New Member - First OCR - Opinions?

dbrown1986

I have 1 post! Yay! Rejoice! :-o

Well now, I have always come about this site religiously, and just last night I composed my first OCR (up until now I've been to afraid too). I've spent the last 16 hours on it, and I think it's time for me to take a well-deserved nap. Anyhow, before I crash, thought I would upload my OCR for listening before submitting it to the site.

Now I am a n00b here, and I have come asking for opinions and some answers too. I understand how things are, and I'm asking for **CONSTRUCTIVE** criticism, nothing more or less, if you feel like trolling or flaming, I will report you to a moderator for spamming (just a forewarning, not trying to sound like an ass).

Things I need to know...

* What Tag System should I use when tagging the details of the artist, album, composer, etc etc.

* Restricted Bitrates?

* Is OCRemix Required to be in the song title? The site in the album field?

* The steps I should take to upload it?

Anyhow, here are the download links to the song (I AM BEING VERY TRUSTWORTHY IN HAVING UPLOADED THE WHOLE SONG, SO PLEASE DON'T STEAL IT OR I WILL SEND MY FLM FILE TO A MOD AS PROOF!!!)

Song Info

Song Title - Dark Storms Over Hyrule

Game - Legend of Zelda: OoT

Base: Song of Storms

Artist - DarkHanzou (Stage Name)

Bitrate - 192kbps

Direct Link (Right-Click, Save As...):

http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/10/13/2601744/Darkhanzou%20-%20Dark%20Storms%20Over%20Hyrule%20%28OCRemix%29.mp3

Mirrors (Rarred):

http://filebeam.com/06139144a185b80c8c3b17f7de9634e3

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SSBWSKEK

http://rapidshare.com/files/295992155/dh_dsoh_ocr.rar.html

That's not how ocremix works. Read these.

Basically, you submit your remix, the judges evaluate it, if it passes, they'll handle tagging and hosting and everything.

As for your remix, it goes to Feedback: Workshop ReMixes for feedback (mods will move the thread anyway), or to submissions@ocremix.org to the judges. The latter whenever you think it's ready for them.

--

btw, listening to your work I'm fairy certain it wouldn't pass the judges' panel. It's too repetitive, not a balanced mix, the arrangement is very conservative, and the volume is really low. I suggest you take advantage of this being moved to the feedback board and learning from what ppl accustomed to ocr's standards think. :D

edit for Harmony: rapidshare worked for me. fileden didn't.

Now I am a n00b here, and I have come asking for opinions and some answers too. I understand how things are, and I'm asking for **CONSTRUCTIVE** criticism, nothing more or less, if you feel like trolling or flaming, I will report you to a moderator for spamming (just a forewarning, not trying to sound like an ass).

If you want some feedback before you submit, post your links in the wip (work in progress section) forum (its in the workshop section). No one will troll or spam anything there. No need to be defensive, these forums are very friendly in the music related sections. If anyone is being unreasonable the mods will pick up on it quickly.

Anyhow, here are the download links to the song (I AM BEING VERY TRUSTWORTHY IN HAVING UPLOADED THE WHOLE SONG, SO PLEASE DON'T STEAL IT OR I WILL SEND MY FLM FILE TO A MOD AS PROOF!!!)

People upload their mp3s here all the time, its very unlikely anyone will steal them. I think you're the first person I've ever seen to be worried about it enough to write a warning in their post.

Just saying, lighten up and enjoy the community, it's a bit disconcerting to say hi by warning us not to be mean.

None-the-less, welcome to the forums :3.

Welcome to music broadcasting ;) While all of us certainly understand and appreciate your request, things like this are really part of the risk for the millions of other musicians on the internet. Try not to worry so much. :)

It's unlikely it'll happen to you, but still possible. It's just part of the "risk" of putting your music out there for the masses to hear. So generally saying things like this are unnecessary because it's pretty universally understood. And hey, if someone does try to claim your music, then

1) if it's published here on OCR, we have a pretty huge community, and I guarantee that someone will find out sooner or later. We have an entire thread dedicated to tracking down music thieves.

2) just remember, though they're stealing your ideas, at least be a little flattered that they thought your work was so good that they wanted to claim it as their own ;)

*edit*

Additionally, don't be afraid to use these WIP forums, so that you can get feedback and advice from other mixers and listeners here in the community. This will help you address things you may have overlooked and get the mix as polished as you can before submitting your remix for site review.

The arrangement in itself is too conservative. You can definately identify the source which is good, but there isn't enough of your own spin in this. Structure wise it is gets repetitive. It took me about two or three listens, but it seems that the majority of the song is 0:44-1:27 being looped. I know it is hard stretching out a 44 second song into remix that lasts longer than 2 minutes but it is doable as long as there is variation, which the lack of it is one of the things holding this song back. Play with some of the notes to see what you can come up with. Who knows, it might sound nice. I do like the type of sound you are going for. :)

Thanks so far to everyone for the critique, these are all things I have identified with myself too, which is also the reason I came here first.

