So I'm making a game, and need some music..

Newt

(mods- feel free to move this if this is in the incorrect spot.. or delete this portion of the message if it is in the correct spot.. or ignore it.. w/e)

I'm working with ~10 guys on a game, and we might be able to get far enough along to submit to the student section of IGF. I realize the notice is short, but completed tracks would be needed no later than the 10th. Our budget for this initiative is $0, though we could arrange something if/when we release.

The basic idea behind the game is a mashup of atari combat with super smash bros. If combat goes too far back for you, it's a top down arena shooter (alla robotron). Stylistically, we're open to all musical genres-- if it sounds good/catchy/manages to fit with the game, we'll take it. Submissions may be of any length, but I'd recommend a 2-3 minute loop.

I'll try to get the artists to upload some of their concepts somewhere. I can also try to get some fraps video of our gameplay.

Submissions will be judged on how awesome we feel they are, as well as originality (we don't really want something that can be identified as from any given game.. other than ours..)

Feedback will be given on short samples upon request, within reasonable time (no more than 1 day, possible follow-ups if the other guys on my team disagree/add to my points).

I'd love to be a part of this! I have some other projects on the go but I could most likely pull this off quite easily.

I'll be able to offer some rock/metal. Some FRAPS footage of the game would be great to give us an idea of what kind of feel to go for in the music...or at least, me.

I've subscribed to this thread so that I can start ASAP.

good news/bad news time:

bad news:

what you're working on, probably isn't what we're looking for

good news:

artists/designers got their heads out of the sand and figured out what they want

long version:

Actually, I do have something legitimate to contribute to the music

discussion. I would recommend that we go either in the Cowboy Bebop / Brass

Jazz direction or in the French Funk House direction (early Daft punk

stuff). The latter *is *actually do-able depending upon the selection of

interested musicians. The bonus is that it's a rhythmic, melodic and highly

repetitive electronic style that fits into the game. (the best illustration

of the exact kind of sound I'm talking about can be found by going to Ishkur's

guide http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/ which I mentioned earlier,

selecting the 'House' tab and picking 'French' under the 'Funk' category,

and selecting the 4th tab (alternatively you can go to on this youtube

).

I think either style could be really cool, and are different enough from

anything else that's going on right now.

There's a part II to this, which is that I think we should incorporate

player 'voices' into the music for the game. Each player would have an

instrument or rhythmic aspect associated with them, and so when that player

dies, their 'voice' dies with it. When the player respawns, the 'voice' is

reintroduced, preceded by a fill. We'd have to work closely with the

musician to incorporate something like this into the game but I think it

could make it *really* interesting, and would make for a more interesting

project for whatever musician gets involved.

Let me know if anything I said was unclear.

Short Version:

we want us either some crazy brass jazz, or some solid uns uns. we'd also like for this to be split into four instruments/partial tracks and possibly a backtrack for audible indication for the players alive.

i understand any frustration this may cause any of you, and apologize. hopefully, at least one of you lot is crazy enough to stick with it :3

bad news:

what you're working on, probably isn't what we're looking for

Umm.... do you mean everyone who sent stuff to you, or who are you talking to? I'm confused by your sentence structure.

we'd also like for this to be split into four instruments/partial tracks and possibly a backtrack for audible indication for the players alive.

I'm confused by this too. Is it like in Mystical Ninja 64 where dungeon music start out very minimal and basic and slowly start bringing in other instruments and parts as you progress? I just wonder what an example for this might be too.

Umm.... do you mean everyone who sent stuff to you, or who are you talking to? I'm confused by your sentence structure.

I'm confused by this too. Is it like in Mystical Ninja 64 where dungeon music start out very minimal and basic and slowly start bringing in other instruments and parts as you progress? I just wonder what an example for this might be too.

On the first part.. moreover just a comment that we've found an idea that we hope to pursue that's rather unique.

On the second part:

I haven't seen/heard mystical ninja 64, so I can't comment directly. Basically, what we're thinking is having a light backtrack that starts on the title screen.

Essentially, each player would have some 'voice' tied to them. Voice, defined here, as a track that's placed on top of the back track. Once the game started, and all players are in the field, their voices would also start playing. When a player dies, their voice will leave during the re-spawn interim. When a player runs out of lives, their voice will not come back.

In essence, the game would start and end with a relatively simple underlying track. The idea being that the more players there are, the more intense the action/music will be. As players start dying, the conflicts will also decrease, but as the music begins to die down- the players would have aural cues indicating that they need to keep playing well or chance not winning.

The difficulty, of course, is that the composer would need to ensure that any combination of voices + back-track sounds good.

I'm not sure if i articulated that very well, but i hope i at least got the base idea across.