Torchlight

BardicKnowledge

When Flagship Studios was still trying to sell Hellgate London a year or so ago, to test the netcode for it they had a small team make a game. That game was Mythos, the game Flagship should have made in the first place.

The team that made Mythos (which was an excellent game in its own right) lost the IP rights when Flagship broke apart. They moved on and created Torchlight instead, which is absolutely incredible. It's got the free movement and UI of basically Diablo 2, but with the simple appeal and quest design more similar to Diablo 1. They've also made some really unique improvements that streamline the "quest, town, quest" process, such as sending your pet to town to sell items for you while you keep fighting (losing the HUGE advantage of having your dog/cat around for a minute or two).

Both DarkeSword and I have it thus far, and I love it one day in -- I'm playing an Arcane-focused Alchemist and having a blast. The only downside is that there isn't any multiplayer...but for $20, you certainly get what you pay for.

• 1 month later...

This game is hella fun. Just bought it last night, and it really is like Diablo 2.5. Seems balanced with enough changes and additions to the D2 model to keep fresh. I'm playing as a summoner Alchemist - between my pet, 3 imps, summon skeleton and summon flame sword II spell, I'm tearing it up.

What is REALLY amazing though is how well the game runs. My laptop (which is what I'm playing Torchlight on) can BARELY play Heroes of Newerth at the lowest possible settings, and a lower resolution. Keep in mind HoN doesn't look that much better. Torchlight, on the other hand, not only runs perfectly, but at the HIGHEST settings!

hm, played it for 2 days i think, and while the diablo like item craze kept me going for a while, i found it too generic to keep me interested in the long run.

the really interesting part imo is the editor software that's included. apparently it's the very same stuff the makers used to produce the game, but it looks very amateur-friendly. Looks like the studio aims to get fresh content from the fanbase, and i hope someone picks it up and makes a kickass mod/total conversion. maybe something a bit more immersive even.

It's certainly catchy. They use some good graphical tricks to make it look incredible, while using low under-the-hood costs. Try pausing with Enter sometime, you'll see how simple everything actually is.

I'm personally finding the scenery to be the thing that keeps me going. There's a nice amount of variety between different dungeons, and the fact that you can open up and explore side-dungeons (from quests or maps) also gives enough added challenges to keep it fresh longer.

I was skeptical since this game was practically Diablo, and watching my friends LAN partying on Diablo 2 was extremely boring. It looked like point click watch. Wow.

Then I played the demo, and snagged it almost immediately for $10 when it was on sale. I wonder why Torchlight is fun and Diablo doesn't (look like fun).

BTW, I'm an Alchemist gunner with necromancy. Awesomest combination I've ever seen.