Yes, Another Chrono Trigger Remix...

Doni

Good points!

When I can get around to it I'll give it another listen if you want. Right now my ears are tired too, as you rightly explained above.... so some times it's hard to want to be accurate when my own ears are already practically bleeding from working on my own stuff like they were when I wrote that haha.

but anyway :)

worry not my friend! I'll update this post when I have put up another version. What kind of man would I be if I besieged you bleeding ears for such a trivial matter! Thanks again

I hate to break up the wonderful philisophical discussion going on here, but I feel that I should offer up some of that critique stuff of the ages.

I notice a few things as I'm listening here for the first time. At 0:32, the chords coming in sound out of place somewhat. I would feel more comfortable with them if they were overlayed on something else, like if the synth before them hadn't faded out completely.

Overall it sounds really good past 1:42, I think the House style you were going for came out really well. I'm going to listen to it again with proper bass (^_^) and probably love it from that point on.

Some people might criticize you for using the original sound samples at the beginning, but I think they're perfect, especially since you don't keep them for terribly long. It makes it clear that you're transitioning from a rather solid cover-like intro to a much more interpretive house piece throughout the song.

Ooh... I love the dirty bass work around 6:00 and onward, nicely done.

*repeats track for second listen*

The drumline at 0:16 is golden, really it is. I feel that at 0:32, it might work well to layer another drum (something deeper, like the deep bongo suggested before me) into the mix, to give it a bit more depth. Still, it's fine the way it is.

1:02 to 1:33 is perfect, it's an area where the chords I mentioned (starting at 0:32) really sound good with the flute above and the bass below. While they don't work exposed, they *do* work with other things going on around them. From here on out the piece really has body, none of that empty feeling from the intro. If this was intended, I'd work only on making the exposed parts in the intro not as raw, so they don't sound out of place.

Ok, the long synth around 3:25 sounds bad to me. There's not enough variation, you've got just the one stale chord and the original arpeggio from the song. When you start adding in the lower notes around 3:39 it resolves and sounds great, but I also note that it fades that one synth out at that point. Perhaps you could cut from 3:25 to 3:39 directly? The break is good, but it's a bit longish, and if you started adding the lower synths immediately with much less of a delay, it wouldn't sound so bare. Meh, just a thought. If not a direct cut, it would also work if you reduced it from 8 measures to just 4.

Overall I like the piece. It's a bit long, but this style of music tends to do that, and it's good for DJ work especially since that makes it more fun to mix with. Knowing that you had this in mind, I can't criticize the length at all.

I feel that I'm being nit picky here, so like usual don't take offense. I kept production strictly *off* the list as it's still not something I'd consider myself skilled at, this review is solely based on what I can hear, and not at all based on what I know your studio software is capable of. Can't wait for the final version, I think with just a bit more tweaking this is on par with most everything I've seen submitted here, so I'll wish you luck. ^_^ Later, I'll listen to it with real bass.

-gamefreak

This is pretty sweet. My biggest thing was that long ass note towards the middle. No variation whatsoever so I'm just like when is this gonna stop. If you're gonna hold it that long, put some variation in there or turn it into a melody of some sorts. The bassline sounds pretty cool because of the grit that's on top gives it that nice house sound. You do that long note thing again towards the end of the song as well put some variation on it and it'll become less unbearable not to say that in a disrespectful way it'll be more interesting, that sounds better lol. But yeah pretty sparse feedback but I suck at critiquing peoples work so I apologize for that.

Other than that great stuff man I really don't see why this wouldn't be posted on ocr after a few more tweeks because it sounds pretty good production wise there's nothin that sticks out like this was produced bad or below the average line so you have a good thing goin.

I'm listening on a kind of bad setup right now so take what I say with a truckload of salt. :oops:

Well, I like it! I think maybe you went too far the 'other way' on my suggestion with the opening bass (though the new change it creates is interesting!) comes in at like :31 or :32

What I had said before was more to do with the band width and placement of the bass, wasn't really all that audible (so maybe I shouldn't have said! haha) so now it might need fattening or be in between what it was and what it is, somewhere.

But I like where the 'double bass' drops in after 1:00, it sounds good thereafter.

And the long string sections could maybe be a good place for effects, like a filter, flanger or phaser. Seems like a nice spot to 'demo' something.

