OCR01149 - Mega Man X "Dreams Come True"

djpretzel

Amazing! You managed to take everything I hate about todays music industry, and combine it into one song!

I don't know if I should even bother going into the pros and cons.

Production is TOP NOTCH. Honestly, the quality is all there. It's just the notes played, the instruments used, the lyrics, the singing voice, the overall mood of the song, pretty much every but the production is complete trash.

But I gotta hand it to you. This sounds professional. This is the kind of shit I'd change the channel over on MTV, pure shit, done very very professionally. And I don't even hear the original theme very well, so to me, this doesn't even seem like much of a remix, more of like, a new piece of shit song for the wannabes uptown to drool over.

Overall, I really dig the drums, and overall production, but everything else is just a horrid reminder of why I don't listen to modern music.

Amazing! You managed to take everything I hate about todays music industry, and combine it into one song!

Production is TOP NOTCH. Honestly, the quality is all there. It's just the notes played, the instruments used, the lyrics, the singing voice, the overall mood of the song, pretty much every but the production is complete trash.

But I gotta hand it to you. This sounds professional. This is the kind of shit I'd change the channel over on MTV, pure shit, done very very professionally. And I don't even hear the original theme very well, so to me, this doesn't even seem like much of a remix, more of like, a new piece of shit song for the wannabes uptown to drool over.

Overall, I really dig the drums, and overall production, but everything else is just a horrid reminder of why I don't listen to modern music.

Genre preferences can really add spice to reviews!!

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you think the song is awesome (professional) but you just don't like the genre it represents. I wouldn't be surprised if starblast takes your review as a compliment.....genre preferences aside, is there anything you notice which isn't up to snuff with "professional" so as to provide some helpful feedback, or do you truly think it's of highest quality pop?

*stupid strategy guides... when the answer wasn-T insiiide*

Curse you, starblast! I've not been able to get this song out of my head. It's just too catchy... like pop at its best, it's simply infectiously enjoyable and unpretentious. Reminds me a bit of that Robo's Theme remix from Chrono Trigger, which I keep forgetting the name of, only with more familiar subject-matter and less clever synth.

Genre preferences can really add spice to reviews!!

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you think the song is awesome (professional) but you just don't like the genre it represents. I wouldn't be surprised if starblast takes your review as a compliment.....genre preferences aside, is there anything you notice which isn't up to snuff with "professional" so as to provide some helpful feedback, or do you truly think it's of highest quality pop?

I DO take it as a compliment, and I also agree. I freaking hate modern music, and if I didnt make it (or i guess, if it wasnt about video games, if it was about love or something stupid and pretentious) I'd hate it too. But I made it and its about videogames, so i like it alright :D

Then again, I think it's silly to discount a whole genre of music (well, besides country of course, go ahead and discount it) because even in pop there are some gems that are actually pretty nice. Keep an open mind, you might be suprised at what you find.

My review wasnt meant to be insulting or anything, I'm glad you take it as a compliment.

Like I said, I'm impressed by the quality of the song. I just didn't enjoy the song much because of my personal hatred towards the genre itself.

It kinda reminds me of that song by The Polyphonic Spree, and there is nothing in the world I hate more right now, than them and that song.

The only reason I've listened to it again is those drums, I'm still very impressed level of depth and dynamics that went into that section.

I thought it was a neat composition. The lyrics were, as said before, cheesy and pretty dorky, but again, that's part of the appeal. The music gives some sort of early-mid '90s Third Eye Blind type of feel, which isn't a bad thing. Your voice, on the other hand, reminds me of the 80s band Extreme, which, again, is a good thing.

I like this song. However, I gotta say my favorite part was when the old Capcom logo sound effect played. Oooohhh yeah. There's some memories.

Yeap. The problem with labelling "modern music" as bad is that you then have some decent stuff by guys like Five For Fighting and Train that isn't too much like pop and isn't trying too much to be like the good old rock of the Beatles. Instead, you get something entirely decent, nice, and listenable. That's why I like alternative, even though, like Snapple, I dislike most other music made in the past 10 years, or at least made by groups/artists that started up in the past 10 years (some good old bands have stuck to it and still managed to deliver some classics in recent years).

