OCR01922 - Xenogears "Akkadia Rising"

djpretzel

Beautiful mix with a really nice and warm background to it.

Feels like something you might listen to when just sitting back and having a lazy day, with he clouds flying above and the sun beating down on you, ignoring the rat race.

Its relaxed, and well created! Kudos indeed!

If I listened to this blind, I would have NEVER guessed that this was the same Avaris who I worked with for Radical Dreamers. You have come a ridiculously long way, and this is complete awesome. I love the overall tone of the piece. I think the drumwork stands out the most to me on this, it never gets stuck in just one groove.

Prophet's sounding pretty sexy in this too. All around nice saxwork.

Great work to the both of you!

There's a lot to like about this mix. The production quality is absolutely top notch, the performance on saxophone is stellar. The mix is both creative and pleasant to listen to.

There's a lot to like about this mix... and yet, I didn't like it.

It's not that there's anything, musically, about Akkadia Rising that is bad. In fact, it's an excellent song. My problem with it as a remix (and I realize that most people won't necessarily share this problem) is that it is just too far removed from the source material. The original piece is one of my favorites on any soundtrack, and I found my ear kept waiting for the 'payoff', when the intense, urgent, almost frightening feeling of Awakening would show up... but the track ended and it never did. My own expectations coming into the piece led me astray.

In other words, it's an excellent piece in it's own right, but as an interpretation of Awakening it seems, to me, to have missed the mark.

Thank you for the nice comments philomory. :) (the song was done entirely in Logic with some external instruments)

I am really big on keeping to a source's feel as well. The reason this song was done this way was bc when Brad and I were looking for a song to do a sax solo on, this was the only song left that had a strong melody. For the project we had originally planned to make the awakening track a fairly large collab effort with tons of guitars and an upbeat/aggressive feel. BUUUUT....that never happened haha. :puppyeyes:

• 4 weeks later...

I've heard of industrial metal, but this is, like, industrial jazz.

It has this ethereal hazy quality to it, sort of like... I keep getting this mental image of fog at an abandoned industrial park and you can tell that a living presence is somewhere in there, but you can't find them.

I would imagine this is the sort of background music that would play in areas of L4D if the players weren't around to hear it. The atmosphere is so wonderfully thick in this track; without a doubt, this is my favorite track from Humans + Gears.

• 2 weeks later...

Really sick beats you've got going on here, it makes the sax sound so much better when there's some sort of padding for it to sit on, as opposed to the solo version which sounded pretty weird to me.

42's comment about the "haziness" of the soundscape is dead-on, everything feels like it's floating around in the air for a few seconds after the initial notes hit like a cloud of smoke... Really ambient, really engrossing. Wonderful collab guys!

• 2 years later...

Hmm. I never really wondered what dark jazz that was almost menacing at times and light at others would sound like, but it's pretty neat. A little mesmerizing in its atmosphere, and that sax is simply tasty. This album has so many great tracks like this one and it ones like this that makes me want to actually play the game now.

• 3 years later...

Usually I don't like such songs as I always find them quite boring and monotonous, but strangely, I really enjoy this song. Brad's marvellous sax and Shawn's trippy breaks make this track a truly standout example of this so-called dark jazz or whatever Very sexy track, guys... Uh. Oh, and of course, it's very relaxing, laid-back and such :P

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01922 - Xenogears "Akkadia Rising"