OCR00407 - Jurassic Park (GEN) "Raptor Waltz"

Ginnsu

Jurassic Park 'Raptor Waltz'

There are parts of this song that make me wonder if Trace got a hold of a time machine to grab some Dinosaur sound samples. Get ready for your own personal ride through the jungles of Jurassic Park when you listen to this one. I only have one complaint with this one. There is a lead instrument that starts about 1:25 that I think we could have really done with out. The rest of the song makes me not want to close my eyes in fear of what I might dream up. I liked this one much more then the 3rd Jurassic Park movie. I think we could have lived without that as well.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Very scary stuff, like a raptor would jump up behind and take my wallet. Sounds halloween inspired to me, but this was made in august, but this is sure spooky, and those noises just creeps me out. Once again an evidence that dinosaurs shouldn´t be toyed.

I don´t like that synth that begins at 1:25, but the rest of the music quality sounds good to me.

• 1 year later...

Yeah, I only realized what we had here once Koelsch1's own Jurassic Park from the Genesis was posted and decided to check this out once again. This also arranged my favorite track from that game once I explored the soundtrack.

Hearing a waltz in a decidedly unorthodox style was cool. Would have loved to have had an original melody built on top of the arranged source tune so that the piece could have more direction, but what's in place was really cool. Definitely doesn't get enough recognition. Solid work, Graham!

• 4 months later...

A little too repetitive in the chord progression for my tastes, this could really use a B section. There are a decent amount of themes keeping this fresh, but a change-up section would be very welcome. Sound effects are decent, they don't bother me as much as most tacked-on effects do, and are tasteful.

The atmosphere is nice and sufficiently tense, though this doesn't feel like a waltz to me, at least not until the beat comes in. Then i'm feeling it.

Just needs a changeup section IMO.

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

DUnno when I realized that 3/4 has a very hypnotic feel to it. I know it was a Kraid remix that led me to that discovery. Jurrassic Park, conceptually, has some of the same qualities as Metroid - you're out there with creatures you're not used to seeing. Scary.

I wasn't feeling the sfx, but the music here is wonderfully creepy. It's also interesting to hear how people write drums for time sigs that aren't 4/4. it gets repetitive, but it just adds to the hypnotic feel of the track. As if the pitch-modulated vox wasn't enough.

/shiver. Eerie piece that's really reminiscent of a classic slasher movie, I feel like I'm just being hunted and waiting for something to jump out and attack me. The samples are great bits of the song, and the winding melody during the middle-end of the song is very unsettling.

The waltz style or 3/4 (or 6/8?) timing was a good way to get through the eeriness of the track. ...come to think of it, all 3 of Trace's remixes have an eerie quality to them. Though that's not a bad thing by any means.

I'm generally hesitant about sound effects. I think in most cases they detract rather than add (though there are notable exceptions). The extra dinosaur SFX are okay, but it seems like the only thing the remix really has going for it, and it's a pretty weak thing to stand on. KF

Very dark and serious, but it's not as suspenseful or rapid as one would think. I guess this is more being hunted by raptors than being chased by raptors. Still, it's a very moody atmospheric mix and is very good in that respect.

I don't really like raptor sound samples; I think they're a little too distracting from the mix. Ultimately, this mix is an incredibly good Halloween anthem.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

The story sequence music from Jurassic Park. Again, I take intrique to see what people do with short loops (this one being 4 measures long), so here we go, haha.

The original was indeed used note-for-note as accompaniment placement to match with the slow-attacking strings, appropriate sound effects, three-step jazz-drum work and some very eerie rhythm/gliding synth work. These days it may be seen as too safe as a way to handle the source, but as a way to build atmosphere could almost make this feel somewhat appropriate for Halloween. :wink:

Even for its time the levels were decent, though I may have had suggested the sound effects to be brought down in the mix. Regardless, it has that eerie quality that in spite of modern-day shortcomings had held up reasonably well over time. I dig this :)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00407 - Jurassic Park (GEN) "Raptor Waltz"
  • 9 months later...