So, diss pop all you want, but don't shun modern music as a whole. :wink:

Five For Fighting and Train suck, it's that kind of mediocre crap that's lowering the standard for all music. I've kept an open mind since I was 11 years old. Over the years I've been able to listen to almost every kind of music out there and narrow down what I really like. And most of what I like just happens to be from the 70's and early 90's, and it also happens to be nothing but forms of metal.

By modern, I mean modern genres. Things like thrash metal are still alive and very much great today(with awesome bands like Megadeth, Exodus, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Testament still making creative and well written albums). Every other genre has evolved into shit over the years. The bands I mentioned above are the ONLY ones whos modern records I listen to.

This really saddens me though, because the production quality of today is so much better than that of the 70's and 80's. It's just that the music being produced is crap.

I don't know if I'm being stupid or not, maybe this has been asked previously, I love the song but I'm still learning english, specially when others talk. SO I can't really understand the lyrics, can anyone post them or something? Thanks a lot in advance.

hmm... I REALLY enjoyed the music of this song, but I can't say I loved the lyrics. I liked Singing Robot because it provided an insight to the character with its lyrics, but with this one, its more like Salzman trying to say his views over gamer techniques under the disguise of an X song. So, I must say, I would really enjoyed it if had...anything to do with X at all. That's just my opinion. LOVED the music of it tho. PS, Please don't believe I hate this song.

To be completely honest, I thought the song was a bit embarassing. It took around an hour to download it, and I don't regret taking the time to check it out; its a good song, it's your basic pop diva song, but the fact that it was sung by a man kinda freaked me out. I thought the voice sounded a bit like the Incredible Singing Robot, possibly because it was the same person. (Though it sounded less robot-y on this song)

It's pretty well put together, maybe a tad repetitive.

I give it a 8/10 :lol:

I have written 2 Reviews for this Remix. 1, the review you are about to read, is a very politely toned-down version of what I feel about "Dreams Come True", by Star Salzman. If you absolutely MUST see what I really thought of this song, in my other review, you may request to see it through PM ONLY. And you must be 18 to do so. In no way do I mean any ill feelings towards Star Salzman, nor DJPretzel, or anyone affiliated in the creation of this remix. But I do not feel it was worthy of submission.

The lyrics, and the vocals, are terrible. Simply amateurish, poorly performed, and just hard to listen to. And what's worse, they almost completely overshadow the MUSIC. The music playing in the background was, from what I could gather, bordering on superb. But you can barely hear it over the man singing in the most feminine way possible.

I simply did not enjoy this. And I feel, having listened to it, that a very good Video Game song has been tainted forever. I'm sorry. Because I know Star has a HUGE amount of talent, but none of it can be heard here. This is one of the least satisfying remixes I've ever heard.

I don't think there's anything more to say.

I'm in the "Enjoyed the music, not the lyrics/singing" camp. I was so happy to see that someone had remixed this particular piece of music, but I was immediately bummed to see that it had lyrics. Listening to it, I tried to see what it was that most people saw in the lyrics, and I guess I kind of learned to appreciate it's purpose and all, but I realized that this wasn't something that I wanted to have in my playlist for repeat listenings.

A no-lyrics version would be pretty cool, because like others have said, the remix itself sounds orgasmically awesome, but the singing just seems to cloud the music.

(First off don't hash me out because this is my first post here ^^)

I have been a great fan of OCREMIX for quite some time. I have listened to nearly every remix here; this one holds a very special place in my heart. The Remixing part was done quite spledidly - though at some parts it's kinda hard to figure out exactly what song is being remixed here >_> The lyrics are 1/2 & 1/2 blow me away. It's not as centered towards Megaman X as it is towards Video Gaming in general. I thought that they were creative and deserved some positive feedback.

