OCR01149 - Mega Man X "Dreams Come True"

djpretzel

5/5, 10/10, 100/100. Much ass was indeed kicked in the production of this song! If I tried to order an industrial-size can of Whup-Ass right now, I bet the warehouse would be out of stock.

...I don't know what to say; this is quintessential "good."

If I burn a CD of OCR mixes to take on a road trip with me, sometimes my friends raise an eyebrow if they see it sitting around afterwards, or, more likely, if I leave it playing in the car. If I ever made a "hah, take /that/ bitch, /this/ is a remix of /video game/ music too!" CD, this would probably be track #1.

On listening to it for the second time, checking the lyrics while doing so, my eyes actually welled up from tears of joy. ;) Technical niggles (such as that the drums are not quite of the same caliber as the singing, for example, not to say that they are poor) really don't matter. You have created a piece of music that I simply adore and am HIGHLY jealous of.

I may not Know much about Musical Structure and all that, But I know what I like. Good to see an oft-overlooked piece of great Capcom music given the once over. Quite outstanding, actually! Here's hoping for more, perhaps even one done of the song that happens just before (The Epilogue Theme, I believe).

Capcom: Not just Repetitive techno for platforming Robots...

With slightly better quality samples, there's no reason this couldn't dominate airtime on actual pop radio stations. Such a goddamn sweet song with a happy melody and far beyond decent singing. Count me floored. And the message is so damn poignant too, PRIMA needs to die a fiery death.

I've heard "singing robot" and this is a step up from that. Whereas singing robot seemed almost too cutesy, this song flows nicely.

Speaking of camparisons, I thought the sound of the vocals were much more appropriate here than in the singing robot. I can actually hear some of the emotion come through. I did have problems with 1 section vocal-wise (0:55-0:57 and when it repeats later in the song). When "one more time" is sung there, the lower voice has a "spoken" quality which would be great by itself but the melodic harmony clashes with it...I think the bottom voice needed to be more melodic in that section to go with the harmony or else cut out the harmony there. An example of when the harmony really works is at 3:24 (tones more apparent in each voice and very smooth).

All the synth stuff is niiiiiiice. The solo at 2:04 is a synth solo which is a *good* thing (given the notes that are chosen, it works better as a synth than guitar, because it produces a futuristic feel that fits and allows some of the fast notes to have a consistent attack which would be difficult with a picked guitar solo given the note choices). What really saves the song for me is the synthy almost counterpoint stuff that goes on throughout the lyrics.

Just another extra shred of proof that Star is the best remixer in the business. It's too bad you can't hear his other works on this site, cause I think his original compositional skill supercedes that of his remixed works. Oh wait, www.starblast.org (shameless plug). Anyhoo, when The Fabulous Life of Star Salzman airs on VH1 in a few years after he rewrites the music industry, look out for MaGi_TekK, aka, Av, to be giving the infamous best friend interview, ala "Yeah I knew Star when he was a young lad, drawing musical notes in the sandbox, etc etc." Good job as usual star, now release your flashman remix and really blow everyone away.

Ohhhh I think I'm in love!

This remix just works. Everything fits together perfectly. This makes me so happy. I mean, wow. I'm inchoerent this is so awesome.

Star is easily one of my favorite remixers on this website, and songs like this are fucking why. I loved Tickle My Wily, it had a kind of power behind it, but this takes the fucking cake right here. I really don't have the skill to analyse this on a huge in depth technical level, but from an asthetic point of view, this is easily professional grade. Easily. You can really just feel the song in the section preceeding 3:30 and after it. The synth that was chosen just fits in perfectly, and really helps to carry a lot of the emotion of the song along with the wonderful voice work. The voice and the synth really compliment each other.

I don't know about you guys, I get a vision of X and Zero going through it together. It sounds really cheesy, but they are players one and two when you really get down to it.

This shit's making me all nostalgic and misty eyed. I bow to you, sir.

Oh, man. What a great mix. This song is genius. I still think Brainsick Metal is the reigning king of OC MegaMan X mixes, but this is great. For those who don't know, this mix makes fun of all those who possess that mysterious inability to beat a MegaMan X game. I used to be one. When I was about 7, I would play MegaMan X on my brother in law's top of the line Super Nintendo as much as I could. I probably heard the password screen music more than any other song in the game. I'm 18 now, and I've beaten MegaMan X about 14 times. No, it doesn't take long. I've sharpened the process to where I can do it in 1 and 1/2 hours. Without EVER dying. I've also beat 2, 3, and 4. I love these games. But enough about my skillz. Star Salzman really shines here. While I personally don't like this song as much as 'Robot' it is, as I said, a hilarious song. Get it now, if you haven't already.

i was pushing star to finish this even when it was back in a fledgling state. i really enjoy how star is one of very few people who are trying to break the boundaries between game music and pop music. very inspired, very good work.

oh, and he showed me the submission email awhile back. i laughed for an hour or more. djp ought to post it :)

Wow.....I mean... wow.... *drools*! This is one AWESOME remix, lyrics are SOOOOO COOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!! I LOVE EVERYTHING FROM THE FIRST TO THE LAST MEASURE!!! Wow.... This really should be on the radio:)!!! One of the best remixes on the site!!!

Perfect score: 10/10! Not one thing to criticise! So coooooooool!!! *Speechless*

You sure have alot to say for someone who's speechless.

Anyways, love the mix. This is like, the 20th or so time since i got home from school i've heard it. Very, very nicely done. The whole 9.99 thing made me laugh. Alot. Keep up the unrivaled work.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01149 - Mega Man X "Dreams Come True"