Should there be a 'music industry'?

gwilendiel

Dark and José, you are right...

I think the real REAL problem is I believe I am clear when I'm about as transparent as mud.... then I wonder why ppl are yelling at me for saying things I never really wanted to say in the first place... then I get combative but it's my own fault. >.<

Anyway... I think this should be locked.. and I apologize again... seriously.

Hey, you got a discussion going. If nothing else, that's what the boards are for. I'll admit that it probably wasn't the discussion you originally wanted, but there have been some pretty good points made, over all.

Dark and José, you are right...

I think the real REAL problem is I believe I am clear when I'm about as transparent as mud.... then I wonder why ppl are yelling at me for saying things I never really wanted to say in the first place... then I get combative but it's my own fault. >.<

Don't sweat it. Being able to admit there was a misunderstanding probably puts you above over 95% of the internet.

To a large extent, you were complaining about how some of the large companies conduct business, and your frustration is understandable. You just have to understand that when you start questioning how people should and shouldn't be able to make money off of music, a lot of small independent artists (which includes many of the people on OCR) are going to be worried about the implications. (And if they seemed a little too quick to jump down your throat, you'll have to cut them some slack; these forums have seen a number of people far more abrasive than you, trying to argue things like 'music piracy never hurts anyone', and far less willing to listen to counter-arguments.)

True. However, sometimes it isn't even the estate or family making money off the music, and it doesn't seem fair. The problem is, if you don't let anyone make money off of an artist's music when they're dead, that limits the potential rights of the artist themselves when they're alive. I have the right to license my own songs and recordings; but if I don't want to mess with that, I also have the right to sell those rights to someone else for a quick buck, and let them try their luck at publicizing and distributing my stuff, and it isn't necessarily fair to them if I die tomorrow and those rights vaporize.

This is where a lot of the problem with fighting the 'big evil companies' lies - you can't pick and choose whose rights you protect. Either music is copyrightable, ownable, and licensable, or it isn't. Much of the problem lies with artist education - you have to know enough not to sign a deal that will rip you off in the long run, and that requires a lot of research as well as a certain amount of caution and common sense.

Good points, and worth mentioning...

And honestly you have taught me something.

Though also it's funny - it's like people assumed they were the only musicians here EXCEPT for me... I've wondered about these things myself since I've considered SELLING music. Imagine that!

Anyway.

Good points, and worth mentioning...

And honestly you have taught me something.

Though also it's funny - it's like people assumed they were the only musicians here EXCEPT for me... I've wondered about these things myself since I've considered SELLING music. Imagine that!

Anyway.

They only yelled at you because a certain someone took your meaning the wrong way, and everyone decided to agree with him rather than go back and read the thread.

Don't take offense to it; YOU know what you said, and if people misinterpret you it's not YOUR fault. If they get mad, just leave and wait for everything to cool down.

They only yelled at you because a certain someone took your meaning the wrong way, and everyone decided to agree with him rather than go back and read the thread.

Don't take offense to it; YOU know what you said, and if people misinterpret you it's not YOUR fault. If they get mad, just leave and wait for everything to cool down.

okay you know what fuck it

i dont care WHOSE brother you are

stop fucking white knighting

you latched onto one VERY SMALL aspect of the entire argument and ignored EVERY SINGLE OTHER POINT and white knighted your way into absurdity.

see you in a month

Heh I was just reading back and seeing posts I missed...

I totally can see why I looked so bad now... >.<

I wasn't ignoring people, I just honestly didn't see some posts. I can be an incredibly fast reader when I'm passionate about something and I'm really not used to using forums very often where the content keeps changing all the time. :?

Anyway... sorry to post again, just felt the need to say that...

okay you know what fuck it

i dont care WHOSE brother you are

stop fucking white knighting

you latched onto one VERY SMALL aspect of the entire argument and ignored EVERY SINGLE OTHER POINT and white knighted your way into absurdity.

see you in a month

I'm not doing anything. Leave me alone.

White knighting isn't cool.

Neblix is probably just DS doing the other half of his good cop / bad cop routine. It doesn't fool me bro

I AM NOT WHITE KNIGHTING. I am TALKING to Gwilendiel. GET OVER IT. >:/

Just because I am not cursing off the original poster of the thread doesn't mean I'm white knighting. Seriously; back off.

I'm not doing anything. Leave me alone.

Yes you are. You're latching onto one single (and particularly irrelevant) part of the debate and thrusting it forward over and over and over and over and over again. And you started doing it after you found out it was a girl.

That's called whiteknighting. And you're being completely obvious about it. So knock it off.

Yes you are. You're latching onto one single (and particularly irrelevant) part of the debate and thrusting it forward over and over and over and over and over again. And you started doing it after you found out it was a girl.

Oh quit it. >:/

I said it over and over simply because you insisted on putting words in someone's mouth, regardless of if they are male or female. I loathe females, that would be more reason for me to NOT take their side.

Just because I am not cursing off the original poster and disagreeing with you doesn't mean I'm white knighting. If you never even showed up, this thread wouldn't be a debate about the behavior of the people here, it would be a debate about what it was supposed to be about. Whether selling music is a GOOD THING OR NOT.

CAN WE DROP THIS NOW?

i dont know. maybe if what you said was at all relevant to the topic at hand my opinion might have changed, otherwise you're still, at least for this topic, grossly misinformed at best.

Oh well. It wasn't true anyway... (the trolling part)

I doubt I could be that cunning... >.<