FF7 in 494 words (it isn't emo)

Zipp

Guys, I just have one question. During the second bombing mission, the president comes and speaks to the party. Cloud says to president shinra "long time no see." The president says "You must be that SOLDIER that quit and joined Avalanche." Cloud was never in SOLDIER. Why did the president say that? Is it just a mistake?

Probably cuz Sephiroth changed the President's memory too. :/

Guys, I just have one question. During the second bombing mission, the president comes and speaks to the party. Cloud says to president shinra "long time no see." The president says "You must be that SOLDIER that quit and joined Avalanche." Cloud was never in SOLDIER. Why did the president say that? Is it just a mistake?

he probably mixed Cloud up with Zack

Well then, my only remaining explanation is that he's an ignorant mofo that doesn't know the inner workings of his own company, or at least who the hell his employees are.

I mean, he himself said that he didn't pay much attention to anyone but Sephiroth.

also was it the president that ordered Zack killed?

I don't seem to remember that.

I thought it was all an internal SOLDIER thing

brb checking my Crisis Core save

FF VII was/is a really great game and I agree with a previous poster that it is due for a remake. (possibly even with added story content to make it tie in more perfectly with Crisis Core) I wouldn't call it the most enduring game of all time though.

You probably should have thrown in, "In my opinion.." in front of that. That's a pretty serious pedestal your setting it on.

Well then, my only remaining explanation is that he's an ignorant mofo that doesn't know the inner workings of his own company, or at least who the hell his employees are.

I mean, he himself said that he didn't pay much attention to anyone but Sephiroth.

also was it the president that ordered Zack killed?

I don't seem to remember that.

I thought it was all an internal SOLDIER thing

brb checking my Crisis Core save

I hate you guys so much.

THIS IS HOW THE SITUATION HAPPENED:

Some guy the president: HEY DID YOU HEAR THAT AVALANCHE HAS AN EX-SOLDIER MEMBER?

President to the Cloud: Long time no see? Who the fuck are you some nub? I guess you're that guy who quit SOLDIER for AVALANCHE unless you stole someone clothes. whatever afk.

Is that seriously that unplausible?

Ah, FF7. I seriously don't get why people obsess about characters like cloud and sephirot. Sure FF7 was awesome, though personally I still like ff6 over it, but still, great game. But these two characters, I really don't get why they are so special. Specially Sephiroth, I always tought he didn't really have a good excuse to become a villian. In the case of Kefka, he was just batshit crazy because people fucked up with magitek experiments on him and it screwed up his mind. You put an insane person with delirium and nihilistic thoughts in a position of power and you will surely get the world into some deep shit, that's very plausible.

Now I would really like those well versed in the FF7 story to explain to me why Sephiroth became obsessed with destroying everything. As far as I remember his reasons always seemed really silly and dare I say, emo to me, and as a villian, he ended up feeling very weak. I dunno, maybe its just me and I can't like people who can't get over stupid shit.

Cloud was OK but I like to think that people like him because he looks cool with his big ass sword and all that. Personally I cared more about Tidus than Cloud.

EDIT: And as for "the most enduring game of all time", yeah right, well maybe for the most enduring ff7 fanboy. As I said, great game, but most enduring? uh. I can think of many, many more games more enduring than this one, but hey if you did it to add shock value to your article, well then kudos.

I hate you guys so much.

THIS IS HOW THE SITUATION HAPPENED:

Some guy the president: HEY DID YOU HEAR THAT AVALANCHE HAS AN EX-SOLDIER MEMBER?

President to the Cloud: Long time no see? Who the fuck are you some nub? I guess you're that guy who quit SOLDIER for AVALANCHE unless you stole someone clothes. whatever afk.

Is that seriously that unplausible?

huh I thought that's what I was saying

Oh...well...carry on then.

Now I would really like those well versed in the FF7 story to explain to me why Sephiroth became obsessed with destroying everything. As far as I remember his reasons always seemed really silly and dare I say, emo to me, and as a villian, he ended up feeling very weak. I dunno, maybe its just me and I can't like people who can't get over stupid shit.

Well...I mean....once Sephiroth figured out that JENOVA was KIND of his mom, and kind of this weird statue thing being hauled up in this power plant that is suspiciously now infested with mutants, he becomes obsessed with finding out who/what he REALLY is. Then he kind of finds out he was created through a series of genetic experiments. Not only that, but he was essentially created from an alien which, that and of itself, could probably mess you up pretty bad (albeit he didn't KNOW she was an alien right away). Essentially it's pretty similar to kefka with a twist. In retrospect, a pretty over the top twist.

Then he finds out that JENOVA's real purpose was to destory everything on the earth, he decides to follow in mom's footsteps. BUT pretty much Sephiroth, like Kefka and Cloud, is pretty much a ticking time-bomb of bananas.

Well...I mean....once Sephiroth figured out that JENOVA was KIND of his mom, and kind of this weird statue thing being hauled up in this power plant that is suspiciously now infested with mutants, he becomes obsessed with finding out who/what he REALLY is. Then he kind of finds out he was created through a series of genetic experiments. Not only that, but he was essentially created from an alien which, that and of itself, could probably mess you up pretty bad (albeit he didn't KNOW she was an alien right away). Essentially it's pretty similar to kefka with a twist. In retrospect, a pretty over the top twist.

Yeah thats how I remember it but seriously ok you find out this freak was your mom, any guy would go ok thats kinda gross and fucked up, maybe get depressed for a while, thats understandable. It's like finding out you're adopted, OK I didn't come from where I thought I came but in the end everyone just gets the fuck over it, I haven't heard of anyone going apeshit at the world because they found they were adopted or some shit.

