OCR01154 - Linus Spacehead "Space Drifter"

djpretzel

SWEET LEAPING J-SUS!

this is fun times.

:) at first I was like... man this is gonna blow (sounded like a van halen rip off of 1984) ... and then BOOM! AMAZING

!!1 amazin' amazifying conventional writing into an astoundingly thrilling and transporting peice. The quality may not be the best, but it is excusable given the detail to transportation. SO freaking grooveable.

Damn I could hgo on and on about how much i like this without actually naming specific things.

I dont believe ive had this much fun listening to an OCR in a long time :)

Great funk you got going there Darke :) I've never heard of the original but I think this is really good and I really love your remixes! What I particularly enjoy here is the harmonization of the saxaphones when they play together, and the melody of the piece is kinda repetitive but it's generally very good. Great work you got here ^_^, I really enjoyed it.

Reminds me of an upbeat version of Space Lion (SB) from Cowboy Bebop (Jupiter Jazz) - which brought back some great memories for me heh. Thanks for the wonderful remix.

:!:

Yes! I was actually going for a Cowboy Bebop vibe, which was the main reason I used the saxophone.

That's right...the sax had a purpose.

Cowboy Bebop is the best Anime Ever (and some good shit)

This is one of the best mixes I have heard in awhile. There actually isn't alot I would change about it. It has a great tune and the entire thing just seem really intricate to me. There is a beautiful melody going on in the back ground that is every so subtle but damn..it hit my ears just right. I think this one has become one of my favorites...

Go directly to mp3 player, do not pass go, do not collect two hundred dollars.

Ha! I was JUST listening to a certain other mix by the same author...

...and in that light, I was wondering "wow, is this just the same I was just listening to?" It has the same sax riffs, the same thirds, even the same ambient, harmonic open fifth at the beginning. I'm a big fan of el DarkeSword-o, but this is lacking in originality.

Yeah. I mean, they even have the same snare drum riff, synth bass, Slayer VST guitar, oscillating TS404, filtered white noise, and choir patch!!

SO UNORIGINAL!!!

The only thing common is the sax sample. Look deeper. :roll:

I must say DarkeSword, you are definately one of my favorite remixers. More specifically though, this remix is one of my favorites: Number 2 at VGMix on my personal list IIRC. One thing that impresses me most is how you were able to take an interesting but badly executed original song and make it much much better then the original. Not only that, but you broke the repetition that plagues so many old school songs and kept it fresh and fun to listen to for over 4 minutes. That is very skillful and I look forward to your next remix.

I agree with fisherman. I've heard this soundscape before. The saxophone chords are nearly identical to those in Angel. The choir patch does exactly the same thing it did in Party in the Snowland.

I notice a few differences in accompanyment though. The bass isn't as low-key as it usually is in your mixes, and the drums are somewhat more lively. Still, to the casual listener, it's hard to differentiate this from some of your other styles.

So yes, it stands on it's own feet, but it has a formulaicness to it.

I agree with fisherman. I've heard this soundscape before. The saxophone chords are nearly identical to those in Angel. The choir patch does exactly the same thing it did in Party in the Snowland.

I notice a few differences in accompanyment though. The bass isn't as low-key as it usually is in your mixes, and the drums are somewhat more lively. Still, to the casual listener, it's hard to differentiate this from some of your other styles.

So yes, it stands on it's own feet, but it has a formulaicness to it.

A saxophone patch hardly counts as a 'soundscape.'

The textures between Angel, Party in the Snowland, and Space Drifter are unique among eachother. Look past the lead.

As much as I like trance it is always good to listen to remixes which are different than the usual techno/trance types with the usual instruments. I have never heard of the original song before but this is exceptional, definitely something which I can share with my friends who are not into gaming music. Keep up with the good work!

Now about the similarities of this song to the other piece from Sonic, I just listened to both and would say that for the most part (95%+) these two songs are completely different. IMO some people might think this way because the smooth sound of the saxphone?

• 4 weeks later...
can EMA (eat my ass).
What the heck, that makes about as much sense as "Eat my shorts" but is far more unsettling. Anyway, The flow of this song reminds me alot of his sonic remix. It's gotta a good groove to it, and the samples don't stike me as bad or unhumanly. Atlest not to where as i'd notice it right off. It's made it on my hard drive and i think it's here to stay. Something seems missing though, i'm not sure but that might be sleep deprivation talking or something. Yeah, probly that. Anyway nice job.

...I just listened to Angel and I'm sorry - what the hells wrong? Nothing. Just because their both jazzy doesn't mean they're the same song. I mean I hear the same guitar in most songs of most bands... just because an instruments the same doesn't mean that the song sounds the same.

I mean look at Techno, Country, Rap... their all using variants of an instrument widely used in the genre and mostly ALL the songs sound similar - yet that doesn't mean they are the same song - or really that much alike.

...I just listened to Angel and I'm sorry - what the hells wrong? Nothing. Just because their both jazzy doesn't mean they're the same song. I mean I hear the same guitar in most songs of most bands... just because an instruments the same doesn't mean that the song sounds the same.

I mean look at Techno, Country, Rap... their all using variants of an instrument widely used in the genre and mostly ALL the songs sound similar - yet that doesn't mean they are the same song - or really that much alike.

Thanks. ^_^

but what did you think of the song? :(

• 4 weeks later...
can EMA (eat my ass).
What the heck, that makes about as much sense as "Eat my shorts" but is far more unsettling.

Yeah, it's probably the equivelent of a "tossed salad" (even though this latter term makes even less sense).

Erm. :?

Anyway, I don't see why one saxaphone sample makes this sound the same as Angel. With that reasoning, I guess every rock or metal song sounds the same too, as they all use guitars. :roll:

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01154 - Linus Spacehead "Space Drifter"