I believe that some people may not like this remix because they are focusing more on the Remix itsself, and not on the multiple feelings & memories behind the words and the sounds. Not only are some of us hardcore MegaMan fans, but ultimate 1337 pwnz0r Video Game fans. This remix brings out a lot of old memories (I'll be player one and you be player two), which may bias somebody's opinion on tis song. They also may not like it because so many other people do. (Think positive, people! ^^) Some people may also like it because of how others think of it. It happens.

The lyrics are three-fourths my favorite part of this song. I'm glad that ReMixers are adding words to their songs. I'm glad that the lyrics were all Video Game related... just that they also kinda shoulda been Mega Man related, too :/ They bring out lots of good feelings. Star has a great voice, and puts it to great use; sounds very, very professional. Should be on the radio stations everywhere :P

Overall? I give it a 9.3/10 Great, awesome job Star. Another fantastic piece.

The lyrics, and the vocals, are terrible. Simply amateurish, poorly performed, and just hard to listen to. And what's worse, they almost completely overshadow the MUSIC. The music playing in the background was, from what I could gather, bordering on superb. But you can barely hear it over the man singing in the most feminine way possible.

Bwahahaha

What does amateurish mean, exactly? Also, I take it as a compliment that you say I sing like a woman. Women sing pretty-ish!

Bwahahaha

What does amateurish mean, exactly? Also, I take it as a compliment that you say I sing like a woman. Women sing pretty-ish!

Hmm, I love how Phantosanucca has such harsh criticisms towards Star's work, when let's see, in the 2 years I've downloaded every single remix on OCR, I've never seen him post any works. Before you go off on a rampage why don't you try remixing something yourself, perhaps then we can all see the true definition of amateur.

I'm sorry, but I just won't accept this as a song. My opinion doesn't really matter though since I don't like this genre of music. Also, by genre, I mean GAY. HAHAHA, I'm just kidding. 10/10 for creativity, but I just don't enjoy it. Again, though I don't like the genre. So, why am I even posting this message. Whatever, I gotta go.

I like this very much, thank you! I always liked the ending song, but for Star to add lyrics to this made it cool! I particularly liked the lyrics because it represented to me what a hardcore MM player goes through while trying to beat the games. Star, I love you for this!

Hmm, I love how Phantosanucca has such harsh criticisms towards Star's work, when let's see, in the 2 years I've downloaded every single remix on OCR, I've never seen him post any works. Before you go off on a rampage why don't you try remixing something yourself, perhaps then we can all see the true definition of amateur.

I disagree with that viewpoint. While you probably would find a person's first remix to be the very definition of amateur, that doesn't necessarily mean that person's review is unqualified. If you listen to enough, and experience a wide enough variety of a kind of music, you eventually become qualified enough to review that type. Most music/movie critics aren't directors or musicians themselves, or at least are very unlikely to have ever had critical success themselves. Does that mean their viewpoint is to be discarded since they don't do it themselves?

Fallacy. Personally I've only remixed things I wouldn't show anyone. Hell I'd kill to keep them from ever being heard, they're THAT BAD. But I've got pretty much every song from this site (um, I swear to God I intend to donate reallllll soon DJP!) and a shit-ton of wips, and remixes from other sites, etc, and I consider my own opinion at the very least informed, if not refined to the level of the talented remixing reviewers.

Just my two cents on why his opinion may be different from your's it shouldn't be discarded simply because he doesn't have anything on the site. That sort of argument is begging for comeuppance should someone you throw it at actually have credentials you aren't aware of. Instead, simply say "I disagree with what you said", which translates into internet-speak to mean "I don't know how you can say something so stupid with that much man-cock in your mouth."

I disagree with that viewpoint. While you probably would find a person's first remix to be the very definition of amateur, that doesn't necessarily mean that person's review is unqualified. If you listen to enough, and experience a wide enough variety of a kind of music, you eventually become qualified enough to review that type. Most music/movie critics aren't directors or musicians themselves, or at least are very unlikely to have ever had critical success themselves. Does that mean their viewpoint is to be discarded since they don't do it themselves?

