FF7 in 494 words (it isn't emo)

Zipp

Still if this is the case and sephiroth was just a marionette, well that leaves us with a real villian that has absolutely no motivation, oh well.

Sure, the same way that Lavos has no motivation in Chrono Trigger. Most people seemed to think that that turned out alright.

unlike ff7, where several playthroughs still = wtf

If you haven't gotten the general idea of what's going on in FFVII after several playthroughs, then I don't know what to tell you. It's entirely possible to get the whole plot as I've described it in a single playthrough. Part of the reason why FFVII is a bit confusing is because we're re-told the same thing multiple times (how many times do they go over the Nibelheim flashback? Three? More?) and none of them tell the whole true story. We're told that Soldiers are showered with mako to make them more powerful. Then we're told that they're "infused" with it in the same sort of process that we see making monsters in the Nibelheim flashback. Then we're told that it's not actually mako at all, but Jenova cells. Repeat this for every major plot point (and most minor ones) and it does get a little confusing.

But it only takes one playthrough to get the gist of it, and if you're still "wtf?" after several, that's your fault rather than the game's.

But it only takes one playthrough to get the gist of it, and if you're still "wtf?" after several, that's your fault rather than the game's.

I kinda have to agree, I only played FFVII once (just recently, like this recent summer) and I pretty much got the story down.

Maybe you were just too distracted by the empty/dark/depressing parts to pay attention to the story.

2001 is probably the worst example you could have put forward, given that it is an awful movie.
o...k... o_0

And NJ I can't argue that people think that chrono trigger didn't turned out ok because of lavos, because I think it turned out AWESOME. Like I can't argue that final fantasy 5 didn't turn out ok because Exdeath was just TEH BIG BAD EVIL. However I can argue that the idea of a big bad evil that wants to destroy the world just because, is kinda trivial, overdone and unoriginal. I like the stories more when the characters on it have a reason to do what they do, they feel more real that way.

Xenogears!

That's right, I went there.

I liked how the review had a pretty original point of view. Reading about how FF7 starts with a bad-ass soldier and then chipps away at him little by little makes it sound way cooler than it seemed when I actually played it. I have never thought of FF7 as emo, but my best friend said "it paved the way for other emo RPGs." I don't really know what she meant, but probably the first example she would've given is FF8, and several people in this thread have also agreed that Squall is emo. But I don't think he's emo either. Granted, I moved to Japan before the whole emo "movement" started, but isn't an emo person someone who acts depressed so that everyone will pity them? It seems like every time anyone gets whiny about anything, they get labelled as emo. Squall's girlfriend fell into a coma! You guys don't find that a valid excuse for being bummed? I do.

Xenogears!

That's right, I went there.

I liked how the review had a pretty original point of view. Reading about how FF7 starts with a bad-ass soldier and then chipps away at him little by little makes it sound way cooler than it seemed when I actually played it. I have never thought of FF7 as emo, but my best friend said "it paved the way for other emo RPGs." I don't really know what she meant, but probably the first example she would've given is FF8, and several people in this thread have also agreed that Squall is emo. But I don't think he's emo either. Granted, I moved to Japan before the whole emo "movement" started, but isn't an emo person someone who acts depressed so that everyone will pity them? It seems like every time anyone gets whiny about anything, they get labelled as emo. Squall's girlfriend fell into a coma! You guys don't find that a valid excuse for being bummed? I do.

Squall was emo LONG before that ever happened.

Hahaha. I'm sorry, Neblix. I don't hate ALL kids.

I just wanted to say that there are tons of teenagers that act like squall acted and they can't all be classified as emo. From what I've read, there are all these cliques and one of the newer ones consists of a bunch of kids who don't get along with all the other kids and feel out of place and so they get down about it and then decide to just continue being down intentionally so that they can generate pity from others because it makes them feel better.

At least that's what I THINK emo means.

If that's the right definition, then Squall isn't emo.

Hahaha. I'm sorry, Neblix. I don't hate ALL kids.

I just wanted to say that there are tons of teenagers that act like squall acted and they can't all be classified as emo. From what I've read, there are all these cliques and one of the newer ones consists of a bunch of kids who don't get along with all the other kids and feel out of place and so they get down about it and then decide to just continue being down intentionally so that they can generate pity from others because it makes them feel better.

At least that's what I THINK emo means.

If that's the right definition, then Squall isn't emo.

Emo means you're so depressed and emotional that you hurt (usually cutting your wrist is what everyone expects from emo people) yourself intentionally. If you don't hurt yourself, you're not emo. You're just depressed.