OCR01143 - F-Zero "Silent Progression"

djpretzel

Nicely played. There are some spots that arent as smooth but overall the piece was played fairly well. There are a couple times when it rushes, but piano pieces are much better performed than sequenced. The arrangement itself is nice, but the same chords are repeated a little too much sometimes. Also, sometimes the chords are leading the piece, as in the melody is not very strong, and doesnt flow well enough. There needs to be a sense of phrases in the melody, where this is more chord based. But, I can see how you'd rather have it more chord based, if that is the feeling you'd rather portray, which comes as a laid back easy listening piece thats kind of relaxing. I however would rather have a flowing melody in phrases, instead of just chords and patterns that fit them. What makes a song stick in people's heads is usually the melody, rarely is it something such as the chord progressions. Overall, this is a smooth, jazzy piece that is good for relaxing to but I think could've had a more developed melody. I'm sure that others will think differently, it is a matter of opinion and depends on what type of style the remixer wanted.

~Blue

5/5! Hells yeah! This inspired me to fire up ZSNES and race through the Knight Class once for old time's sake.

Since it wasn't composed as much as performed, I'll have to keep my comments to a certain subset of the usual... I like the way the style moves from one to the next. That reminds me a lot of a certain solo piano track on the Cowboy Bebop live soundtrack that I like. Very well executed... mmm...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

oo nice nice! i doing a remix of this song but it got currupted so i gave up on that but I loved it... I love the change in contrast at 1:18. I wish i had my file back....

This song really needs the bass line at 1:18

Actually you hear it later at 2:06, a little sloppy but that's okay 'cause its a piano piece

• 3 months later...

Silence was always one of my favorite tracks from video game history, and this piano arrangement does great justice to the original, a song that was absolutely dying to be remixed by someone.

My only real criticism of this song (which is one of my favorites on the site, by the way) is the "mood" of the song seems a bit off in some areas, detracting from the overall effect of the work as a whole. The main part I noticed was the change at 1:16 with the relative hammering of the lower notes compared to the smooth playing at the beginning. Also, the rapid-fire note progressions that dominate the middle of the song don't work for me somehow.

I'm not sure how to take the song--as the slow piece that the beginning suggests, or the faster one the middle turns into. Ultimately, the end of the song leads me to think that it is more the slower and peaceful song than the not-quite-loud-but-not-peaceful song it seems to be pushing towards.

Still, this remains a nice work. The fact it was recorded live adds that much more to it.

Good work.

-Dust

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
i love the mix and performance stylings...

...but is that talking in hear in the background of the right channel from 2:25 to 2:30???

Or maybe a loose snare nearby???

if i remember correctly, that sound is my sister doing the dishes a couple rooms over. oh well.

I think you've paid some serious tribute to one of the sweetest songs on the F-zero soundtrack.

:-P

• 1 year later...

I had some difficulty discerning the beat in the first few moments, but on subsequent listens I caught on a lot better. I loved the live recording, even the small bit of hiss and background noise added to the relaxed atmosphere. I don't really recognize the source, but then again, the only tracks I really remember from Fzero were big blue and um.. ok, just big blue. I'd love to hear this played live, preferably while sipping espresso and chatting with artistic hunnies. Ahhh, life is good. 8-)

• 2 weeks later...

It is only recently that I discovered how amazing the F-Zero soundtrack really is. I overlooked it because it didn't seem like a game that would produce such an incredible and dynamic set of melodies, but I think this mix just proves that I was so so so stupid to do so.

I, like a few other reviewers, got a massive The Sims vibe. That's not the mixer's fault, mind you, solo piano pieces were around long before Will Wright unleashed his god complex on us all. Nor is it a bad thing by any margin. If there is one way to showcase both musical talent and melodic expression simultaneously, its with a Sims-style solo piano piece.

In any matter, I'm just glad the game mixing community isn't as asinine and naive as I was and actually recognized the perfect music of F-Zero. 'Silent Progression [Remastered]' is an excellent way to show it off, as well. Good job.

When I think of F-ZERO music, just about the last instrument I think of is the piano - or rather, so it used to be. With so many ReMixes devoted to a Mute City or Big Blue rock and/or metal and/or techno theme and style (not bashing any of those styles or songs), this is a really refreshing piece. First, the source - Silence, which I believe is the fourth course in the Knight League - and second, the fact that JigginJohnT did it solo piano.

I only have a couple of thoughts for improvement. First, I get the impression of dragging at about 0:26 - I'd like that to be picked up just a little bit. Secondly, there's a couple of overpowering chords where it's tough to hear the melody. And finally, JigginJohn hasn't come out with Sand Ocean, White Land or Port Town yet.

I fully enjoy this song. It's been on my list of tracks I listen to while I play video games for a few months (since I found it), which is quite the honour. So, many thanks for the excellent song, and...get to work on the others! Please?

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01143 - F-Zero "Silent Progression"