Fallacy. Personally I've only remixed things I wouldn't show anyone. Hell I'd kill to keep them from ever being heard, they're THAT BAD. But I've got pretty much every song from this site (um, I swear to God I intend to donate reallllll soon DJP!) and a shit-ton of wips, and remixes from other sites, etc, and I consider my own opinion at the very least informed, if not refined to the level of the talented remixing reviewers.

Just my two cents on why his opinion may be different from your's it shouldn't be discarded simply because he doesn't have anything on the site. That sort of argument is begging for comeuppance should someone you throw it at actually have credentials you aren't aware of. Instead, simply say "I disagree with what you said", which translates into internet-speak to mean "I don't know how you can say something so stupid with that much man-cock in your mouth."

Yeah I understand what you're saying, but in this specific case, it wasn't just that he was giving the song an unfavorable review. He went way beyond that and was using expletives and debased imagery so as to try and destroy any semblance of worthiness within the remix. That's not a remix review, that's just remix bashing, and it's uncalled for, especially when the song is this good. That's why I'm saying he has no right to say the kind of stuff he did without having the balls to try and remix anything himself.

Personally, I think there's something to be said for someone who has the cojones - not to mention intelligence and creativity and whatnot - to write lyrics -and- sing them. I know I probably wouldn't do it. I had no problem with the sound quality or balance myself, but you can just take that as a sign of my untrained ear. Not only that, but Protricity's playing is a definite seal of approval, or at least that's what I take it as.

It's different, yes, and not everyone's going to like it. For what it's worth, though, I *thoroughly* enjoyed it. Credits to Mr. Salzman for his placement of the title-screen SE; that was a nice touch (even though someone else has mentioned it already).

Thanks for the ReMix! One of these days, I'll get one of mine up on OCR... maybe. ^_^;;

Well, I think the song is great and I personally feel like people calling the singing girlish or otherwise bad have some issues with singing in songs at ALL, outside of some choirs in their favorite orchestral arrangments. That or they only like guttural growls and screams. And while their opinion is just as valid as mine, I find it to be bullshit. I don't recall ever hearing singing in a song that in itself annoyed me, unless it was a goofy voice MEANT to annoy me. It's like calling an instrument irritating. "Boy I really like the song, but why'd they have to use that sitar? Blugh, it sounds gay." *rubs temples*

Well, I think the song is great and I personally feel like people calling the singing girlish or otherwise bad have some issues with singing in songs at ALL, outside of some choirs in their favorite orchestral arrangments. That or they only like guttural growls and screams. And while their opinion is just as valid as mine, I find it to be bullshit. I don't recall ever hearing singing in a song that in itself annoyed me, unless it was a goofy voice MEANT to annoy me. It's like calling an instrument irritating. "Boy I really like the song, but why'd they have to use that sitar? Blugh, it sounds gay." *rubs temples*

I dunno, complaints about instruments seem pretty legitimate to me. I mean, isn't that what most WIP Remix criticisms are about? "Hmmm, you've got a great rhythm going, but the drums that you're using sound kind of cheap and odd, how about going for a deeper drum sample?" A voice is an instrument, so it's open to the same criticisms that you can make to any other kind of instrument.

Along these lines, having issues with songs that have voice shouldn't seem that outrageous. Some people place more importance on the basic parts of a song. Personally, I feel that lyrics can somewhat limit my listening enjoyment because I usually like to kind of play around with the song in my head while I listen to it (such as adding another beat, or perhaps even humming my own really really random lyrics). Since the lyrics are already there, it's hard to listen to this song the way I usually do.

Yeah I understand what you're saying, but in this specific case, it wasn't just that he was giving the song an unfavorable review. He went way beyond that and was using expletives and debased imagery so as to try and destroy any semblance of worthiness within the remix. That's not a remix review, that's just remix bashing, and it's uncalled for, especially when the song is this good. That's why I'm saying he has no right to say the kind of stuff he did without having the balls to try and remix anything himself.

Quite true! I found his review to be quite negatively toned, almost inappropriately so. Hence, my last suggestion:

Instead, simply say "I disagree with what you said", which translates into internet-speak to mean "I don't know how you can say something so stupid with that much man-cock in your mouth."

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01149 - Mega Man X "Dreams Come True"