Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - 'Sword of Sand'

Lemonectric

Sword of Sand (8-5-14)

Originally a People's Remix Compo bonus entry from 2009. Planning to submit a revised version to the site to offset the fact that I just contributed a Link's Awakening arrangement.

Includes:

Phantom Hourglass: Ocean King's theme, Oshus' theme

Wind Waker: Great Sea

I'd post links to YouTube videos, but I keep getting an internal server error when I add them to the post. Look for them yourself if you care.

Edited by Hylian Lemon

I love this. For sure, my favourite parts are fading into and out of the great sea melody. The entire song has this new-age seafaring sensory to it, like if vacationing in the Canadian Marinetimes actually wasn't a waste of time and money.

If I could offer anything to the song's betterment, the synth-cords at the beginning seem a bit shrill; they made my blood tingle the first time I heard them. While it's good to evoke reaction, it won't befit the rest of the song.

• 4 years later...
Who does this guy think he is, updating a track from 2009

Awesome. I remember the round. :>

Sword of Sand

I'm gonna submit it. Criticize me.

Pretty good I'd say! If I can I'll try to give a closer listen soon, I need to compare with some chip-heavy stuff if there's anything to point out. I thought there was enough variety of sounds and depth in the instrumentation and mixing, though it was still decidedly chiptuney. Some nice stereo detail and processing on the leads.

Ooh, phaser harp. Dunno if that's even been done before. At 0:20, it's a small thing, but maybe you could widen the soundscape a little bit more. At 0:31, it's about good on the stereo field IMO.

To me, the lead at 1:02 is a little too upfront; maybe try EQing down the low-mids a bit. Nice and nuanced tones overall. Perhaps at 1:53, you could try delaying the vibrato until a little bit later in the note sustain, for some variation in the vibrato predictability, but that's not a big deal.

Nice change-up at 2:14. The key change works. Also my opinion, but at 2:34, considering the harp being there, maybe that arp could be pushed a little further back for some dynamic contrast (with reverb dry mix, or EQ). Maybe you could even automate the dry mix up from a low value to make it seem like it's moving towards you from far away?

Otherwise, this is a great update. :) Finish it up!

Okay, I pretty much agree what timaeus222 said. A tiny bit more TLC here and there. Generally, I felt that some of the leads were blaring just a little too hot, but I wanted to check with some comparison. Haven't done that, but now that timaeus brought it up too I thought I'd second it.

I liked the harp sound too! :nicework:

Good development and progression throughout the piece as always (I complimented this way back then already). I like that I never feel that your pieces have a blocky AABA, ABCD or whatever structure, but that they always flow like narratives. Keep up the good!

At 0:20, it's a small thing, but maybe you could widen the soundscape a little bit more. At 0:31, it's about good on the stereo field IMO.

Ahh! As I was exporting it, I remembered that I'd meant to go through and widen the square arps a little. Then I forgot to go back.

Also my opinion, but at 2:34, considering the harp being there, maybe that arp could be pushed a little further back for some dynamic contrast (with reverb dry mix, or EQ). Maybe you could even automate the dry mix up from a low value to make it seem like it's moving towards you from far away?

I'm not sure what you mean here. Pushing the staccato pulse back? Is that considered an arp?

I do find the balance better now! Nice work!

One thing that I notice is that some of the long sustained leads in the middle (2:04-2:30) have no rests to them, having some (and thus letting the backing "surface" a bit in those sections) might give it some more sense of room so to speak, and more rhythmic interest, especially the first lead.

At 1:48 there's a harp note that sounds off-harmony to me. Man, does that bug me now that I noticed it.

I do find the balance better now! Nice work!

One thing that I notice is that some of the long sustained leads in the middle (2:04-2:30) have no rests to them, having some (and thus letting the backing "surface" a bit in those sections) might give it some more sense of room so to speak, and more rhythmic interest, especially the first lead.

At 1:48 there's a harp note that sounds off-harmony to me. Man, does that bug me now that I noticed it.

I hear what you mean at 2:04 - 2:30, but personally I liked the lack of rests at 2:14 - 2:30 because it felt like a buildup. In my opinion, I would consider making the lead sound at 2:04 - 2:14 more lively with perhaps a few portamentos, a more delayed vibrato (slower attack), or even small arpeggiated fills/scales. Maybe at 2:04 - 2:30, it *might* be that the leads are slightly too loud. Perhaps try lowering their volume or velocity so that the background harp and synth arp (lol, harp arp), respectively, can be heard.

I hear the note at about 1:47.5-ish, and though it's there, I'm not quite as bothered by it. Maybe because it's kind of quiet. The interval sounds like a clashing 2nd, I think.

Doesn't really bug me, but changing it doesn't bug me either. Well...changing the harp note would bug me, but changing the pulse note doesn't.

Update

Also reduced the volume on the leads from 2:04-2:30 and broke up some of the long sustained notes.