OCR01920 - Xenogears "Omen (R3 Mix)"

djpretzel

I'm loving those smeared snare hits- sounds like it's growling. Totally cool effect. Synths and piano sound are perfectly chosen, and this really takes a track I didn't care for too much on the original soundtrack and really gives it attitude. Great panning, and a good flow. Very good stuff, another win for the Xenogears project!

I think this has to be the best song with the most unoriginal mix title on the site haha. :razz:

For the love of god you better finish your other version of this from 3 years ago! Although this version captures the despair and dark feel of the original source to a T. You really breathed some new life into a well used source tune dude!

I enjoyed this song so much I had to turn off Last.fm scrobbling. I didn't want people to see how OCD I was, listening to the same song over and over. :D

It's like Front Line Assembly knocked up Massive Attack and this was their beautiful love child. Brilliant!

I can't begin to express just how amazing this song is. I've had it on repeat for the past hour since I was able to download "Humans + Gears" and, needless to say, this is one of the most haunting songs, to me, in the entire game soundtrack. When I first heard it playing the game, I was overtaken with a sort of nostalgic emotion that I didn't understand. All I know is that my heart rate sped up and I could hardly tear my eyes away from the TV screen.

The same goes for this song. I'm listening to this and it instantly reminds me of the somber edge the original track had. The glitches, scratches, and hard hitting bass beats of the song really brought a new sound to this track. The piano and echoes, along with the different melodies overlapping each other, truly bring out the best in this piece. As stated, it has an intense crescendo effect and the heart thumping at the end of the track left me breathless.

Since Nano Wrimo is coming up, I can honestly say that this is one of MANY tracks from my OC Remix collection that will be going into my writing playlist. Excellent job R3FORGED! I look forward to hearing more of your material in the future.

I am extremely surprised that this mix doesn't have more reviews than it does now at this point. This really captured my attention from the beginning with the pulsating beat. It's literally echoing through me, in a totally awesome way. Not so awesome for my cats though :/

I love the depressing feel of this mix overall. That feeling is portrayed perfectly, and I can easily see why this would be called "Omen." Glitching throughout is subtly but very effectively done, along with most of the other effects.

Nice work!

EDIT: Oh yea, and heartbeat = creepy.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be honest and say that I originally gave this a pass at first, but now that I listened to it, I have to say its one of the best songs I've listened to for a long time.

The song really drew me in at the start with the hard pulsating beat, piano was nice'n'light and when combined with the drums and glitches had a dark edge to it.

Heartbeat at the end? Creepy, and effective. I like it :nicework:

Same thing happened to me. The first listen I really paid attention to everything and just thought, meh, it's pretty good. But I left it on repeat and started doing something else, and I caught my head bobbing along on the second playthrough. So I 'listened' closely again, and now I'm impressed with how the elements were merged; it's going on a CD as soon as I get a chance. Feels very...subfusc. Nice work R3FORGED!

• 2 weeks later...

The incredibly strong beats and glitching effects of varying degrees of subtlety really craft an enjoyable piece of music. The distorted piano works well, though some of the skipped notes felt a little awkward. The pulsating noise at the end was a really cool touch, but I wish it was a bit shorter or incorporated while the rest of the song was still breaking down - having that many seconds of almost-silence puts a definite gap in the album that I'm not really a fan of :?

Overall, though, it's a definite highlight off of the Gears disc, it really captures the essence of dark electronic music :-D

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

So, on a project full of amazing tracks, this one has grown into my favorite. It's odd, since I'm usually an all-melody, all-the-time sort, but there's just SO MUCH to love going on here. The massive bass to start things off, the great glitched out percussion, the panned piano lead and counter parts, then the big further glitchy synth, the driving bass part 2/3s through, the rising frantic feel as it pushes towards the end, and then the drop out, and finally the heart throbbing conclusion... I love literally everything about this piece, and you can really feel the years of tinkering that went into getting every part in just the right balance. Thanks so much for taking the time to get this right, and just in case it wasn't clear, love the track ;)

• 1 year later...

Ooooh, cool! Dark electronica with a metallic foreboding feeling. Me likely. Not a feel good tune, but it does elicit feelings and that's a great thing when you can manage it. The heartbeat was a sweet touch that fit right in. A bit sharp in areas, but it's not that bad at all. Other than that tiny thing, great ReMix.

• 2 years later...

"Starting with EDM, then shifting to Electro House, and finally ending with Akira Toriyama"

I believe it's supposed to be Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill) not Akira Toriyama (Dragon Ball). Since they both have a "yama" in their name, the error is understandable ;)

Anyway, great Mix! I love both Xenogears and Silent Hill, so it's great to see them come together like this! ^^

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01920 - Xenogears "Omen (R3 Mix)"