OCR01926 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "Down to the Hydrocity's Nightclub"

djpretzel

This is actually crazy good...not too sure what the judges were talking about with filling out the soundscape - this kind of chart needs to breathe. (although the 'bones could be louder...)

Anyway, this is definitely one of the better "real ensemble" arrangements I've heard on OC. The licks are tight, the guitar playing is solid, and even though most of it is sequenced, it still feels like it jams - especially around 2:45 and 3:12.

I can definitely see the rhythm section looking over at the players and slightly nodding their heads in time with the solos...:nicework:

The drums rocked the back-beat a bit often, but I can overlook that due to the style you were going for.

Unfortunately, being a brass player, the samples are almost a deal breaker - you really need to ask around for players in the future. The level of arrangement deserves it.

This is an awesome debut.

I'm pleasantly surprised that Dr. Manhattan decided to sub this track here - I heard it back when it won DoD for that month, and it kicks ass.

So one thing that kind of amazes me is that this was kept to 4.7 MB with the 160 kbps CBR compression. This is a really nice funk approach to this song - brass samples could use some upgrading, but this is clearly quality stuff regardless, something I cannot say about the majority of the really old stuff.

Love the bass, it keeps the track together throughout. Plenty of other awesome stuff going on. The track is never serious, and yet has a great production throughout, even in the 'noodly' sections.

The change of styles throughout is another great point going for this. Just when you get settled into one feel, *bam* there's a change-up. You're on your toes throughout he mix, in a good way.

I'm gonna agree with OA here, the brass isn't great, but it works for what it is, and I honestly didn't find it detracting at all from the overall mix.

Nice work.

I too thought house had the last word on this one. I was wrong. Not to take away from the grateness that is Walk On Water, of course.

I also, stupidly, made that comparison on first listen. For the first half, the melody, while divided between sax and horns (and subdued keyboard - a very cool division of responsibilities), is nearly verbatim the source (akin to house's already somewhat jazzy take), but then I realized that there's a ton on the side. The background guitar and bass are exquisite (especially the guitar use in the intro, which was sexy as all hell), the lead guitar chimes in here and there, and then there's the call-and-response-ish exchange between sax and horns. All this gives the first half its own distinct and funky personality. And then it's the sax, guitar, and ooooh funk keyboard's time to shine. That's what it's about right there... with an incredible arrangement to boot (love that wailing sax!). Add in some classy distortion on the guitars with some nifty lead work and we're taken home.

Congrats on getting posted on ocr, Dr Manhattan, with a most kickass debut. Always good to hear true talent from DoD make its way over here. Now, just upgrade those brass soundfonts!

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, the brass samples didn't bother me - they're not the best but the writing for the instruments was so groovin' that I didn't even notice. The drumming, guitar, and organ really brought a lot of life to the song and give it the feel of a live performance, even though the samples aren't quite up to snuff.

Not quite as amazing as the Project Chaos rendition of the song, but it's damn close :-) Dr.Manhattan's work always astounds me on DoD, nice to see that he's coming around OCR finally :-D

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01926 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "Down to the Hydrocity's Nightclub"