*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'Iced Out Nine Twenty Two'

djpretzel

To djpreztel:

Here is my lastest submission, thank you for listening.

Artist: DCT

Title: Iced Out Nine Twenty Two

Game: Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Song: Ice Cap Zone

URL:

Well I, like many other remixers, like the Ice Cap Zone theme, and decided to put my own spin on it. I listened to almost nothing but Ice Cap remixes while I worked on this, and it shows in the fact that I incorporated elements from McVaffe's "Ice Capped" and DarkeSword's "Hot Ice." I even added a part of DarkeSword's original piece entitled "The Moonlight Ballroom," cuz that song was stuck in my head and I didn't think he would mind (he didn't). Thanks again for listening, and considering this ReMix for your site.

-DCT

Haha, thanks for the musical shout out man.

As for the mix, it's pretty nice, but I've always felt that for the length you've made this, it's a bit repetitive to stand on its own. It's a nice groove, but there are a lot of dead spaces in here that could really be filled out by lyrics. I know for a fact that you've got lyrics hookups, so make use of them. This could really shine if you you just had some rapping over it.

As it stands, NO, but give the lyrics idea a shot and resubmit because the airiness of the pads and the general groove is something I dig. Peace bro.

it's on the ftp space, ya know. DCTsomthing.mp3

isn't this the guy who just got stabbed or something? i can't bear to make his week worse by giving him a no... but... ds is right about the sparseness of this mix giving it a pretty repetitive feel. it doesn't help that this mix is not short and this tune has been remixed a bajillion times.

also, for this style, the bass is weak. it should be tighter.

i do like the oldskool shouts though, analoq is pro-oldskool.

no

Yes, dct is the one hospitalized.

I want to note that this vote has nothing to do with his recent hard times, since I have heard this months ago and have been enjoying this mix for some months now. This mix feels like a blending of dct's hip hop style with a bit of new age and some minimalism for good measure. I think the result is very pleasing. This reminds me of some of the streets of rage pieces.

Good instrument selection.

I also remember telling dct before that I wouldn't really personally care for lyrics over this mix. I don't really see how it could bring anything to the table given the kind of mix this is.

Production, mixing/mastering quality is so so, and that's my biggest knock on this mix. Great chill out tune though and is technically sound enough to get a YES.

Sorry bout the news, man. I feel just as bad as the next guy doin this, but I can't pass this song. It's got a real sparse nature; the backing pads and supporting synths could use some EQ/Volume tweaks. The drum loop just really doesnt sound good. That panning shakerish thing is killin me. Other than that, there's only a kick and snare sample goin, and the snare sounds way to low fi and indirect for its own good. Get a tighter snare and eq some fatness in on it (~250Hz, roughly 3-6 db boost) I think the kick is used a bit too extensively, as well. Try spacing out the kicks a bit more, and use fast patterns only to transition.

The mix also doesn't do much arrangement-wise, it's pretty much reiterating the original in similar timbres. The breakdowns consist of the support instrumentation playing their standard groove, which makes the breaks feel uninteresting. More stuff in there, embellishment-wise and possibly harmonic-wise might juice it up a bit.

Sorry bout your tough times man, hope you feel better soon. Definately give this one some more gusto and send it on back.

NO

-D