Dragon Age: Origins

Arcana

okay you can either go on a tedious rescue mission and earn the ire of morrigan for helping some useless drunk OR you can kill the old drunk and earn the ire of alistair for being an asshole

either way somebody is going to get pissed at you

HEY BIOWARE THANKS FOR TAKING OUT THE BIPOLAR ALIGNMENT SYSTEM FROM PAST GAMES AND REPLACING IT WITH AN ESSENTIALLY IDENTICAL BULLSHIT JUDGEMENTAL SYSTEM

that's the last straw I quit this game forever

Damn, this game is choking my graphics card. 7800GTX runs it fine on lowest settings, but I want to crank the hell out of this. Hopefully I can upgrade to the Radeon 4850 soon...

Runs smooth as silk on mine~

Also, Bleck, not everyone will like you. Pretty sure this also applies for real life. Get over it and just play the game.

Also, Bleck, not everyone will like you.

pretty sure the reason I'm angry is not because people will dislike me but rather because it's been six years sicne KOTOR came out and I'm STILL choosing between SAVE THE KITTENS or THROW THEM INTO ACID

if the game were like REAL LIFE as you say I could probably you know not stop at the village and instead just go to the god damn castle where I wanted to go in the first god damn place

pretty sure the reason I'm angry is not because people will dislike me but rather because it's been six years sicne KOTOR came out and I'm STILL choosing between SAVE THE KITTENS or THROW THEM INTO ACID

Oh come on. This is BioWare we're talking about. There HAS to be an "I only did it for the reward" cop-out.

I mean, er, option.

I must give Bioware major kudos for their work on the voice acting. There's just so bloody much of it, and for once it doesn't feel like they had to compromise on the writing just for the sake of having everything voiced, unlike Bethesda's super-condensed efforts with the same VAs recycled over and over. I guess this is what most of the game's 20gb was spent on.

I have a question, mechanics wise:

I currently have two archers, a mage, and an idiot (Alistair). Every time one of my archers acquires a target, he thinks he should run and close the distance immediately...and then get pummeled by the three or four new enemies he triggers that I wasn't ready for.

Is there a way to make him wait, forcing the pinned down foe to run to us, instead of the other way around? It'd work much, MUCH better if this is easily doable. Note: I have 3 "gambit" slots, and don't care what needs to go in them as long as he stays put.

I have a question, mechanics wise:

I currently have two archers, a mage, and an idiot (Alistair). Every time one of my archers acquires a target, he thinks he should run and close the distance immediately...and then get pummeled by the three or four new enemies he triggers that I wasn't ready for.

Is there a way to make him wait, forcing the pinned down foe to run to us, instead of the other way around? It'd work much, MUCH better if this is easily doable. Note: I have 3 "gambit" slots, and don't care what needs to go in them as long as he stays put.

I'm pretty sure there's a "Hold Position" option or similar on the radial menu (whatever it is in the PC version). It's actually an in-game loading screen tip on how to "set up ambushes".

Also, where the hell do you get the bisexual elf? D:

Doesn't the 'hold position' command only work for the entire team? I haven't gotten it to work for single characters.

For the bisexual elf (I assume, he's the only elf I know of), he's only available after a cutscene which comes after some major plot event, for me it was finishing Redcliffe.

i.e. after the "meeting"? Because I've saved the Arl already.. ah well, guess I'll wait and see.

Of course, no RPG is complete without an infinite exp glitch somewhere. Before the battle at Ostagar, do the joining quest by collecting the blood but don't get the treaties yet. Then go back to Duncan and say you just have the blood. The quest won't be completed but you'll still get exp, and you can just repeat the conversation over and over.

I guess this will be fixed in the next patch. Until then, it's probably not all that harmful considering enemies scale with your level. Just a fun thing to do if you want to get more high level abilities.

If you have a mostly-ranged group, there's a Tactics option to set the character to use "ranged".

They won't actively run OUT of melee range, but they'll stay at range when possible.

I rerolled in the game as a mage because I'm starting to think that the mage is the most fun in this game. One thing I did was actually buy the backpack from the Quartermaster in Ostagar (missed it the first time).

But then I went to Denerim and did the "Deserted House" quest where you can open a door and reveal a room of 4 melee characters, 5 archers, and 3 blood mages. And you do this for like 7 to 8 rooms. The house is HUGE.

It took me maybe 3 hours to clear it out - I did a LOT of saving and reloading. 8O I wish that I had more tactics slots as well as more intelligent AI - this game would have been REALLY fun if a few human players could control the other characters I think.

Also, where the hell do you get the bisexual elf? D:

She's not an elf, she's a human rogue. You find her in Lotharin if you go into the tavern and talk around. She's got red hair and is kind of cute. Sten is in the same town. Just talk to everybody, I guess. That's what I did.

Now that I know Morrigan doesn't want any of my female charms, I'm half-tempted to start over and get busy with Leliana instead. :?