Dragon Age: Origins

Arcana

You can get mods here:

http://www.dragonagenexus.com/

Gonna take a while before everyone gets accustomed to the toolset. For now you can find some good stuff like camp storage chests, respec potions, and new armor sets. After wading through the hundreds of inevitable nudity mods, that is.

I read that BioWare are petitioning Sony to enable mod support for the PS3 version. We'll see how that goes, if it hasn't been shot down already.

I think you all missed it after bleck's tirade, but I'll ask again.

I found this game got hard close to the end (when you hit about Levels 14+). It took me many tries to get down High Dragon and I had to save and reload the fight against the General in the Elven Alienage many times - to the point where I actually loaded an old save to replace my party. I was playing on normal, and my PC was a warrior tank. It didn't help that Loghain is also a warrior tank either.

I have a theory - mages in this game are extremely powerful and if you're playing this game without a DPS mage in your party it's easy to get stomped. Confirm/deny or am I just bad?

I think you all missed it after bleck's tirade, but I'll ask again.

I found this game got hard close to the end (when you hit about Levels 14+). It took me many tries to get down High Dragon and I had to save and reload the fight against the General in the Elven Alienage many times - to the point where I actually loaded an old save to replace my party. I was playing on normal, and my PC was a warrior tank. It didn't help that Loghain is also a warrior tank either.

I have a theory - mages in this game are extremely powerful and if you're playing this game without a DPS mage in your party it's easy to get stomped. Confirm/deny or am I just bad?

Deny. My previous runthrough (on hard difficulty) had Shale tanking, PC as DPS rogue and Wynne+ Morrigan as Spirit Healer for healing and crowd control and I never got into any trouble even without abusing Cone of Cold. The Spells from the Waking Nightmare, Crushing Prison, Mana Clash and Death Hex lines are all amazingly helpful. Not to mention that a properly spec'd dualwielding Rogue will be doing insane damage with backstabs.

i used morrigan as a horridly overpowered mage throughout most of the game and found that having a dps mage helps a lot. the game's difficult if you don't use tactics, which is kind of the point of pretty much everything. using petrify/stonefist, grease/fireball, vulnerability hex/life siphon, etc on your mage help out a lot, along with actually using knockdowns properly instead of just spamming them everywhere.

Deny. My previous runthrough (on hard difficulty) had Shale tanking, PC as DPS rogue and Wynne+ Morrigan as Spirit Healer for healing and crowd control and I never got into any trouble even without abusing Cone of Cold. The Spells from the Waking Nightmare, Crushing Prison, Mana Clash and Death Hex lines are all amazingly helpful. Not to mention that a properly spec'd dualwielding Rogue will be doing insane damage with backstabs.

But you still had two mages. My assertion is that mages are overpowered.

I started trying to do the Alienage General using Leliana, PC as Warrior tank, Wynne as healer, and Secret Dude. The problem is that I had no CC and no AOE especially since you can't keep Morrigan if you decline to help her.

I eventually switched my party to PC tank, secret dude, Sten, and Wynne and eventually fared better. The swap out of Leliana to Sten was a pretty phenomenal improvement but it caused lots of trouble on magic guys. Maybe I wasn't specced properly, since I didn't have either Crushing Prison or Spirit Shield; also it didn't help that secret dude is also sword and shield specced.

• 3 months later...
I just finished it, it was a pretty satisfying journey. I don't know if I'll replay it many times (since I've lost a lot of sleep with the game, and also because when you start getting to some of the end battles where it's like 15 vs 4 it's annoying keeping your men up) but it was definitely a fun first time through. My finish time is something like 65 hours.

Indeed. I don't know how many times I had to revive my rogue after she went off trying to tank 5-6 baddies while everyone else was concentrating on the boss.

Other than that, I am currently replaying the game as a dps/debuff spirit healer/arcane warrior. Throw an affliction hex on a group, curse of mortality on a high ranking mob, and go to town.

i played it through. around 12-13 hours of content. i didn't finish all the missions.

i found it interesting the way that they handled the end of the previous game and the 'import' of characters to this one. it basically means you can't use any of the cool new gear in Origins, which is about what i expected.

the storyline was VERY interesting near the end. didn't make the most sense through most of the game, but there was some great plot twists that made it very worthwhile.

voice acting was OK on some characters and really bad on others. about what i expected.