Graphics card died..?

Schwaltzvald

So yeah recently an associate of mine just built himself a new pc. It ran fine for a couple of weeks. Then one day when he had to restart it after the usual windows update, for some reason, while the PC would boot normally, the screen would stay black, as if the monitor isn't recieving a signal.

At first I was thinking it had to do with his old tube monitor so I brought my flat screen to check it out. switched it and the same results, black screen.

I've taken the side cover off to see if either the Mobo or vid card weren't running as usual. Vid card was recieving power as well as mobo, checked connections to the card as I recall he had accidentally tried powering it up forgetting a power connection to the card, after that issue was resolved it ran fine till now.

I'm stumped so I'm guessing it might be the vid card because the PC itself still seemingly boots as normal, just not showing anything except a black screen.

Unfortunately the mobo does not have intergrated graphics so I can't seriously check to see if its actually the mobo...

Any help is appreciated!

You might try popping the card out and doing a visual inspection.

I just had two video cards die within a three week period in different computers at work, both of them had exploded capacitors.

Okay so hey turns out something did blow out as I noticed a small little crater where a module would be. Amazing what different sounds would generate from it.

Replaced the card with a new one and had sent the dead one to the manufacturer as it had been a couple of weeks before it bit the dust.

Works just like new, considering it is new it better stay that way...