Sonic 3 Ice Cap Zone

noTuX

I know this song has been remixed 1,000,000 times, but I made a beat that sounded like it would mix pretty well with this theme. So, I am in the process of remixing the Ice Cap theme into a nice chill mix.

This is what I have so far...

http://www.mediafire.com/file/gzdqtrhgymn/Icy Azure.mp3

The link's broken. :/

Wow that's pretty good and chill!

It totally blows my Ice Cap Remix away.

However, I don't think the famous Ice Cap chord progression makes an entrance here anywhere... it's just the ACTUAL chord progression.

What I mean is that, in the original, there's the intro chord progression, and then a different one plays when the melody enters.

Here's just the different one.

It's not a problem, it would be nice to hear that well-known chord progression though. :)

Great work.

I think omitting the intro chords helps this from sounding like yet another ice cap zone remix, or... YAICZR(M) (I mean larry keeps pounding in the whole ReMix capitalization).

I dig the concept, building on the ice cap zone melody and progression, turning it into something I can sit down and completely and sanely zone out to.

And I find it ironic that a source tune whose title alludes to such a cold thing has not spawned more chill/relaxed offspring. If they could all sound this relaxing, let there be procreation.

I think omitting the intro chords helps this from sounding like yet another ice cap zone remix, or... YAICZR(M) (I mean larry keeps pounding in the whole ReMix capitalization).

I dig the concept, building on the ice cap zone melody and progression, turning it into something I can sit down and completely and sanely zone out to.

And I find it ironic that a source tune whose title alludes to such a cold thing has not spawned more chill/relaxed offspring. If they could all sound this relaxing, let there be procreation.

It wouldn't sound like the others anyway, because it doesn't have to be dominant. If it wasn't dominant, that's already a step away from the other remixes.

It could just have a small section somewhere, but not during the ice cap melody.

It wouldn't sound like the others anyway, because it doesn't have to be dominant. If it wasn't dominant, that's already a step away from the other remixes.

It could just have a small section somewhere, but not during the ice cap melody.

Thanks for the comments everyone. If you listen closely, you can spot the chord progression in there (I'm not gonna say where though). I just made it really subtle.

Update coming soon!

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE!!!

http://www.mediafire.com/?zmyimqfonht

I am in the process of introducing the Lava Reef Zone 2 theme in the mix. I had to make a few note changes, but the themes should still be recognizable.

I ended up looping the last two parts of the song just to make it bit longer, but it wont be like that on the final version.

Enjoy.

Yo dude, this is pretty chill.

The bass is nice and phat. I love it throughout the whole song.

I am not a huge fan of that electric piano honestly, it's tinkly, but not in a way that makes me feel it is clear, kinda in in-between setting. I think it has a tiny bit too much delay on it, and maybe not enough decay/release. So maybe make the stiffness either harder or softer, and add a tiny bit more decay and release, and eq it up a tad in the mid-higher freq? I am not sure, this is probably more of a personal preference thing.

The strings with the slow attack at about 1:00 get on my nerves. They play the melody, but are way back in the mix, and kinda slow the pace of a song that had some mildly nice energy. They kind of just take the energy out.

I recommend replacing them with something else, even a flute, or a synth, with a faster attack, and automate the places where you want there to specifically be some slow attack.

Also the string stabs (at around 2:00) also kind of bug me because of how far back in the mix they are, maybe double them with a synth or something else? They are to add emphasis, and they do that, but I think they could do it better.

The guitar that comes in at around 2:25 I think has just one note of delay too many, or the last one is a little too loud I guess? I think a fuller sound with that guitar wouldn't hurt, it's a little TOO tinkly for me, but again, personal preference.

As for the drums, I am a fan of the organicness of them, though I think they may be a TAD too wet. The snare hit that comes in later, I think maybe you should mess around and see if you have any other snares, it just sounds weak (which I think is what you are going for) but it also has no energy, and the point of the snare there is to give the mix more energy.

The song kind of meanders a little bit from the source, so maybe just up it a tad in the source in more of those little awesome subtle ways you have going, just to get the listener's attention every once in a while.

That string with the slow attack at the end, yeah still bugs me. Maybe you should try to find someone to play for you live?

GOOD LUCK, even though I kinda picked at it, I really enjoyed the atmosphere and complexity. :J

• 3 weeks later...

My first post in the Workshop boards. Hope I don't screw this up. I am not an experienced re-mixer but a lifelong listener and a silent fan of the community.

I enjoyed the first edition and am loving the newest addition. The original needed a stronger bass hit on the beats and my overpriced 5.1 headset respond well to the latest version. The transition to Lava Reef is flawless. Are my ears playin' tricks on me or do I hear a Windows Vista "Exclamation" at 2:05?

Confession time. I take downloaded mixes and drop them into Audition to "see" the track's waveform. I feel a little guilty sometimes, like I'm looking at something I shouldn't. Usually don't edit anything - just looking (if anything trimming silent beginnings/ends).</confession>

However I noticed in a new area starting at 2:24 of the current WIP there are several places the audio is clipped. This happens again just before the end in a section starting at 3:26. This isn't a big deal. Those sections sound incredible and they fit great with an arrangement that also sounds fantastic. I only mention this because it appears much attention was payed to the first edition to avoid clipped audio. A mix-wide drop of one or two db would allow the beats during the last two choruses hit harder/louder. There is no clipped audio in the first chorus starting at 1:01.

EDIT: Feeling a little abandoned by the ending. Don't know what would sound better, a fade or a longer ending hit, but something more.

Really, sir, fantastic work. I have to review my whole Ice Cap remix collection but I am damned sure this ranks at or near the top as the best. Looking forward too seeing this move from the Workshop to the OCR main page.

• 4 weeks later...