New Super Mario Bros. Wii

BardicKnowledge

In short: It's so awesome my wife if playing through it with me. Get it.

Slightly longer version: Really good use of the wiimote tilting controls, which surprised the hell out of me. Great, great stuff, though I'm missing Koopa Mario from the DS game quite a bit (the Penguin Suit equivalent quits sliding after a short while unless you're on ice). Much, MUCH better than the DS game though, whoever designed these levels is amazing.

Also Nintendo, fuck the Propeller Suit -- we want raccoons back.

I have nobody to play with right now, but I did make it to World 2-8, which had no checkpoint and made me RAGE because I was all prepared to fight the boss and he kicked my slow, poorly-coordinated ass.

Awesome fun, but the controls feel a little too "old school" for my liking. Mario controls fine, but it's more "Super Mario Bros 1" fine than "Super Mario World" fine. He skids a lot and his jumps feel heavy.

I played single player for a few hours today, a bit less with two player, and a group of friends and I are going to be trying out four player tomorrow, but just the two player mode by itself is probably my favorite co-op gaming experience, and I can't even imagine how good four players will be. And this is all coming from someone that thought the game looked pretty boring at E3.

My sister and I played it all afternoon and just made it to world 6. So much fun! But man, this game is hard! And I've played and beaten all the mario titles (Except the japanese Mario 2 NES, which is significantly harder than Lost Levels on SNES All Stars). Definitely a lot more fun than the DS version, which had fairly unoriginal level designs. I kinda felt like maybe Miyamoto didn't design them. But on Wii, those levels are awesome! Some really creative stuff going on there!

It's really good but sometimes it's frustrating when your brother jumps on your head making you fall into a pit.

Next time he dies, leave him in his bubble or take some good ol' fashioned revenge, which is the beauty of this game. :-P

I'll probably be playing this game solo unless I can get my "hur I'll only play games with Call and of Duty in the same sentence" to play.

I doubt any of my immediate family members here could get passed the "press B to shoot a fireball" mechanic...

This game is an absolute blast to play. Played it with four people last night, and loved every minute of it.

I think this game over the course of a few months is gonna outsell Modern Warfare 2.

Well, Reggie DID bet that it would outsell the 360 version of MW2(which is kind of a lame handicap), but I think it has a chance to outsell all SKUs of MW2 as well personally.

Well, Reggie DID bet that it would outsell the 360 version of MW2(which is kind of a lame handicap), but I think it has a chance to outsell all SKUs of MW2 as well personally.

I saw that video on Game Trailers with Reggie saying that, Geoff Keighley will only hold him to saying, "Well, you said it would outsell it in the first month!" I can't stand Keighley, he seems so arrogant, especially when he talks to Nintendo.

Of course, most of the viral messengers on forums, or "hardcore" gamers think he's off his rocker. But then again, we are talking about a small base of people compared to the actual large base of "casual" consumers(average consumer). Yet, it's funny how they'll only use sales numbers to back their claims of how bad/good a game is (at least to them). Mario Wii might not sell as many copies as the DS vers. did, but I think it will definitely be on the sales charts for a LONG time (as the DS vers. STILL is).

I find IGN's review hilarious. They docked points for the game because it's not like the 3-D Marios (hint: it's not supposed to be morons!), and the fact that it doesn't have online multiplayer (haven't reviewers come to terms with some major Wii games not having this?). And I doubt this game could even be as entertaining online as it is with all four people right there next to you. That's why I prefer playing games with people right next to me, rather than some obnoxious player who knows how to use the glitches in a game to his advantage...

My brother and I have played up until W4. So far, I'm blown away by the level design. There are so many little details and rewards and hidden areas to explore, yet if you want you can simply breeze through the levels.

I was a little skeptical about the simultaneous multiplayer thing at first, but after trying 2-player co-op I must say I'm pretty impressed. It's a surprisingly fun to bounce off each other and throw each other around. I'm REALLY looking forward to trying it with 3 or 4 players.

Also, the Coin Battle mode has a version of the 'Classic W1-1' level that has a lot of WTF? moments. The good kind of WTF? moments.

Also, the Coin Battle mode has a version of the 'Classic W1-1' level that has a lot of WTF? moments. The good kind of WTF? moments.

I just bought the game today, but won't be able to play it until I get done with classes tonight. Can someone confirm/deny if the Star Battle mode from NSMBDS is in there, with the wrap-around levels?

I doubt this game could even be as entertaining online as it is with all four people right there next to you. That's why I prefer playing games with people right next to me, rather than some obnoxious player who knows how to use the glitches in a game to his advantage...

I agree, I wouldn't even want to play a game like this over the internet, let alone with random people I don't know. But then again, that goes for Smash for me as well, so I might be in the minority.

It'll be fun to have some friends over to play this!

Can someone confirm/deny if the Star Battle mode from NSMBDS is in there, with the wrap-around levels?
I don't think so. The only modes available from the get go (aside from the main game) are Multiplayer Free for All (complete the stage and get ranked) and Coin Battle (whoever collects the most coins wins.)

I dunno if there are any unlockable modes, but I doubt there are.

I picked this game up yesterday, and it's awesome. I'm on world 3 now, and loving it. It definitely stands up to the best Mario platformers, and the multiplayer mode is awesome.

Also, funny story. I preordered at GameStop, and had the following conversation with a clerk there:

CLERK: Can I help you?

ME: Hi, I have a preorder on Super Mario Bros.

CLERK: What's that?

ME: Huh?

CLERK: What's that?

ME: ...

True story. My second bizarre experience at GameStop in under a month.

Well, there's lots of opportunities for extra lives and the like, but it's practically necessary, seeing as how often I've died (sometimes 10 times on the same part of a stage -- it activated the option for kind code, but I didn't take it. Too proud :P). You're not likely to see the Game Over screen, but then you're not likely to breeze past any level save the first world stuff, either.

Also, FINALLY! A ghost house appears in world 3! With 8 worlds, I'm wondering what the themes of the next 5 are... Nobody say it here though.

This is quite possibly the most frustrating game known to man. I bought it when it was released (and got a very impressive mario hat with it), and played it with friends that night.

I've never seen a group of people go through lives that quick. Ever.

Still, we spent the whole night basically saying "one more go", so I guess we must get some fun out of it. Some masochistic fun. :<