How would I go about finding someone to produce my music? (Render MIDI files to MP3s)

James_The_Composer

Well I've had a soundtrack I've been working on for a couple years now but it's all in MIDI form.

I am willing to pay someone to have these MIDI files turned into higher quality MP3s but I honestly don't know where to start. The files don't really even need too much extra accompaniment or anything, they just need a good arranger musician to run some high quality samples through them and touch them up.

I'm wondering if people here actually do this kind of work, or if there are some websites I should check out?

Thanks in advance. =)

Well certainly there's no shortage of people here who like to put their skills to $$$, but depending on the actual songs themselves and how much leeway you're willing to offer (not to mention $$$) could really depend on it.

Where do you live? Usually every fairly big city has at least one go-to producer of some kind who does that kind of thing or could refer you to someone who does. I live in a tourist town and while we're only really known musically for Dolly Parton, there is hardly a shortage of vantage points in that regard - you just gotta know where to look.

I'd say hit up a producer (EDIT: Contact one and start talking to him or her before you look toward hiring) in the nearest big city and see where to go from there.

Meteo, what are you talking about man? He just came to a website full of musicians and you're response is "Go find somebody in your city"? I just don't get you sometimes man, it's like you're just not thinking out any of your answer before you run to post them.

My advice is be patient, James. You should at least have a few people reply who'd probably be interested in upgrading your MIDI files for a reasonable fee. In the meanwhile, it would probably help them to post what style music you're talking about and what your turnaround is, and possibly your general budget, though if you'd prefer to withhold that until a few people express their interest, that's understandable and not uncommon.

Meteo, what are you talking about man? He just came to a website full of musicians and you're response is "Go find somebody in your city"? I just don't get you sometimes man, it's like you're just not thinking out any of your answer before you run to post them.

Well since we're asking, what is this new argumentative thing you're doing? I particularly don't understand it now since I did nothing to defeat the notion of hiring someone here.

All I said was "go TALK to one" not "go HIRE one." Some of this logic is based on my own experiences trying to collaborate with people here and talking to people I know IRL who work in the same field. Frankly, I feel like I get more done with a person IRL than on the internet, thus my SUGGESTION. It was a SUGGESTION and nothing more.

I'm not going to go any further on that because I'm particularly not interested in arguing with you any further, on this topic or any other. If you have an issue with me or what I post, please contact me privately in a decent manner and I'll resolve those issues. I don't appreciate being called out multiple times in public by someone I generally don't expect it from in a short period of time.

I'm dropping it from here. I suggest you do it too.

EDIT: Ok, it seems I just used a vague term, which I can understand now where this is coming from. I'll make the changes now.

Ok, let's try maybe something more helpful. What do you use to write your MIDIs, James?

Well, before an argument takes place I want to say thank you for your replys. =)

For my project I'm going to be hiring storyboard artists also and I'm almost strictly bent towards hiring people in person rather than on the internet.

But since I live in a small area about 2 hours away from "the city" I may have to go with online anyway. I guess I could make it into a collaberative project. Right now I'm just saving up the money to be able to do so.

At first I thought I would be able to produce the music as well as compose it, but now I'm starting to feel that it's just too much work for me to take on. I use Reason 3 which can give me some pretty great sound, but the problem is that it's extremely stressful work for me...I don't know if other people feel this way about music producing.....

A huge issue when doing this, I think, will be amount of time spent on one song. I think I need people that wouldn't put too much work into just one midi but can still create something that's pretty high quality and make it rock (as in the genre).

I guess I would hold auditions on this site in a thread?

I think it's either that or scout for people to remix the soundtrack, but the problem with that is that I may find people who are in-active online.

Sorry if it seems you drew an argument, I promise you didn't :) I'm only trying to help by filtering out poor advice. The thing is, while it's well and good to look for real people in your area, I can think of a number of reasons it'd be just as good/better to do this online.

*Online, you can easily find a niche of people who are going to fit your specifications because there are usually sites/groups/communities that lots of people with similar interests gather.

*File-swapping has never before been easier, faster, or cheaper than it is now. So sending MIDI's and MP3s back and forth is practically instantaneous.

*You can communicate with someone via instant message, email, or skype just as quickly as you can make a phone call or drive across town to someone's studio.

*Because many people can do this from home, you can save yourself some money by avoiding costly studio fees that a local, advertised producer might charge.

At any rate, like I said, give it a day or two, I'm sure you should have a good amount of replies from various people here who are capable and interested in helping you out.

What the fuck ever, Jimmy.

For my project I'm going to be hiring storyboard artists also and I'm almost strictly bent towards hiring people in person rather than on the internet.

But since I live in a small area about 2 hours away from "the city" I may have to go with online anyway. I guess I could make it into a collaberative project. Right now I'm just saving up the money to be able to do so.

Well, like I say, you can just talk to someone to get a frame of reference. A phone call or an email won't be a problem.

And, again, I'm not trying to steer you away from the plethora of talented people here, I'm just saying it might be a good idea to start with talking to a local person for a frame of reference first. My own experiences with collaborating MIDI-MP3 over the internet have been kinda mixed.

At first I thought I would be able to produce the music as well as compose it, but now I'm starting to feel that it's just too much work for me to take on. I use Reason 3 which can give me some pretty great sound, but the problem is that it's extremely stressful work for me...I don't know if other people feel this way about music producing.....

A huge issue when doing this, I think, will be amount of time spent on one song. I think I need people that wouldn't put too much work into just one midi but can still create something that's pretty high quality and make it rock (as in the genre).

There's certainly nothing wrong with just composing instead of needing to do both. I compose much better than I produce. I don't know how much success you're going to find with finding someone who just produces diamonds with little effort. As is all things in life, music takes real work. What you put in is what you get out.

Anyway, if you were to take someone's word here, you should probably go with Big Giant Circles. He's a professional and his experience definitely trumps mine.

james, i'd be happy to put your music into my setup and make some more realistic-sounding material. i've send you a PM - check your inbox.

edit: meteo, you really can be an ass. the guy's got thirty posts in two and a half years. give him a break and don't just post in a thread to post in it. if you've got a problem with BGC, that's what PMs are for. don't derail the thread.

I wasn't aware there was a problem to be had until now. I was not trying to be an ass, I just offering what I considered, based on my own experiences trying to collaborate over Ocremix, to be some decent suggestions. I'm sorry if it looked that way. I'd like to drop this issue now as it has no more public relevance, please.