Need help finding Silent Hill synth/ambient pads

BGC are you suggesting this man use presets? :/

It's not like we're still in 1983 where each synth has 32 presets and by the time Stock, Aitken and Waterman were done with it everyone knew them by heart and could puke 'm because they heard 'm so many times.

A synthesizer's range of sounds is an ocean; presets are points to jump off from so you can get where you need to be faster. There's no difference between this bunch of settings or the next, except for the fact that one of 'm was included from the factory.

As for those $15 for AAS Ultra-Analog: spend 'm. You'll be glad you did.

Which begs the next question: Exactly how much then are you paying for a commercial program without the presets? How much do the presets figure in, and why would you not use them since you're paying for it?

Thats kinda my attitude on it. I paid for these presets, they were designed to be used, I'm going to use them.

Alright, I think we've about met as close to the middle as we're going to. Let's call this a wrap, shall we?

Also for the record, although I can sound heated, I suppose I just like to point out my feelings emphatically at times. No insult was intended from my part.

Anyway, I'm going to leave this open in case the OP has any more questions, but let's leave the debate where it lies. If anyone wants to continue, that's fine, but let's make a separate thread for it. Everybody cool with that?

umm...wow. I left the thread thinking that it was resolved and came back today curious if anyone might have added something. I didn't mean to create such a heated debate. As I said before I'm new to the idea of electronic music or even creating music with DAW. After my previous project I was under the impression that free was not as good as payed but I was also working with orchestral instrument samples (Violins, Horns, etc.). I didn't realize that synths were a different story. Anyways I ended up getting Absynth and I don't know what the hell I'm doing with it other than click to load sound. I'm not saying it's a bad purchase, I just need to get my learn on and figure shit out. I'll search around on the forum for any threads about processing sounds and see if the internets has any tutorials or anything useful. If I don't find anything I'll post a new thread as I think this one is done and the topic has now changed. If anyone would like to PM me about how to go about processing sound, please do as I am more than willing to learn about it and any helpful info is appreciated. I'll try to PM CotMM about the issue as well.

Thanks everyone!

Well, you did. So you can just leave. We don't need troublemakers like you tearing apart our community.

:tomatoface:

Haha, no but seriously, I think regardless of which side anyone's on in the debate, I think Most will agree that Absynth is a pretty good plugin to have. Now, did you buy the full Absynth 4/5? or did you get one of the soundpacks?

Also, since you're new to this, I think just playing around with different knobs/buttons in the presets will be a fun thing for you. Just make mental notes of which knobs affect the sound in what ways, and voila, you're learning to use a synth :-)

bgc's comment about making mental notes is exactly how I learned synthesis. I'd add my recommendation to start with something relatively simple like Synth1 to mess with; Absynth has its GUI spread out over several separate screens and doing something in one screen may affect another.

Then again, for this material synthesis is only partially helping. Absynth is a good example; there are several complex, long-drawn out evolving sounds in there which you get by using complex LFO shapes for modulation.

Recording your own material is a good suggestion too. I've created oriental-sounding chromatic percussion by sampling a glass and a cardboard tube, then using microtonal scales (sadly enough I no longer have the result).

Look at the third video here: "Psychoacoustic sampling". Ignore the technobabble; it's just mostly that. What you can see is that they draw from a variety of sources, and by souping it up using effects, you can get something really neat out of it.

If anyone would like to PM me about how to go about processing sound, please do as I am more than willing to learn about it and any helpful info is appreciated. I'll try to PM CotMM about the issue as well.

That's not so good - because it defeats the purpose of a forum. Plus, people with similar questions won't see your solutions that way, if you keep everything in a conversation via PMs. Just ask here - you've already got a thread for it, right?

Now, did you buy the full Absynth 4/5? or did you get one of the soundpacks?

It's Absynth 5 full version

Also, since you're new to this, I think just playing around with different knobs/buttons in the presets will be a fun thing for you. Just make mental notes of which knobs affect the sound in what ways, and voila, you're learning to use a synth :-)

Yeah I've been doing that and usually that's how I figure things out however it only wokrs for me that way when I have some prior knowledge or can make sense of what I'm doing. For instance I have no idea what an LFO is or what it does, that's how green I am. I think some Synth 101 is required first.

That's not so good - because it defeats the purpose of a forum. Plus, people with similar questions won't see your solutions that way, if you keep everything in a conversation via PMs. Just ask here - you've already got a thread for it, right?

I agree that posting questions helps the community out a lot more as I've found a lot of answers through other people's posts. I was trying to avoid any more arguments over which is the proper way to go about things as both sides hold valid points.

Also I think that I my topic may have been a bit misleading. I was trying to put a name on the sound that I was hearing but the only example I could think of is Silent Hill. I am looking for something like a background synth sound that isn't distorted to the point of unpleasantness or static. I want something that's... deep, I guess you could say, when you listen to it and sits in the background like a bed. In the examples I picked they all had the same sort synth to it. My plans are going to be to have a jazz, funk, hip-hop fusion rhythm section with some synth in the background, like a bed, and then I'll blow over the top of it. I got the inspiration from this album. I think as I get more involved with synths then I'll start incorporating more of it into the music, but right now I'm trying to keep it simple.