Gauntlet Scherzo

Gorgonian14

NOTE: I'm unfamiliar with the source.

0:00 - 0:09 - The first thing that really sticks out to me, aside from the sample quality is the mechanical attack / release of notes

0:10 - 0:19 - The buildup is very... dead. The cymbal swell runs a bit harsh

0:19 - Has a very "I came straight from a PSX" sound.

0:45 - This has turned into a renaissance Marble Madness on LSD feel.

1:24 - Making an effective crescendo is about more than just making sounds quieter.

There is a great lack of intensity and realism to the sound. Taking on an orchestral-type remix is very ambitious, as it's more than just putting notes down. That may work for composing, but unless you have the facilities in which to record a real performance group, you're going to need to spend a lot of time humanizing your samples.

And while we're on that note, look into getting better samples.

EDIT: Keep it up. I look forward to hearing more from you in the future.

NOTE: I'm unfamiliar with the source.

0:00 - 0:09 - The first thing that really sticks out to me, aside from the sample quality is the mechanical attack / release of notes

0:10 - 0:19 - The buildup is very... dead. The cymbal swell runs a bit harsh

0:19 - Has a very "I came straight from a PSX" sound.

0:45 - This has turned into a renaissance Marble Madness on LSD feel.

1:24 - Making an effective crescendo is about more than just making sounds quieter.

There is a great lack of intensity and realism to the sound. Taking on an orchestral-type remix is very ambitious, as it's more than just putting notes down. That may work for composing, but unless you have the facilities in which to record a real performance group, you're going to need to spend a lot of time humanizing your samples.

And while we're on that note, look into getting better samples.

EDIT: Keep it up. I look forward to hearing more from you in the future.

Thanks for the feedback! I don't know what to make of some of your comments (especially the PSX one and the one that mentions crescendos are more than just making things quieter??) but I think I get you on the rest.

I do tend towards focusing on the arrangement instead of humanizing, so I can understand the comments about mechanical attacks. I'm puzzled by your comments about the sample quality, though. This was done with GPO, which I understand isn't the highest dollar sample library out there, but I think it is more than adequate. I guess GPO just rubs some people the wrong way.

I'm also puzzled by your comment about it lacking intensity in the sound? Is this related to it being mixed somewhat quietly? Can you be more specific about what sound you were hoping for and not getting here?

Incidentally, I loved the comment about Marble Madness on LSD. That is a very good way to put what I was actually shooting for!

Thanks again.

Thanks for the feedback! I don't know what to make of some of your comments (especially the PSX one and the one that mentions crescendos are more than just making things quieter??) but I think I get you on the rest.

PSX Comment: It just sounded very... Final Fantasy Tactics OST-ish there.

Crescendo: There is more to sound than just pitch, volume, and length. An effective orchestral crescendo also affects the timbre. If I hear the same exact sound simply getting louder, then it's plain and boring, and doesn't elicit any kind of emotional response, which you are ALWAYS going for with an orchestral piece.

This was done with GPO, which I understand isn't the highest dollar sample library out there, but I think it is more than adequate.

http://www.soundsonline.com/product.php?productid=EW-177

I don't expect you to use EWQLSO, but with GPO costing ~$200, I KNOW there's more you can do to get a more realistic sound.

I'm also puzzled by your comment about it lacking intensity in the sound? Is this related to it being mixed somewhat quietly? Can you be more specific about what sound you were hoping for and not getting here?

In general, the tonality of the song is a bit lackluster. See crescendo comment.

NOTE: I don't do any digital orchestration. I compose for a live performance ensemble.

PSX Comment: It just sounded very... Final Fantasy Tactics OST-ish there.

Crescendo: There is more to sound than just pitch, volume, and length. An effective orchestral crescendo also affects the timbre. If I hear the same exact sound simply getting louder, then it's plain and boring, and doesn't elicit any kind of emotional response, which you are ALWAYS going for with an orchestral piece.

http://www.soundsonline.com/product.php?productid=EW-177

I don't expect you to use EWQLSO, but with GPO costing ~$200, I KNOW there's more you can do to get a more realistic sound.

In general, the tonality of the song is a bit lackluster. See crescendo comment.

NOTE: I don't do any digital orchestration. I compose for a live performance ensemble.

I'm familiar with EWQLSO and have used it before (but I don't own it). GPO is great and you are right, I can do more with it. But that isn't a sample issue which is why I was puzzled.

I'm not sure what you mean by "tonality" in your final comment. It is clear you don't mean tonality (what key it is in), though. Maybe timbre? Just asking for clarification because I still don't know what you are trying to say there.

Thanks for the comments. From what I can gather most of your criticisms are on the lack of humanization, then? Does the arrangement itself (composition) appeal at all?