@ Scrap - Good point on Variation, That was my intention with the Acoustic Guitar, to give it a little kick. What else would you suggest.

As far as it goes now, I have shortened the "loop" to 2:23:00 and am still experimenting.

The volume issue was due to a Sine being active in one of my effects, which I have disabled.

About what you could try to get some more life into this : use the pure source only as an accent...this is hard to explain :P

You can build a whole new song out of the elements the source has, taking the notes out, arranging them to chords, using them for a new melody. This way, you can introduce the main theme, which in this is very short, to the audience after you've build up the feeling and made some hints towards the source. It's the verse, but you have to build the rest of the song to support that verse, without boring the listener with...continuous verse :P

I'm being so helpful here again, I hope you get what I mean.

Hello Friend,

I'm bored and at work, so allow me to point out a few things that may help you in life:

I have 1 post! Yay! Rejoice! :-o

congrats

Well now, I have always come about this site religiously, and just last night I composed my first OCR (up until now I've been to afraid too). I've spent the last 16 hours on it, and I think it's time for me to take a well-deserved nap. Anyhow, before I crash, thought I would upload my OCR for listening before submitting it to the site.

Don't be afraid, just create!

Alas my friend, you do sound like an ass. If you think this will invite people to review your work, it will not. You've assumed people are guilty without any proof. This kind of attitude will make your life difficult across the board.. just a thought...

Things I need to know...

* What Tag System should I use when tagging the details of the artist, album, composer, etc etc.

* Restricted Bitrates?

* Is OCRemix Required to be in the song title? The site in the album field?

* The steps I should take to upload it?

Just upload your track, give some info about the original and your remix... tag system? Don't reinvent the wheel. It's about the music, man.

*STEALS* haha oh come now... I couldn't resist. Don't be so paranoid!!!

Direct Link (Right-Click, Save As...):

Is that how that works? :razz:

It is repetitive and lacking timbre (tone color). Arrangement is something that I myself have never been able to tackle. And I also get confused about it. Like, when is too much original work TOO much where it strays completely from the source of the remix? And when is there not enough original touches? Stuff like this seems to be the reason why this particular forums exists so to take a sort of trial-and-error approach to submission. Trust me. You're gonna go through a LOT of tries before you create something the judges find worthy of accepting. Ever heard the term "audiophile"? These guys are audio NAZIS! But that's not a bad thing. They are pros and will not hesitate to give you a critical review but considering how skilled they are they can teach you a thing or two. I find with every failed submission I learn a lot more about my skills. Sometimes I get depressed and discouraged when I get rejected. But after a week or two of sulking and questioning why my sound isn't as fat as the other mixers or why my guitar seems to be lacking a quality greatly needed, I take a goooood sharp look at when other people are doing and try to gain some inspiration from them.

I have yet to get a remix posted. But I'll be damned if I don't gain some experience from every attempt.

Well, I enjoyed listening to this. It's rough, it's a beginner's work, but from what you had you put together a piece that sounds quite pleasant to me. Putting the sharper acoustic guitar sound to the softer synth sounds did have a nice contrast.

Arrangement-wise, there's a lot of repetition. Or putting it in another way, the piece sounds like a static background music piece, rather than a listening-music piece that progresses.

Not bad as a start, keep working!

--Eino

Ok? How are you being any more trustworthy than any of the other hundreds of people who upload their entire songs? That's the only way for people to listen to it dont ya think?

Also, if you ever have a question regarding how a site does things, it's always helpful to go to the site guidelines.

http://ocremix.org/info/Submission_Standards_and_Instructions

There's the rules of submission.

As for the song....like the guy below me already said. It's way too repetitive, it sounds like you created maybe 8 bars and just copied and pasted it.

The drum beat does the same thing throughout the entire song.

Of course, everyone has to start somewhere when making music. No one is a pro starting off...I shudder at some of the first pieces of music I made, but hey they were great back then.

You have a long way to go, and I don't mean that in a "you need to stop way", I'm just telling you, realistically, the standards for songs around here are pretty high. I'll admit, there are a few songs I've heard on here that I'm amazed passed judging, but there are also some incredibly brilliant ones that sound like they'd be on the official sound track.

You should really listen to some of the other songs to get ideas and inspiration and just get an idea of the quality you need to strive for.

Good luck

This just seems like a bad start for your time in here :( take heed from the comments and I suggest everybody just forget how he introduced himself to the community, give him a fresh start now that he knows how it should be done.

We all learn from our mistakes, you should do just that and make your life a lot easier here :)