And you know being made from some alien crud could mess you up pretty bad, but unlike kefka who went batshit crazy from the moment they messed up with him (before the game started I guess, because he's always loony in the game) , Sephirot just kinda flipped a switch. If you remember the flashbacks he was a pretty normal dude, in fact he was even kinda heroic, they never even implied he was fucked up in the inside back then. Anyways its all really silly to me. And don't get me started on the following JENOVA's footsteps thats like oh I just found out my real parents were psychopaths and murderers lets become one too just for shits and giggles.

Anyways I digress. This thread is about cloud and I guess I don't have much to say about the guy cuz I don't really think he's as zomgawesome as many people think but hey if your thing is writing about how awesome he is more power to you I really have no complains about spikyhairdude, at least not in FF7 because as others pointed out he's just pathetic in KH, its as if he and squall changed bodies.

Sephiroth was being mind controlled (or at the very least influenced) by Jenova.

Shinra was experimenting in an attempt to make people more powerful by injecting them with Jenova cells. Soldier (or SOLDIER if you want to be anal about it) was the result of that experiment. The different levels of Solider (3rd/2nd/1st class) have increasing amounts of Jenova cells injected into them (apparently you have to be sufficiently badass enough to withstand being injected with them in the first place, which is why they don't just give everyone the full dose). Cloud (and Zack) were different because they got injected with a massive amount of them after the whole Nibelheim thing. Sephiorth was different because he was injected with them before he was born.

Jenova can control people with Jenova cells in them. Remember the whole black-cloaked "reunion" guys? Remember Cloud freaking out more than once and handing Sephiroth the black materia/nearly killing Aeris/etc? That was Jenova mindhacking them.

Sephiroth is seriously just Jenova's pawn. In the same way, you could argue that Cloud is just Aeris' errand boy. The real conflict is between Jenova (the evil alien thing trying to destroy the planet) and Aeris (the last Ancient, protectors of the planet). It's just presented in the guise of Sephiroth vs. Cloud, because neither Jenova nor Aeris can move around and do their thing freely (the former because she got blown up real good by the Ancients however long ago, and the latter because she got skewered by Sephiroth right after she figured out what was actually going on).

Sephiroth was being mind controlled (or at the very least influenced) by Jenova.

Shinra was experimenting in an attempt to make people more powerful by injecting them with Jenova cells. Soldier (or SOLDIER if you want to be anal about it) was the result of that experiment. The different levels of Solider (3rd/2nd/1st class) have increasing amounts of Jenova cells injected into them (apparently you have to be sufficiently badass enough to withstand being injected with them in the first place, which is why they don't just give everyone the full dose). Cloud (and Zack) were different because they got injected with a massive amount of them after the whole Nibelheim thing. Sephiorth was different because he was injected with them before he was born.

Jenova can control people with Jenova cells in them. Remember the whole black-cloaked "reunion" guys? Remember Cloud freaking out more than once and handing Sephiroth the black materia/nearly killing Aeris/etc? That was Jenova mindhacking them.

Sephiroth is seriously just Jenova's pawn. In the same way, you could argue that Cloud is just Aeris' errand boy. The real conflict is between Jenova (the evil alien thing trying to destroy the planet) and Aeris (the last Ancient, protectors of the planet). It's just presented in the guise of Sephiroth vs. Cloud, because neither Jenova nor Aeris can move around and do their thing freely (the former because she got blown up real good by the Ancients however long ago, and the latter because she got skewered by Sephiroth right after she figured out what was actually going on).

This right here is what you call a beautifully succinct plot summary. Nice!

I thought Sephiroth was controlling Cloud. Could it be that Jenova was controlling Sephiroth to control Cloud?

I thought Sephiroth was controlling Cloud. Could it be that Jenova was controlling Sephiroth to control Cloud?

Doesn't really make a difference; the upshot was that Jenova was ultimately in control of them both (at least until Cloud snapped out of it after Mideel).

and when you can't gather that by just playing the game, something is very wrong with the game.

Or the players. Remember that we're talking about the fandom that completely forgot that Cloud was "fixed" by the end of the story. Which is why he's still an angsty loner emofactory in stuff like Advent Children.

Most good stories can explain themselves and get their major points across without you going "wtf did I just watch/play".

The main plot points of FF7 are pretty easy to pick up just by playing it once. Arguably the main difficulties that arise in understanding are due to poor localization. And again, I would still argue that some of the greatest stories require multiple readings/watchings to really understand. I think any literary critic would agree with me.

Sorry, I think most literary critics would DISAGREE with you. You cannot write a GOOD story if it cannot be understand in and of itself. I shouldn't need outside material to help me understand what I just watched or played.

A well constructed story should stand on its own, with one viewing/playing to fully understand. Anything beyond that is just art for the sake of art (which is not art).

Thanks for the summary Jovian, I knew about the jenova cells and all that but I never looked at the plot from that side. Still if this is the case and sephiroth was just a marionette, well that leaves us with a real villian that has absolutely no motivation, oh well.

I can't argue that FF7 had a good story, because it did, I think there are good stories that can be simple and understandable on the first pass, and also good stories that require additional examination and analysis. For example most people would understand the story behind say Million dollar baby on the first watch, but most people would need to watch several times say, for example, 2001: a space odyssey, and read extra analysis to grasp it. Both great stories on their own, but one needs further analysis to be fully understood.