OCR01167 - *YES* Streets of Rage 'Drop and Roll'

djpretzel

someone forgot to tell you guys; this mix is boring! there's not a melody to speak of, barely any harmony, and very little change over an exausting five minutes. it's carried by its beat and occasional breaks and samples.

i dont know what you folks are on, but this was 5 minutes of loud, empty, boring, boringness.

NO

OK, so we've got lo-fi breaks connecting sparse progressions and melodic statements. What are you guys going nuts over? I can't recognize the original save for a few major taglines, and it seems like someone is using fruity loops and alternating between 3 drumloops while throwing in different synth patterns every few measures.

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot to like. The wah guitar is sick, bass is generally kickin', and synth programming is pretty good. However, this song consists of strewn-about ideas that need arrangement and a much more concise presentation. this is a 3:30 song in a 5:00 song's body. Slim er' down, she ain't gettin' no lovin' from me just yet.

NO

-D

Excellent drum programming. Very repetitive though. I don't feel that grooves make a mix though. I can recognize the themes, but this feels simplistic outside the actual drum elements.

I agree with vigilante and daniel. But to me the question is is it a good arrangement and is it technically passable?

Good arrangement of the material which to me is the most impressive part of the mix. At times it's a pretty mediocre composition in terms of elements. Electronica has never had too high standards in that aspect though. Pulled off well enough to be passable.

YES

OMG! OC ONLY POSTS ELECTRONICA! LOAL!

I agree with vigilante and daniel. But to me the question is is it a good arrangement and is it technically passable?

But that isnt the question at all. Just because the sequencing isnt bad and it isnt the same as the spc doesnt mean we should post it. just because there's nothing techincally wrong with the song doesnt make it a good song.

At times it's a pretty mediocre composition in terms of elements. Electronica has never had too high standards in that aspect though. Pulled off well enough to be passable.

That's ridiculous. "theres been a lot of crappy techno on OCR in the past, and this doesnt make my ears bleed, so lets post it."

Standards are rising!

This is an uneventful and boring piece of music. I cant see why anyone would want to listen past the 2 minute mark.

WORST. JUDGES. DECISION. EVER!

I agree with Mr. B and Mr. T; this really isn't that impressive. It's repetitious, strung out, progressively layered, and a bit boring. Nothing is going on here besides percussion, which is good. But there's no real arrangement save a few motifs thrown in here and there. I do like the sound of the breaks and the synths and the general groove, but looking at it from a composition standpoint as we do to everything else, I wouldn't have passed this.

NO

Frankly, I dont agree with the logic in any of the no votes. This is a style, and these are how these songs sound.

Anyway, not sure why this vote hasn't ended. We reached 4 yesses, and theres no tie. Rules are rules, so GG HF NO RUSH.

If anyone would like to bring up a veto-able point about this song other than "I dont really like it", or "I think its kinda boring", we can then debate it until we reach a resolution. To my knowledge, this song has no submission violations, plenty of arrangement, and at least 4 judges like it, so end of thread.

But that isnt the question at all. Just because the sequencing isnt bad and it isnt the same as the spc doesnt mean we should post it. just because there's nothing techincally wrong with the song doesnt make it a good song.

At times it's a pretty mediocre composition in terms of elements. Electronica has never had too high standards in that aspect though. Pulled off well enough to be passable.

That's ridiculous. "theres been a lot of crappy techno on OCR in the past, and this doesnt make my ears bleed, so lets post it."

Standards are rising!

This is an uneventful and boring piece of music. I cant see why anyone would want to listen past the 2 minute mark.

WORST. JUDGES. DECISION. EVER!

Let me rephrase what I just said. The compositional elements are basic compared to other genres, but that's what this particular genre calls for. As a personal statement, I found that aspect, as you did, simplistic.

I think the greater emphasis of my judgement was on the arrangement in this case. The arrangement itself, I found pretty creative considering the source material. The mixer includes interesting expanded material here and there and competently blends it with the mixing material.

While it may not be my personal favorite style, the mix does what it needs to. My vote was a borderline YES. I stand by my vote.

Though, in light of mahararaj's comments, I suggest the voting continue then as it seems we are 4-3.

to clarify, here are some more reasons why i dislike this mix.

Practically ZERO dynamics. all at the same volume level the whole time. it has some cutouts. that's not enough.

The drums are the same for nearly the whole song. there's one section of the song in which the beat is different.

the bassline is exactly the same for the whole song, again save for one section around 3:20 i believe, when it goes into quarter notes.

Nothing ever changes significantly enough for it to change the feel of the song.

There is really very little to listen to in this mix.

vig wanted me to chime in on this, so here's my complaints:

this is oversimplified. even the chemical brothers wouldn't abuse the style of big beat with so little going on and lack of forward momentum. the section at around 2:10 in particular, we just have the beat and a K-station lead. that section is embarrassingly sparse.

also the bass sound is WEAK. big beat should have a PHAT bass.

maybe it's just because i've been sick for the last few days, but these things don't bother me enough to give this mix a no. and i don't like it enough to give it a yes, so... uh, i'm gonna just lock this thread and consider the mix passed?