Audio interfaces that work in 64 bit Windows

Smenelian

M-Audio ProFire 2626 and M-Audio FastTrack Pro working fine under Win 7 64 bit (and XP 32 bit).

Under Win 7, try other non Win 7 drivers, e.g. Vista drivers. They seem to work well with my interfaces.

Really? No occasional BSODs or anything? I've been having really intermittent crashes - once a week, in some cases, and I just conclusively narrowed it down to the ProFire 610 beta drivers.

Really? No occasional BSODs or anything? I've been having really intermittent crashes - once a week, in some cases, and I just conclusively narrowed it down to the ProFire 610 beta drivers.
The only problems I've had have been related to trying to get 32 bit plugins to run correctly, but that's more of a 64 bit SONAR issue. My two M-Audio interfaces have worked problem-free. I'm using the Beta drivers on both now, but for the first few days I used the Vista 64 SP2 driver for the ProFire 2626 and it worked fine too.

Wonder what you're doing that's different than me? How did you trace the cause of the crashes to the interface drivers?

Also, the Win7 drivers for our interfaces are now out of Beta and have been officially released. Maybe the new ones will work better for you.

Lexicon Lambda worked just fine under Vista and Win7, both 32-bit and 64-bit flavors. One irritating thing about Win7 is that, even under the "Performance" power config, it still has selective USB suspension (or something to that effect) enabled. So my Lambda would randomly power off and I'd not be able to power it back on without a disconnect-and-reconnect. Once that's disabled, everything's golden. If you've been having similar issues, I'd suggest checking that out.

I'll get a report on how Win7 64-bit likes the PodXT drivers sometime this week, hopefully.

One irritating thing about Win7 is that, even under the "Performance" power config, it still has selective USB suspension (or something to that effect) enabled. So my Lambda would randomly power off and I'd not be able to power it back on without a disconnect-and-reconnect. Once that's disabled, everything's golden. If you've been having similar issues, I'd suggest checking that out.
OMG! If the same goes for firewire, maybe that's what has been happening with the ProFire 2626. If I leave the computer on for 30 mins or so without doing anything, the interface goes into a standby mode and I need to power on/power off to get it back. I thought it was just an annoying "feature" of the interface, but maybe it's this. I honestly don't remember whether or not it happened in XP.

The only problems I've had have been related to trying to get 32 bit plugins to run correctly, but that's more of a 64 bit SONAR issue. My two M-Audio interfaces have worked problem-free. I'm using the Beta drivers on both now, but for the first few days I used the Vista 64 SP2 driver for the ProFire 2626 and it worked fine too.

Wonder what you're doing that's different than me? How did you trace the cause of the crashes to the interface drivers?

Also, the Win7 drivers for our interfaces are now out of Beta and have been officially released. Maybe the new ones will work better for you.

Heh... well, it's still 2.05, but it might be a newer build. Out of curiosity, how much RAM do you have?

I traced the BSOD cause by actually downloading the damn Windows debugging tool and debugging symbols and seeing that the root cause was a driver issue stemming from the audiodg.exe process. Also, some guy in the M-audio forums is having the same problem, with the same config, and had the exact same BSOD error codes (APC_INDEX_MISMATCH and a fault in wdf01000.sys)... for now, I've switched back to my USB Yamaha mixer, as I can't have random BSODs on a machine I use for work...

Heh... well, it's still 2.05, but it might be a newer build. Out of curiosity, how much RAM do you have?
Yeah, I noticed the unchanged driver version right after I posted. I have 4GB installed, 3.12GB usable (stupid ASUS mobo randomly sucking up the rest).
the root cause was a driver issue stemming from the audiodg.exe process.
I can't find that process/service on my setup. The closest that I find are services AudioSrv and AudioEndpointBuilder, both running at start. Is there something that I'm missing?

Yeah, I noticed the unchanged driver version right after I posted. I have 4GB installed, 3.12GB usable (stupid ASUS mobo randomly sucking up the rest).

I can't find that process/service on my setup. The closest that I find are services AudioSrv and AudioEndpointBuilder, both running at start. Is there something that I'm missing?

http://blogs.msdn.com/larryosterman/archive/2007/01/31/what-is-audiodg-exe.aspx

Yeah, that's the same link I found when looking up this process. I'll check again when I get home, but that process wasn't in my task manager and I didn't see it in my running or stopped process. It was 2:30am, maybe I overlooked it. I didn't bother looking for the physical executable to see if it actually exists on my pc, but I'll try that when I get home too.

What version of Win 7 are you using (I'm in Ultimate)? If it exists, have you disabled the mobo's integrated audio device?

Alright, a bit of an update because I noticed one very important thing about Win 7 64-bit, Sonar 8 64-bit, and the Lexicon Lambda...

I must've forgotten to switch my drivers from MME over to ASIO when I first got it all up and running. However, there are no detected audio interfaces when I switch to ASIO in Sonar. I'm not sure if this is an issue with Sonar, ASIO in-general on Win7 64-bit, or just the drivers I have installed with the Lambda AND my Creative X-Fi, but even ASIO4ALL is causing issues. More research needs to be done, and the Lambda drivers do not say they support Win7 yet, let alone 64-bit (they did, however, install just fine and the device does work in MME mode) but that no drivers are working in ASIO at all is disconcerting.

Anyone have any idea about ASIO and Win7 64-bit?

• 3 months later...

Alright, time for a bump. A most-frustrated bump.

I recently decided to get back into Windows 7 64-bit to take advantage of the higher memory cap and increased performance in Sonar. This actually stemmed from a project bundle I got from Luiza for a song we're working on. It wouldn't open because I have two drum VSTs: the one I use, and the one that she also uses (I recently got the one she uses so the projects can be shared easier, amongst other things). Long story short: the project wouldn't open and kept crashing because of the memory usage exceeding the 2 gb limit.

That's when I discovered the horrendous 64-bit support from Lexicon for their Alpha/Lambda/Omega line. Horrendous = there is no driver support for 64-bit. Well, at least none outside of the generic usb driver provided by microsoft, which is buggy at best and doesn't support ASIO at all.

While searching for a new interface, I stumbled upon this site:

http://rainrecording.com/windows-watch/

An incredible list of compatibility for audio interfaces with Windows Vista and 7, both 32-bit and 64-bit flavors. Definitely should be of use to people searching for compatible interfaces or seeing if theirs is compatible with an upgrade before they go through with the upgrade.

In other news, does anyone want to buy a like-new Lexicon Lambda? Has everything except the box! :lmassoff:

Edit: also something interesting on the site. Look at how those expensive Waves plugins are not 64-bit compatible! Imagine being a professional musician or producer, buying Waves Mercury, and having it not work with your 64-bit DAW. Unbelievable.

That's when I discovered the horrendous 64-bit support from Lexicon for their Alpha/Lambda/Omega line. Horrendous = there is no driver support for 64-bit. Well, at least none outside of the generic usb driver provided by microsoft, which is buggy at best and doesn't support ASIO at all.

Sorry to hear it, but good to know. I've contemplated switching to 64-bit, but knowing I'll need to get a new interface on top of the upgrade... I'll pass for now.