OCR01151 - Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind "Battle at the Red Mountain"

djpretzel

I'm a Huge Morrowind fan. Ive played the game on and off since it came out and own both expansions. But, I honestly could not tell this song was from morrowind until the theme it was based off of came in slightly at 1:09 and agian at 1:56 and a bit afterwards. I don't mind the remix but it just doesn't feel like Morrowind to me. Seems like it's from a completely different game. Still a nice song though.

This rules!! I love the violins in it, the rythm is just awesome, the tune changing at the first minute is really nice ^^

Just one of the best symphonic mixes I've heard so far.

Emperor, You rule, Dude !!

EDIT : The flute tune in the end also is great !

Emperor has to be one of the most liberal and creative mixers I've heard since Michael Dover (Israfel), which is at once both refreshing and a liiiiittle bit frustrating. ^_^ I adore this mix, which takes wild license with the main Morrowind theme and turns out something you definitely can't accuse of being a MIDI rip. While Emperor's tendency to roam far afield from a source tune is quite evident here, I really appreciate the breadth of originality in this mix. I'd caution those who expect any kind of faithfulness to the instantly recognizable Morrowind theme to keep an open mind, though--as Dekkon said, you probably won't be able to tell this is Morrowind till snippets of the original theme surface about a minute in.

Emperor has given the tune a sprightly, martial flair, with Eastern European ethnic sounds and conventions that we rarely (if ever?) hear around here--think "Morrowind does Moscow." :D (Or should that be "Moscow does Morrowind?" Anyway.) While this mix didn't kindle up any Morrowind nostalgia for me, I found it highly enjoyable in its own right. Fantastic work, Emperor, and congratulations on the first of what I suspect will be many published OCRemixes. :)

Emperor has to be one of the most liberal and creative mixers I've heard since Michael Dover (Israfel)

ironic, perhaps?

hehe :P Although, in my defense, I would contend that my mixes are firmly grounded on the thematic material of the original piece- and often they owe more to the original (and are perhaps less liberal) than most people realize. I'm reminded of Gwilym's review of my Castlevania mix:

so what turned me off? at the time, it seemed to fit perfectly into the description of original music, with elements of VGmusic so that it may be posted here. [...] on the second listen i was able to realise that almost every note was taken from the original NES song. there's hardly a moment in this track where what you hear is an 100% original composition; it's all variations on a theme.

But yeah...I'll shut up now.

It sounds like less of a mix of the main theme and more like a mix of "MW battle3". It's still good either way. It reminds me like what it would sound like if Morrowind were a Japanese-style turn based RPG. I dunno why. But anyway, listen to it a couple of times and you'll hear more similarities between it and the theme it borrows from.

Emperor, I'm glad to see this mix got on OCR :). Well, you told me, but still, I just need to post. I may be gone from the forums, but I'll still post when a friend of mine puts up a good remix :).

While I know nothing about the original, the orchestration in this mix is excellent. As others have said, the sample quality could be better, but it's still very pretty :).

Well, since I'm not supposed to be on the forums, I'll wrap it up now (like I even started a rant :P)... Great job on making this remix, congratulations on making an OC ReMix :), and I hope that you PM, IM, or email me with anything new you're working on :).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Very stirring piece; I'm not familiar with the original, but this is good stuff for sure. Somehow you managed to take the best qualities of my favorite Russian composers and input them into the song; nice work. The harmonies were really nice, especially in the quieter middle section. Percussion was well written and very supportive of the mix overall. Some of the samples were a little weak, mainly the brass near the beginning, but it wasn't offensive.

Recommended. :-)

• 2 years later...

Now I know why I don't really fear Russia... their music makes me overlook their imposing nature. :D

Good use of samples and such, the percussion definitely got me bouncing. I do have to agree the brass samples don't quite measure up to the rest, but they don't play a huge part, so I'm not complaining. :razz: Overall, good job.

• 1 year later...

Samples are whatever, but the arrangement is bold, fresh and sharp. Lots of variation, lots of nice classical nods and some really impressive control over how those samples (as vintage as they are) are utilised.

While more liberty is taken with the source material than an average mix, I really can't hear a problem in discerning the Morrowind theme from within this. It hardly makes mere cameos; it's interwoven in a way that informs every section of the arrangement. It's constantly there, even when you're not hearing it. And on top of that, the melody is played in full several times. It's a Morrowind mix through and through.

If you're able to rise above the bogus orchestra vibe, this is one of the better renditions of the Morrowind theme. If you're like me and listened to the theme hundreds of times over and over while playing the game while never growing tired of it, it will be extremely easy to appreciate the new variations put into this mix. Very solid.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01151 - Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind "Battle at the Red Mountain"