And again, my opinions (opinions currently being made in a system that has problems in itself)

Ok, so here's another version. The only thing I did since last day was give it a general mastering treatment. Just tossed some sugar on it

But I did alot more to the previous version:

1. Eq'd the belltones (the main sound in the opening)
  2. Changed how the strings come in around 30s. Some people think this should be bass.. but actually its just synth without much going on in low end frequencies directly
  3. tried to make the flutes sound a bit more aural... I want it to sound clean but also like it was being played by a forrest animal quartet.. if that makes any sense lol
  4. general eq's all around
  5. into the second drop I added some extra transitions and eq'd the whole section. I didn't add any extra effects to this section because for me its the holding on that note that makes the next part that comes in much sweeter.
  6. made several little anal changes...

Thats about all I can remember :| I've been tormented by this one for days and weeks now... hopefully this can be closer to a finished product. I'll leave her alone for a few days and let me ears heal themselves and let my mind absolve itself of memory of this song so that I can take another objective listen... Then I'll probably submit it to :)

Thanks again all, let me know what you think :)

After giving my ears further time to desensitize, I have posted a final version of this track, submitted it to the overclocked gods, and have also given the track a final name of "Chronoelctro".

The mix arrangement did not change, but I decided against running the final mixdown through another mastering program. It was a toss up between sounding meatier or more defined, and my desensitized ears told me to go with the more defined sound.

Here it is, hopefully it gets accepted by the team :) It's my first real submission. A while back I had submitted a track but it was more of a cover than a remix, which I soon learned was not acceptable.

http://www.donimusic.com/projects/Doni-Chronolectro.mp3

I like it! The drums are also hitting harder, which is good. I think the metallic sounds are a bit over the top, but I think that's just my taste, rather than the quality of it. Overall, I really like this one.

Glad to hear it!! :oops:

Thanks for taking a second listen. We'll see what the judges think. There is a lot of tough competition in the Chrono Trigger library, but I hope to join them soon :nicework:

• 1 month later...

Gotta say the original is of of my fave songs ever, Your version in fantastic, in places. Others though just seem to have far too much texture goin on at once. It's a little complicated for my ears, but thats just me. The drums really are very good. But they stand out too much, almost as if you just copied and pasted something ontop. If they were just a little softer that would be perfect for me. But again, thats just me :)

Would need very little tweeking I think.

The video make me lol a few times :P I so wanna hack the game now n make a night club or summant :P

Gotta say the original is of of my fave songs ever, Your version in fantastic, in places. Others though just seem to have far too much texture goin on at once. It's a little complicated for my ears, but thats just me. The drums really are very good. But they stand out too much, almost as if you just copied and pasted something ontop. If they were just a little softer that would be perfect for me. But again, thats just me :)

Would need very little tweeking I think.

The video make me lol a few times :P I so wanna hack the game now n make a night club or summant :P

Thanks Tydin :)

The original is probably my favorite gaming song period. I can remember every detail of my ascent to the city of Zeal.... wow! It just makes my hairs stand up on end

The production style is made for the dancefloor... maybe you are right and the drums might stick out a bit too much. I submitted this one to OCR so if they ask for a resub, I'll change it then. Even if it's denied, I'll still take note of what you said :)

Thanks again

Doni,

Great job Doni once again. Tabla in the intro was very nice. This song is much better than your previous two songs (don't take it the wrong way, I love both of them, this is just better). Very good dance track. The only thing I can point out here is that some parts of the song could've been shorter (less repeats) to keep up the interest.

Overall, this track has very high probability of getting positive response from judges. Best of luck!

Doni,

Great job Doni once again. Tabla in the intro was very nice. This song is much better than your previous two songs (don't take it the wrong way, I love both of them, this is just better). Very good dance track. The only thing I can point out here is that some parts of the song could've been shorter (less repeats) to keep up the interest.

Overall, this track has very high probability of getting positive response from judges. Best of luck!

Hey Mystix :)

actually I made this one before the others hahaha.The source is one of my favs 4 sure, so maybe that's why it was better. Hopefully the judges like it... it should be up for review pretty soon

• 2 months later...

The judges panel just told me that my track oversampled from the original source :banghead:

True, I did sample part of the melody, but oversample? I disagree. I sampled the bells for effect. I believe it should be obvious by listening to the track that I 'could have' recreated that particular sound if I wanted to... :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43OuDNrZWEc

Have a listen and let me know what you think...