OCR01933 - Super Metroid "Berinstar"

djpretzel

Excellent opener and pad leads so far. This is alot more calm than most of 8-bit Instrumental's stuff. It kind of reminds me of the GooGoo Dolls for some odd reason. Other than the neat drum/shaker variation in the middle this is pretty much just a relaxing mix of one of my favorite songs in the soundtrack. Nothing too far out, nothing too mellow either. Just right for someone who needs a relaxing song to chill to after a long day at work.

8/10

Excellent opener and pad leads so far. This is alot more calm than most of 8-bit Instrumental's stuff. It kind of reminds me of the GooGoo Dolls for some odd reason. Other than the neat drum/shaker variation in the middle this is pretty much just a relaxing mix of one of my favorite songs in the soundtrack. Nothing too far out, nothing too mellow either. Just right for someone who needs a relaxing song to chill to after a long day at work.

8/10

I'm not hearing the Goo Goo Dolls. The guitar riffs around 1:10-1:30 can follow from some songs like Lazy Eye or Only One, around their power-pop mid-90s sound era, but the rest is a very bass-driven, slow-paced atmospheric piece more in tune with spaghetti western than GGD. (/end GGD fanboy mode)

It delivers what it promises, and sounds nice. Not my favorite Brinstar mix though, a bit too limited in scope.

Reminds me of Luis Bacalov's Summertime Killer off the Kill Bill 2 OST. This mix feels like it could fit in that soundtrack/movie.

It's got a nice live sound to it that I've come to love from you guys, but I've gotta say that it feels strange hearing a song that moves so slowly be so short... It feels like there's a lot of room to expand here that didn't really get covered, like this song is just a very small segment of a larger version.

That's not to say that what's here is not enjoyable, because it definitely is... I just feel like it's missing a lot.

I like very much the chill vibe that's going throughout the mix. Even the faster movement in the middle can't shake that feeling, great job on that. The textures are quite nice as well. DJP said it right that the contrasts really bring this together, along with the live playing.

My favorite section is right around 1:30 or so. That is where I feel like the style really comes out just right. Nice work on this.

I like this a lot; it's mellow and very distinct. I can almost see this happening at a spontaneous jam session, someone starts plucking a few notes and the rest just follows.

This has a quiet minimalist aspect, which, aurally, makes this interesting to listen to; it really highlights the instruments and arrangement.

• 1 year later...

This track is definitely a good groove and has a good sound. That being said, please don't take this as criticism, but unless "Brinstar" changed a lot between Metroid and Super Metroid.. this doesn't sound like "Brinstar" at all to me. In fact, guys, listen to it right now and tell me it doesn't sound like Bloody Tears from Simon's Quest. I got a few seconds into the track and thought, "Wow, this sounds like Castevania" and now I can't NOT hear Bloody Tears when I listen to this. Strange, no?

• 5 months later...

Oh, brinstar theme changed very much between Metroid and Super Metroid. All the songs (or at least most) got completely new tunes that still represented the style of the environment. And I actually prefer the super metroid tunes. The old ones are good, but when I think Norfair, I think Norfair - Ancient Ruins, and when I think Brinstar, the dicotomy of upper and lower come to mind. Very catchy stuff.

I for one was very startled by this source tune when I first heard it. I was like "wait, this is Metroid? It's so... light and fast paced." Then I explored that green area and decided that it gave a really good feel to Brinstar. Brinstar is not just all dangerous, eerie, and dark environments. You have harsh places like Norfair, dark places like Maridia, Lower Brinstar... But then you also have a lush, verdent, overgrown area. That being said, it's still a dangerous place. But again, what stood out to me was just how lush upper brinstar was (and it was a good break after struggling through the maze of Crateria the first time I played...)

8 Bit Instrumental really captured that vibe for me in this, so that was really cool. Lush rainforest from Brazill meets Brinstar's overgrowth area!

• 8 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01933 - Super Metroid "Berinstar"