Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time movie trailer!

Weirdboyscott

I figured this was on topic for community since it's video game related, but feel free to knock it into Off Topic if you feel like it, mods.

How awesome is this, huh? I was never a huge fan of Pirates of the Carribean, but I know that the combination of Disney and Bruckheimer really means quality. Jake Gyllenhaal wouldn't have been my first choice for this role, but he looks like he pulled it off nicely enough in the trailer, especially with that accent considering he was born in California.

How awesome does this look, huh?

Ugh.

Will we have a screenplay that ISN'T based off some book/story/game ever again?

Nope. Not when Hollywood is desperate to make a buck that they'll go to what's probably considered the bottom of the bucket (at least that's how I feel they think of it).

I don't recall there being that much of an "in depth" storyline to Prince of Persia, but I'll probably see this, it looks good to me.

It's those books that are the problem. They've been infecting the movie industry since day one with all that hubbub about literary heritage. And the movies based off of plays? Terrible, terrible things.

What we need are more movies based off of theme-park rides.

Okay, so they have a love plot that looks decent, the Prince displaying agility, and it looks like they aren't catering to the fanbase too heavily/lightly.

Considering Prince of Persia isn't a child of "movie plot regurgitation" that has resulted in 80% of our VG franchises (Castlevania, Metroid, Donkey Kong - I can go on, and you know I can go on), AND considering we have a real actor, director, and company all at the same time, we MIGHT have a video game movie that doesn't suck. One that could potentially turn into the next trilogy a la PotC.

Fingers crossed, everyone.

You know, I REALLY hate getting my hopes up for movies based on video games, but this one looks pretty alright. I know, I know, it probably won't, and I really do expect it to suck...but what's this?

http://kotaku.com/5397474/test-audiences-love-prince-of-persia-movie

Hmm...first good video game movie adaption? Or maybe its good as a film on itself but not a good translation of the game. I guess we'll have to see, yeah?

It was stupid then, too.

Well, what are they going to do, put the entire movie in Farsi with subtitles? Because other than that, the closest to "authentic" would be British English, as that was the form traditionally learned in that region of the world.

You're not supposed to believe they're actually all English speakers in the context of the film, but I think it's better than having the Prince declare he just owned dat Vizier's sucka ass, son.

if they have to, don't use any accents.

that is preferable to standard hollywood-everyone-foreign-is-british shit

Have you seen this video before? (Amy Walker, if you're wary of clicking strange Youtube links.)

Old, yes, but it makes a good point: there is ALWAYS an accent. There is no "plain" English, so going with the most likely thing (yes, we got our fill of it in Pirates of the Caribbean, but it's still the best choice we have) is the safest choice. Anything else would sound considerably stranger, even "no accent" from the Midwest U.S.

Have you seen this video before? (Amy Walker, if you're wary of clicking strange Youtube links.)

It's funny; to me, the only accent that she DIDN'T nail was the Toronto one. It sounded like a cross between English-as-a-second-language Francophone (which I'm familiar with) and the who-made-up-that-horrible-Canadian-stereotype-accent-anyway accent (which I've only heard in TV/movies, mostly from Canadian characters (not actors), but sometimes characters from states close to the border). You know what I'm talking about.

But I wonder if everyone thinks she does their own city's/country's accent horribly.

if they have to, don't use any accents.

Yeeaaaahh no such thing, unless everyone in the world agrees that Amy's Seattle accent is "no accent". Personally I'd rather have characters with British (or Iranian) accents than the "generic no accent" accent. Unless you mean to say that each actor use their own native accent, but that would just be awkward.

It's funny; to me, the only accent that she DIDN'T nail was the Toronto one. It sounded like a cross between English-as-a-second-language Francophone (which I'm familiar with) and the who-made-up-that-horrible-Canadian-stereotype-accent-anyway accent (which I've only heard in TV/movies, mostly from Canadian characters (not actors), but sometimes characters from states close to the border). You know what I'm talking about.

But I wonder if everyone thinks she does their own city's/country's accent horribly.

I still thought it was fairly impressive even if she butchered a few

I mean most people (that I've asked) can barely imitate one or two other accents accurately at all

Of course she's got talent and it was super impressive. But maybe she didn't do a lot of research for a couple of them. Or maybe some people in Ontario use an accent that I've never heard before. I don't even live in Ontario, so that's not a farfetched a possibility.

So how about that movie? =]

I don't know why, but the Prince's name in the movie, "Dastan", sounds eerily familiar. Yet in the game (as far as I know) they made a point of not giving him a name, and I can't think of anywhere I might have heard the name before.

Bah, I probably just read the name in an old article about the Sands of Time movie.

Yet in the game (as far as I know) they made a point of not giving him a name, and I can't think of anywhere I might have heard the name before.

I really liked this

I can understand not wanting to deal with it for telling the story, but it's a nice tradition from the old games.

dang, I really want to play the first two again now. damned good games, those