Thorns and Lava (Donkey Kong Country 2)

Da2dbm

I've always loved these two songs. This is my attempt at remixing them. Of course this is nowhere near done. I'm still learning FL Studio, go easy on me... Feedback is always appreciated!

12/25

I've messed with many of the suggestions you guys have offered. I feel that this version may be the last in terms of arrangement (I'll still tweak levels and mixer effects if need be).

Thank you very much for following my remix progress. I think this may be ready to send for submission.

Stickerbrush Symphony Source:

Hot-Head Bop Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KR3hE0_6Nk

Update 1: Bramble Remix 11/3.mp3

Update 2: Thorns and Lava 11/7.mp3

Update 3: Thorns and Lava 11/19.mp3

Update 4: Thorns and Lava 12/14.mp3

Update 5: Thorns and Lava 12/20.mp3

Final?: Thorns and Lava 12/23.mp3

I think this is the first time that I've heard anyone make this remix quite like this. It's interesting and different from other mixes but I like where it's going,but...there are a couples points.

I think that the into is interesting but there is not enough variation or rather distinguishable notes above the ominous sounding bass. I like the bass, I just think that the melody below it needs something more. I really like the final 1/3 of the track, that is where the strength lies and I think you should expand that section both forward and backward but play around with an add some variation if you do.

I'm not sure why but I inclined to call this mix slow in terms of speed although it isn't really, it just appears to be so. I think that this is something to play with, maybe a slight slowdown at the end and return to the deep bass you had at the beginning at the same time.

I don't know if this is actually helpful. I don't know much about the process of remixing myself, I just like music.

Good luck and I hope to see this mix progress

I'm not alert enough for a full review at this time, but I want to point out one thing that I noticed before I totally crash:

Christ almighty, those drumrolls scared me, they're so loud! :-P My biggest problem with them, though, is that even if they were turned down, nothing is happening with the rest of the song to warrant their inclusion. Usually, I would use a drumroll as a transition to an expanded, likely more energetic section of the song, but for the most part it feels like they're thrown in somewhat-arbitrarily here.

I do like the first half of the song pretty well with the sparse but powerful drumbeats. That worked out well :-)

Looking forward to seeing this improved, you picked some nice source tunes and I think you could go places with this!

Hot head bop is prolly my favorite DKC2 song. :tomatoface:

First off, I love the drum sounds you've got working in this.

Some places, it seems like the snare may be too loud. Consider quieting a few of the 16th notes to closer to ghost notes status. Same with the snare drum fill, some dynamics and really popping that last note might help it.

I also sort of feel like a lot of the instruments are in the same range. maybe move some things up or down an octave and see if you like it better there.

The bass on the hot head bop feels kinda weak to me. But I'm sure that's because I want that low there for my own selfish purposes :-P

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Droning bass synth is very thin at the beginning. I'd experiment with effects and see if you can get a richer sound (chorus, flange, perhaps even a delay; you probably won't want all of these, but experiment with them individually)

I love the other synths.

The transition into hothead bop feels awkward. Doesn't feel like there's a logical flow between the two tracks. The bass in this section sounds like it has a little too much edge, a little too much grit, and I can't hear the actual pitch well enough.

yeah I have no clue what to do with that transition...I'll mess around with it a bit.

The bass and drum levels have been fixed for the next version... don't know if i should go with the "underwater" effect that i used in a previous version or just keep a normal effect.

Love the feedback! Thanks for listening! Any more feedback just let me know, I wanna make you guys happy haha

Hmmmm.. this could be just me, but I'm not sure if the Hot-Head Bop and Stickerbrush Symphony themes are totally meshing in the first half. Maybe consider possibly bringing the Stickerbrushiness out more, because you do have the Hot-Head Bop totally covered in the second half.

Speaking of, I'm loving the second half. The bass sounds really bubbly; totally reminiscent of all those lava levels. But I'm not particularly crazy about the ending, it seems a bit too... sudden. Maybe a slightly slower fade? or back into a quiet section? Maybe.

Criticism aside, I really like the feel of this piece; good job so far :nicework:

I've messed with many of the suggestions you guys have offered. I feel that this version may be the last in terms of arrangement (I'll still tweak levels and mixer effects if need be).

Thank you very much for following my remix progress. I think this may be ready to send for submission.

Final?: Thorns and Lava 12/23

Not final.

AT ALL.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but there's a major thing lacking from this mix, and that's the low end.

There's almost nothing from the low end. :P Even that bassline is snuggled up there with the rest of everything. Use. More. Bass. xD

In your kick drum and in your bass synth/thing.