OCR01916 - Mega Man X "Braincooler"

djpretzel

• 1 month later...

Here's one I forgot to comment on. Always liked the WIP, and the finalized version is really something special. I think it's been said but if you have any love for the Chill Penguin track, you can't go wrong with this one.

It's that "chill eletronica" (ohohoho, chill in a chill penguin track, ohohoho) that Rozovian has worked their magic with in other tracks like "Eat Your Own Dust", and it's a style I know I'll keep coming back to.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I remember digging it up off the WIP forums and liking it then... it's just as good now :-)

I always love how Rozo picks such cohesive sets of synths and sounds for each of his remixes, it makes everything silky smooth and nothing ever sticks out like a sore thumb. It's easy to get lost in his remixes because of this quality.

This is a nice benchmark for him in terms of production and sound design, but after hearing what he's done in tracks like "Eye of the Storm," I can see how much he's improved in a short time. Nice work all around, Rozo! :-D

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

1:23 feels like a decisive turning point. Why? It follows an initial run through part of the source not unlike a scout on reconnaissance, who then beckons the rest of an army onward toward some great purpose, like attacking a fort or storming a castle. The bass, percussion, and 5-notes-then-4 pattern are all saying "we're heading out. The mix is on the march."

The bulk of the breakdown vividly encapsulates a cavern setting (as djp pointed out), particularly 2:12+ with its icicle-soft synthwork and 2:55 with its "high up with the stalactites" edge of loneliness.

3:40+ is another momentous section of Braincooler, what with its key change and 3:48's melodic creativity. To me, this is where the mix is really starting to spread its wings and fly to more promising places as long as it keeps evolving. It sure has the momentum to do so.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01916 - Mega Man X "Braincooler"