New Super Mario Bros. Wii

BardicKnowledge

Oh man, I love those levels! Usually I rush through levels but those dark ones force me to be patient and take my time. And I can push my teammates into the abyss.

That's always alright by me. ;)

I like the dark ones, too, with the exception of the dark underwater level. The first time through, I didn't even bother with the coins because I was too busy panicking. Swimming around in complete darkness, unable to see the bloopers until they're lunging straight into your face...once the fire flowers and mushrooms get beaten out of you, it's a nightmare.

So I got the game. It's a great, classic Mario platformer.

I didn't expect it to be nearly as difficult as it is. Which is really a pleasant surprise. From what I've played so far (first three worlds), they've pretty much nailed the difficulty curve. The bosses are easy as hell, but what else is new.

Co-op is pretty bad, though. I played a bunch with my roommate...well, tried to anyway. Mostly we just ended up getting in each other's way and making the game much more difficult than it had to be.

I like how it basically blends all the 2D Mario games together, although it definitely takes more from Mario 3 than anything else. Which is fine, but as a huge Mario World fanboy my nostalgia goggles aren't serving me as well as I expected. There's some other things I don't like about the game too, but they're all minor.

Overall a really great purchase!

Co-op is pretty bad, though. I played a bunch with my roommate...well, tried to anyway. Mostly we just ended up getting in each other's way and making the game much more difficult than it had to be.
Co-op

Found your problem. As Penny Arcade put it, this isn't Co-Op Mode, it's Divorce Mode. Play it like a griefing engine with friends (a la L4D's Versus Mode) to get the most out of it.

that's cool and all but something tells me picking up your ally and throwing him off a cliff is going to lose its entertainment value pretty fast.

It's not really working together that's fun, it's more fun to use the other person to your advantage (if you both agree not to kill each other for being selfish).

Throw the guy at an enemy, get some laughs, and the same thing happens to you. If you don't take things too seriously, you'll even laugh when you die.

And it's not like working together sucks.

When Shariq and I (try to) work together in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, it has its benefits and you get some laughs out of it too.

If you really hate getting in each other's way, you should try communicating more (that's really why I always die or accidentally kill Shariq when I play, I never tell him what I'm gonna do and it's bad for both of us.)

Just picked up the game for $10. Best use of $10 I've made in quite a while. Super Mario World is one of my top 10 favorite games ever, so since NSMBW takes a lot of elements from it, I couldn't be happier! I haven't heard Yoshi make that familiar "beepboo!" noise since Mariokart 64!

Co-op gives me mixed feelings. Co-operating and competing at the same time is pretty fun, but it gets rough. It feels like it holds back the level design, especially in levels that use the Penguin Suit. Castles become way more difficult, and somebody always ends up dying due to someone else's poorly-timed jump. Half the time, my friends simply retreated into their bubbles, and let me get thru all the hard parts before coming out. It was so cheap! I'm almost surprised that Nintendo implemented such an exploitable feature into the game. But still, we played the game for about 4 hours straight, and I can't remember the last time we all did that with a Nintendo game, so kudos are necessary.

Overall, an awesome game, and I am fully satisfied with my purchase.

It's more that co-op feels tacked on. The levels were designed for single player, and adding more people just makes things messy.

This is in contrast to, say, Left 4 Dead, which is clearly designed around co-op, and is much much better in that regard. Call it apples and oranges, but I have a ton more fun when the game makes it clear that you're actually supposed to work together, and in fact penalizes you when you don't. In NSMBW, it's nothing like that. Your ability to screw over your teammates is greater than your ability to help them, and when you are helping, it's in lame ways like letting your allies use you as a springboard.

The game doesn't actually reward you for working together, making co-op an exercise in frustration.

Sounds like the standard gameplay style meets Super Mario War to me... if anything, I think it'd be fun to get 4 really good players and have all of them try to speedrun the game at the same time.

Haven't gotten the game myself... probably will for Christmas, but overall, it sounds funner to kill each other for a while until everyone gets down to one life, at which point it's funner to stay alive and work together.

This is in contrast to, say, Left 4 Dead, which is clearly designed around co-op, and is much much better in that regard.

Maybe that has to do with the fact that you always have three teammates regardless of whether you're playing multiplayer?

If Nintendo designed a Mario game where you constantly have 3 horrible AIs following you around, then I'm pretty sure you'd all still be bitching.

The Co-op is fine. Quit jumping on each others heads like retards and you'll see how well it actually works.

Maybe that has to do with the fact that you always have three teammates regardless of whether you're playing multiplayer?

If Nintendo designed a Mario game where you constantly have 3 horrible AIs following you around, then I'm pretty sure you'd all still be bitching.

The Co-op is fine. Quit jumping on each others heads like retards and you'll see how well it actually works.

What he said. If everyone goes to the same place at the same time then its going to be as retarded as everyone huddling in the corner of an assembly hall, it looks stupid and you're stupid for doing it.

._.

Well. That was an interesting story.

Personally, I found the co-op great. My sister and I beat the game yesterday and are now just trying to collect all the star coins, which is not easy. The final boss was epic, and the music was awesome, but the final castle was way too short.

When playing co-op, my sister and I are very easily able to coordinate our actions and work together. Some parts are easier with two people, some parts are harder. But overall it's a lot of fun. Maybe it's just cause my sister and I have been playing mario since we were 4, but we didn't have many problems at all.