Windows Xp sp3 on macbook pro

captaineegee

The title explains it all, I recently tried to install a full retail copy of xp sp3 on my macbook pro, running leopard 10.5.8. I go to the boot camp utility partition my drive (15 gigs), put in the xp sp3 disk and let it do its thing. It runs through the initial setup and then informs me that I must restart. It restarts I hold down the option button to select the windows partition, press enter..........and nothing. Screen flashes black and then either has a flashing cursor in the top left hand corner or tells me to insert the disk and press any key to continue. At this point nothing happens. I have referenced the boot camp nomenclature from apple and it does not address this issue. I would also like to point out that the information states that it requires service pack 2 (or later) to work properly. Also, perusing through the apple site, there is a new boot camp update (2.1) that is required for sp3. However, this is an .exe for windows and not a .dmg for apple. I have taken it to the "genius bar" to now avail. Tucson has a specialty store that deals exclusively with apple and I picked their brains and they couldn't figure it out either. So I ask you wise and knowledge bearing people of OCR, please help...

I forgot to mention that I have done that as well. I've tried using fat32 and ntfs. When I installed it with via ntfs upon reboot and then the option start into the windows partition it tells me I am missing a .dll file required. Any suggestions?

Hrm...no idea on that. I've installed bootcamp on a couple machines and I haven't experienced anything of that nature. I admit, though, that the WinXp disc I have comes with SP2. I'm not sure if that makes a difference for the install on bootcamp.