Non-producer (vocalist, specifically) involvement?

Lira

hey, all;

so I've been lurking OCR on and off for the better part of three years, but only for the past year (since, of all things, I finally got the guts to pursue music as a serious hobby after doing vocals for Xaleph on AnimeRemix last October) have I been working as an active vocalist/songwriter in various capacities. I'm featured on a handful of upcoming professional trance tracks to be released in 2010.

Thing is, I'm semi-at a loss as to how to get more involved here, and make myself available for collaborations. There's a lot of incredible talent in the community and as a long-time fan, I'd be happy to help & contribute where possible or where needed. But I'm not a producer, so I can't very well start posting feedback threads. And posting in every thread going "if you need a vocalist, poke me! :D :D :D" would get old & obnoxious quickly.

So, er, help? How does one go about this? :P

Thanks!

People sometime post about needing a vocalist for a song in Community or Workshop. Keeping an eye out for those kinds of threads is good. Updating your music skills in our Workshop database and listing them in your forum sig are both good too, I saw you've done both of those. I guess another important thing is just getting your name (and voice) out there by posting in the forums or doing competitions. Establishing yourself as a regular will help producers keep you in mind for songs and trust that you won't flake on a project. One last thing: if you have any ideas for songs you'd like to remix, you could just start a Workshop thread about that, asking for a producer to collab with and hope someone wants to do the same song. Hope this helps and that you stick around!

If you have songwriting skill, you could write lyrics and melody for what you wanna do, then turn to someone else for the music. You could even do a rough arrangement yourself, then hand it over to your collab partner for him/her to refine and mix. Even without a set collab aprtner, you could post that in the feedback forum and request someone skilled come in and collab with you. You might get some constructive criticism on your voice too. In any case, even chords+metronome+voice can be enough to attract a remixer. :D

btw, I assume you have access to whatever you need to record, because you kind'a need it. ;)

• 2 months later...

thanks for all of the replies & sorry for my late one! academic mayhem caught me unawares but after I clear out all (or, er, most of) my obligations, I'll be racing back here-- professional projects were stacking up for a bit but since I'm in music for love, not money, I'd much rather get back to projects simply for fun!

Arcana, I'll definitely check out One Hour Compo sometime-- sounds interesting.

Rozovian, thanks for the suggestions-- I am a songwriter, but I'm looking to add vocals to instrumentals more than do arrangements of my own on my own, for now. and yes, I have my own recording setup-- it'd be hard to have completed songs without it! ;)

Nicole, thanks for the kind words-- I'm absolutely up for originals, not just remixes, so feel free to contact me at any time.