OCR01157 - *YES* Ico 'Icon'

djpretzel

Hello mr DJp,

Here is my remix

I hope you like it. It was done in Reason2.5 over the course of about a week.

The cutup in the middle was done on Goldwave. SuperGreenX kindly donated some samples. There is a longer version, but the intro I think is a bit unnecessary when you can just reverse the first bar and put a Yorda sample on.

All the best

Binster

• 2 weeks later...

You know how mixing can make or break a song? Well unfortunately the mixing on this one broke it.

I can imagine how this mix should sound. The arrangement and sounds used are great, the song itself is such a yes. It's the mixing that spoils it completely.

For a start, all of the sounds are in your face. I think that with some subtlety, and separation, the mix would sound less saturated. I wasn't too sure if the texture was deliberate or not untiil the second half. That distorted synth was way too loud and all the pad like atmospheric sounds clashed with it, causing a bit of a mess.

With the mixing improved this would be a yes, but as it stands for now,

NO

Another binster with a hip ICO mix. What could go wrong?

Ok, now I hear the cause for WTF. It's more different than messy for a bridge; I actually think it's kinda cool. In fact, this mix is processed and laden with complete coolness from beginning to end. It's in your face and makes no excuses about it. And builds and transitions introduced in reverse are always fun.

Very good arrangement of the ICO title theme, thumbs up.

YES

Listen up chillin'.

This song is how you use reverses in a break and don't suck.

I see Malcos' point about samples that definately could use a bit more subtlety, and some mixing and mastering is a bit rough.

But what we've got here is a raw, energetic, asskickin' remix that takes some risks and does well not to tank. It's got a variety of timbres. It moves around, stylistically and musically. A lot of people can make this kind of music, and make it boring. It takes a bit of finesse to keep an upbeat electronica track rockin'.

Binster's got the RAWK. In Spades.

GG HF GL GJ TTYL

YEEAAAAYYY[/Lil' Jon]

-D

heh- that middle section reminds me of Secret Chiefs 3 or Mr. Bungle :P

Really cool stuff- nice variety, quite stylish and imaginative all around. The mixing does hurt though- some instruments are much too up front, and everything sounds overcompressed

But if you can get past the mastering, there's a pretty good mix here.

YES

Ok this is very cool. I like the instrumental sections. Nice usage of sound effects. Love the choice of instruments too. Gotta love the stringed instrument. The stringed instrument is apparently from the original, cut up and resequenced. Sounds very smooth. Great beats.

My main complaint here is the way this was mixed and mastered. Why are all you electronica people making things overcompressed and extremely loud as well? Louder is not better. It sounds so flat and as the other judges mentioned with everything being this loud it can be messy or painful on normal volume settings.

Quote from the latest issue of Electronic Musician from Tim Palmer, “The current trend for overcompression doesn't do it for me,” says Palmer. “It makes things sound very, very loud, but also very undynamic and small. Lately, even the mastering engineers seem to be bored with the cheap thrill of overcompression! If you're mastering specifically for the radio, you obviously have to make sure your songs aren't going to dip compared to your competition. But a commercial CD for home use should have some depth. Lately every CD is prepared as though it's on the radio already. I want my CDs to sound more dynamic and have more variation in sound and level.”

Now that I've reduced my volume, ok this is very good stuff. Catchy. Very nice ending sections. The ethnic lead and synth textures work amazingly well. Great arrangement too. I enjoyed the original's ethnic flavor and what you did here works. One of the best mixes I've heard lately. Incredible.

YES