Electric Violin Cable And Effect Pedals

Around three weeks ago, a friend of mines gave me his electric violin due to the fact it was sitting in his closet for about 3+ years unused and he thought it'll be better if I would to keep it. Anyways, not going to tell a story about how I got it because I wanna get to the point.

I have a Yamaha "Silent" Electric Violin with an AUX cable outlet. AUX cables are more common for MP3 devices to plug up into your car store system (I assume the AUX input on my violin is similar to those for car stereos) and they are usually thin, short and long. I am personally looking for an AUX cable that is thick, long, durable, portable, and sturdy.

The term "aux" output doesn't say anything about what type of cable you need or can use. It just means that you can use that port for either input or output, as the case may be.

The aux input on your car stereo is probably a 1/8" stereo connection (a.k.a. stereo mini-jack) like you'd use on an mp3 player. I'm not sure, but I'd think that your violin would use a mono connection like most instrument connectors. If that is the case, then any guitar/instrument cable will do. Since most of those are 1/4" mono, to connect to the violin you'd need a male 1/8" mono to female 1/4" mono adapter. If the connection is a stereo mini-jack, then you can use a male 1/8" stereo to female 1/4" mono adapter. Of course using a mono instrument cable (a.k.a. a TS cable) gives you a mono signal. If the signal from the violin is actually stereo then instead of a mono instrument cable you could use a stereo 1/4" (a.k.a. a 1/4" TRS) cable with the appropriate adapters.

The term "aux" output doesn't say anything about what type of cable you need or can use. It just means that you can use that port for either input or output, as the case may be.

The aux input on your car stereo is probably a 1/8" stereo connection (a.k.a. stereo mini-jack) like you'd use on an mp3 player. I'm not sure, but I'd think that your violin would use a mono connection like most instrument connectors. If that is the case, then any guitar/instrument cable will do. Since most of those are 1/4" mono, to connect to the violin you'd need a male 1/8" mono to female 1/4" mono adapter. If the connection is a stereo mini-jack, then you can use a male 1/8" stereo to female 1/4" mono adapter. Of course using a mono instrument cable (a.k.a. a TS cable) gives you a mono signal. If the signal from the violin is actually stereo then instead of a mono instrument cable you could use a stereo 1/4" (a.k.a. a 1/4" TRS) cable with the appropriate adapters.

Ha. Thanks for clearing that up for me! Now I don't have to steal my friend AUX cable I mean, I know what cable I need now! And to think, I just needed an mono connection cable and a regular guitar cable.

Now for the truly juicy part, effect pedals! I am looking for some really kick-your-fuckin'-ass effect pedals. What are some good effect pedals that will get the listeners scared, hyped, and pumped up and that good shit.

And this is going to be a retarded question from a retard - Could guitar effect pedals work on an electric violin?

Could guitar effect pedals work on an electric violin?
effects pedals can work on any sound source. Just note that some effects have stereo output. So although you can feed your standard mono guitar cable into the input, you would need a stereo (TRS) cable coming from the pedal output to take full advantage of those effects.