OCR01921 - Xenogears "Of Sea and Fire"

djpretzel

I love the whole merry jig feel aboot the song. Aside from nearly blowing me speakers (due to Awesome, and me forgetting to turn them down) this mix be kicking some rocks. My sea shanty twill never be the same.

YAR!!

Hahaha...pirates.

This mix literally changed how I viewed sequencing the what a "lead" could accomplish in computer based music. INCREDIBLE!

Dave, I distinctly remember gushing and playing this for you at your house during VGL DC. I feel like I deserve some part of the fanboy credit here. ;)

Ziwtra's been a good friend and a fantastic musician and I've admired him on both levels for quite some time now. I remember one thing he said to me a long time ago in one of our AIM conversations that has always stuck, and I cite it every now and then (usually when I'm voting). But basically, it has to do with the fact that some people with very nice samples and plugins have such a hard time writing anything that is particularly moving, while others who might be using either freeware or limited and very basic/limited sounds are able to make you want to get up on your feet and dance around or go on a nice little mental flight into wonderland.

Ziwtra is definitely the latter. He can take a rough violin sample, or a saw wave, or a piano and turn it into one of the most emotionally compelling riffs you've ever heard. This has been a favorite of mine all the way since the early WIP he let me hear.

My biggest regret as far as Ziwtra goes is that he doesn't have more time than he does to make amazing music.

Specifically regarding this mix, I love the virtual warm up, the instrumental palette, and the way it seamlessly weaves in and out of the 2/3 and 2/4 (or 4/4, whatever) feel of the 6/8 time signature. Absolutely splendid stuff!

Edited by big giant circles

I love this mix, so peppy and amazing. Truly Brilliant.

However, am I the only one that notices what sounds like feedback at 3:19? It totally doesn't sound like it belongs in the song, maybe i'm just missing the instrument? But it sounds very unpleasant. I'm surprised noone else has mentioned it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am completely stricken with awe... I'll admit I was a bit turned off by this because of the length when I caught it as part of the Xenogears album, just because I was excited to hear the rest of the album, so my initial review may have been unfairly negative. However, now that I've had a chance to sit back, loop the track and take in just how much effort must have gone into making this all come together, I'm just awestruck. I can tell that parts of this are sequenced but it doesn't lose any of the charm - the sound effects at the beginning are a nice touch to make this feel like it was done live.

Monumental track, ziwtra! This and your other Xenogears contributions are all brilliant!

• 8 months later...

Very interesting sound from Ziwtra here. More acoustic than we've heard from him in the past. I'm not a fan of the solo violin here. It's so exposed that it's just too mechanical and synthetic for me. I would have loved it to have been one of the ethnic flutes we've heard from him over the years. It's hard for me to complain too much as I know that I don't think I could have done much better! However, the accordion was fantastic. This is like a Jazz Irish Jig. Not sure how that worked, but by God, it does! The drums are where this mix really shines. The attention to detail, the syncopation, the rhythm, etc really makes the track shine. I love the Celtic feel here. Very good stuff.

• 1 year later...
This is like a Jazz Irish Jig. Not sure how that worked, but by God, it does!

My thoughts exactly. The Celtic vibe sucked me right in and made me grin from ear to ear. Terrific work with the violin and the piano as well. Perfect for sailing or just kickin' it up in the rocky paths. It's amazing that you can make something sound so good for longer than six minutes, but you pulled it off to damn near perfection. Epic work, dude.

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01921 - Xenogears "Of Sea and Fire"