aka The Coop

Copyright- Williams

System- Arcade

Year- 1982

Original Composer- unknown

Hope you enjoy the remix and have a good one.

The drums are very retro. Too retro, i'd say. There's nothing really making them interesting. There's a difference between a "retro" sound and an "old" sound. Unfortunatly this tune falls victim to the latter. The whole deal sounds like it was composed on a commodore 64. True the commodore 64's chip was capable of some dope soundage, this mix doesn't acheive said dopage.

I'd like to hear some more acoustic samples if i'm listening to blues tunes. This is far too synthetic to get my groove shakin'. The arrangement doesn't really do much to expand upon the original's progressions.

NO

-D

okay....

it's the coop. he hasnt upgraded his samples. strike 1.

the bass has reverb, and it sounds incredibly muddy, especially in the beginning.

I enjoy the arrangement, but we're getting to a point where we need a balance of both arrangement and soundquality.

there's no excuse for not having better samples. there are plenty of options. so this gets a

NO

I love coop's mixes, but I have to agree with some of the other judges. I think this is a step down in some aspects from what we've come to expect from you. When the instruments are more isolated it does expose the weakness of the sound quality, especially since you're going for a less synth sound in this one. I think the next step for you is to look into free soundfonts to supply you with better acoustic sounds to compliment your dreamstation. Better reverb, effects, eq and possibly compression could help this kind of mix.

Good arrangement and overall nice work. But the panel expects a higher standard in the production department from you, given your experience and talents.

Please refer to this and the last judgement of your mix for more clarification.

Sorry to say NO